Christmas Goose Recipe
Thomas Sixt is a chef, food photographer and cookbook author.
Here he shares recipes, answers cooking questions and helps with cooking.
I present my Christmas goose recipe to you in this post.
I have prepared this summary for you so that the roast goose is served perfectly with fine side dishes.
I’ll show you in nine cooking videos : Buy goose, fill it, roast it, serve it crispy, prepare goose sauce, dumplings and red cabbage.
Today we go step by step to success and we also keep an eye on the kitchen timing for a stress-free cooking experience.
So if you want to prepare Martin goose or Christmas goose perfectly, you will find the right instructions here.
Good succeed! Please share this post on Facebook, thanks!
Table of Contents
- 1. Christmas Goose Recipe
- 2. Nutrition Facts and Calories
- 3. How to Perfectly Prepare Christmas Goose
- 4. Christmas Goose Preparation Time
- 5. Tips on Kitchen Timing and Preparation Plan
- 6. Nine Cooking Videos How to Prepare Christmas Goose with Side Dishes
- 7. How to Put a Vegetarian Christmas Goose on the Table
- 8. More Christmas Goose Side Dishes Ideas
- 9. More Recipes Ideas
1. Christmas Goose Recipe
The recipe is the first in this post.
Below it goes on with many tips about the preparation!
Cooked, photographed, translated and written down by chef Thomas Sixt.
Simple guide with 9 cooking videos to prepare roast goose with side dishes.
|1||Piece||goose (about 3.5 kg)|
|5||Piece||onions (for the filling)|
|5||Piece||apples (for the filling)|
|black ground pepper|
|cooked filling of goose (Apple and onions from the roast goose)|
|crushed, cooked goose bones|
|giblets and neck of the goose|
|gravy from the baking tray and dark goose fat|
|1||Piece||big potato (raw to finely grate and bind the goose sauce)|
|500||g||red cabbage finely chopped|
|150||ml||dry white wine (dry)|
|1||Piece||Bay leaf (put on the onion)|
|1||Piece||clove (poke through bay leaf and onion)|
Prepare roast goose
–> Defrost, wash and dry the goose.
–> Prepare the innards such as liver, stomach, heart, neck and belly fat in an extra bowl.
Prepare the filling:
–> Peel and quarter the onion and place in a large bowl.
–> Wash the apples and also cut into quarters, add to the onions.
–> Season the filling well with salt, pepper and marjoram.
–> Place the ready-to-cook goose, dabbed dry, on a deep baking tray seasoned with salt and pepper.
-> Fold the wings down and give the goose a good stand.
–> Place the filling in the abdomen, fix the legs crosswise in the incised abdominal flaps.
–> Season the goose from above with salt and pepper.
-> Pour the vegetable broth over the goose, then place in the cold oven and roast for 2-2.5 hours at 170° Celsius (338°F) hot air.
–> Pour the drippings over the goose after 30 minutes, lightly prick the skin of the legs and gently add salt to the goose after basting.
–> Repeat the basting of the goose with drippings at least 4 times during the entire cooking time.
–> Put the light goose fat from the tin into a bowl and use it later to make goose fat.
–> Allow the cooked goose to cool slightly and carve while warm – remove the legs and breasts and place on a baking tray with the skin facing up.
–> Remove the remaining meat from the goose with a small knife and use it later for goose Gröstl.
–> Place the entire filling in a saucepan, add the roasting fat and dark goose fat from the tray.
–> Pour the rest of the filling into the pot.
–> Put the prepared, finely chopped goose bones in the pot, there is already the fried filling, the still fresh apples and onions with marjoram (rest of the filling) and the roast starter from the baking tray.
–> Now fill up with veal stock and vegetable broth and simmer gently for at least 2 hours, preferably up to 4 hours.
-> Strain the sauce through a fine sieve, then reduce the sauce to the desired taste and thicken with fresh, finely grated raw potatoes.
–> Mix up the sauce, taste again and bring to the boil before serving and baste with the butter.
There is a detailed recipe for preparing napkin dumplings .
–> Heat about 30 grams of butter in a saucepan, add diced onions and sauté until colourless.
–> Pour in the milk, bring to the boil and season generously with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
–> Pour the milk and onion stand over the prepared bread cubes and mix well.
–> Let the bread mixture cool down a bit, then fold in the beaten eggs and leave the mixture to stand for 15-20 minutes.
–> Heat the remaining butter, lay out lengths of aluminum foil, finely chop the parsley and mix into the hand-warm dumpling mixture.
–> Season the breadcrumbs again with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
–> Generously brush the lengths of aluminum foil with butter, then divide the breadcrumbs, fold the aluminum foil together and form even sausages – twisting the ends together.
–> Cook the serviette bread dumplings in the aluminum foil either over steam, in a steam cooker or in slightly boiling water for 40-50 minutes, depending on the thickness.
–> Unpack the bread dumplings, either keep them warm immediately or wrap them in cling film.
–> Shortly before serving, cut the hot dumplings into diagonal slices and prepare them for serving.
-> You can also fry the dumpling slices in butter.
There is a detailed recipe with step-by-step photos for preparing red cabbage .
–> Mix the finely chopped red cabbage with chicken broth, apple sauce, cranberries, white wine, balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper – knead the red cabbage well.
–> The marinated red cabbage can now be marinated in the pan in the refrigerator overnight or prepared immediately.
–> Before bringing to the boil, add the halved onion studded with bay leaf and cloves.
–> Bring the red cabbage to the boil with the lid on, then simmer gently for 1.5-2.5 hours with the lid on. If necessary, add a little more vegetable broth.
–> Season the red cabbage with salt and pepper and keep it hot ready to serve.
–> Once the guests have arrived, lightly salt the goose pieces and fry them crispy under the grill at approx. 230 °C (446°F).
–> Heat the plates to serve.
–> Heat the goose side dishes.
–> Heat the sauce and mix with cold butter.
–> Place the boiling red cabbage in a sieve.
–> Carve the crispy cooked goose breast and leg of goose and place on the plate.
–> Arrange the drained red cabbage on the plate.
–> Add the dumpling slices
–> Pour the sauce onto the plate and serve.
I wish you a good appetite and a wonderful Christmas!
2. Nutrition Facts and Calories
3. How to Perfectly Prepare Christmas Goose
Get all the ingredients for the roast poultry, side dishes and sauce…I wrote you some information right away:
Poultry Roast and Gravy:
- Buy goose: Buy fresh or frozen poultry .
- Defrost poultry : Place on a deep baking tray overnight, cover with tea towel.
- Sauce in best of variant : cook a veal stock yourself or buy it in a jar.
- Filling : Prepare enough onions , apples and marjoram or mugwort
The classic filling for roast goose consists of onions , apple and mugwort .Shopping tip from chef Thomas Sixt
Frozen geese are better , the meat is more tender !
A little background knowledge and tradition:
Mugwort and/or marjoram as an addition have a cultural background:
The mugwort whose botanical name is Artemisia vulgaris is specifically related to Artemis.
This is the Greek goddess of the wild hunt, the virgin warlike moon goddess,
the mistress of medicinal plants and herbalists as well as the patron saint of wild animals and protector of women and guardian of childbirth.
Mugwort and marjoram support the taste and fat burning of high-fat dishes, so these herbs are ideal for roast poultry.
- Red cabbage : I usually cook it myself the day before.
- Prepared red cabbage : You can buy red cabbage frozen or in a jar and refine it
- Ködel as a side dish : prepare serviette dumplings with bread rolls or pretzel sticks , alternatively potato dumplings .
4. Christmas Goose Preparation Time
Depending on the oven and the weight of the goose, the cooking time is 2.5-3 hours at a temperature of 170 ° Celsius (338°F) in the hot air oven setting .
If you use bottom and top heat , frequent turning of the roast poultry is necessary for an even cooking result .
How long does the goose take in the oven? The preparation time of the “Videogans” with a weight of 3.5 kg: 2 hoursCooking tip: how long does the goose need in the oven from chef Thomas Sixt
5. Tips on Kitchen Timing and Preparation Plan
To make cooking fun, here are a few tips from the professional kitchen for optimal timing…
- Think of the red cabbage, ideally cook it the day before.
- Put your roast poultry in the oven in the morning if you want to put the roast on the table in the evening.
- Release of the roast poultry around 12 o’clock .
- Carve the breast, drumsticks and meat from the carcass and place skin side up on a baking sheet .
- Use the carcass, stuffing, offal, neck and parts of the drippings with veal stock to prepare the goose sauce .
- Take care of the side dishes in the afternoon .
- Strain the goose sauce after 2-3 hours cooking time , bind and prepare .
Later, heat the pieces of goose under the grill until crispy , serve the heated side dishes and serve the delicious roast poultry with the sauce .
Star Chefs would be happy about this classic roast poultry!Promises chef Thomas Sixt, who was in the kitchen with these chefs!
6. Nine Cooking Videos How to Prepare Christmas Goose with Side Dishes
In the introduction I promised you some videos for the preparation.
You can find the entire preparation of roast poultry, side dishes and sauce with all the tips as a complete playlist here .
You could watch the entire preparation at your leisure and take all the tips with you :-)!
6.1 Video Cooking Goose in the Oven
6.2 Red Cabbage as Side Dishes
I cook the red cabbage fresh the day before because it is already prepared.
In addition, the red cabbage simply tastes better reheated several times.
6.3 Dumplings as a Side Dish
You can prepare bread dumplings or napkin dumplings.
I show you how to prepare the serving dumplings in the video.
If you want to save time here, you can use a ready-made dumpling.
Half and half potato dumplings have proven themselves as a side dish.
You can find even more information, variants and tips in the recipe for napkin dumplings.
Video Preparing Dumpling Mass:
Wrap the Dumpling Mass in Aluminum Foil Video
6.4 Cook Roast Goose Perfectly Crispy
Pour the gravy over the goose every 20 minutes and don’t forget to add salt.
6.5 Trigger or Carve Roast Goose
Here is the description to make sure it works:
- First remove the thighs , then the breasts along the sternum .
- Remove the remaining goose meat from the bone with a small knife and use it for Gröstl .
- Place shelled goose pieces skin- side up on a baking sheet .
- The goose legs can be divided again at the joint, breasts should only be divided after the crispy grilling so that they remain juicy .
With my way of preparing roast goose, the goose has already been released before the guests arrive.Serve stress-free roast goose Tip from chef Thomas Sixt
This is how I bring the pieces of goose to the plate perfectly cooked and crispy.
Shortly before serving, the goose pieces are put back into the oven on the grill with hot air at 220°C (428°F).
This way I can cook the goose pieces exactly hot and crispy. This relieves the strain in the kitchen and delivers an optimal result.
6.6 Prepare Goose Sauce
Once the goose has been roasted and raised , there is still time to use the carcasses to cook a great goose sauce that really deserves its name.
Here are the instructions in short:
- Sauté apple pieces , finely chopped onions and marjoram in a tall saucepan. You can use goose fat !
- Add the carcasses , leftovers from the pan with a little goose fat or only the dark roast fat.
- You can also put the innards, wings and neck or collar that you have saved in the goose sauce.
- Top up with veal stock and simmer gently for 2 (at least) to 4 hours .
Once the taste has developed sufficiently, you can pass the sauce through a fine sieve.
Then bring to the boil and reduce (boil down).
Now bring to the boil and thicken with cold cornstarch or with a freshly grated potato.
Season to taste and prepare for serving.
Mix the sauce with cold butter before serving and season again with salt and pepper if necessary.
For an even better overview I have additionally added a separate sauce for roast goose recipe here on the blog
Here the videos….
Prepare Goose Sauce:
Bind and Finalize Sauce:
6.7 Prepare and Serve the Roast Goose until it is Crispy
Finish the roast poultry and serve with side dishes :
- Cut the dumplings at an angle on a tray and keep them warm .
- Bring the red cabbage to the boil , drain the cabbage in a sieve.
- Boil the sauce and mix with ice-cold butter .
- Get the plates hot . The food is only served hot on hot plates!
- Heat the pieces of goose on the tray with the skin up under the grill until crispy.
Serve the Goose with the Crispy Skin and Side Dishes
7. How to Put a Vegetarian Christmas Goose on the Table
Based on a current Facebook survey, I developed and created a recipe for vegetarian Christmas goose.
Get inspired and do something good for yourself and the planet!
I will show you how to prepare red cabbage yourself in a detailed article with lots of pictures and step-by-step instructions.
Click here for the recipe red cabbage
8. More Christmas Goose Side Dishes Ideas
In addition to the classic side dishes presented here, the following also fit:
8.1 Filling side dishes for roast goose
8.2 Vegetable Side Dishes for Roast Goose
8.3 Sweet Additions to Roast Goose
In addition to cranberries, you can serve the following homemade sweets:
9. More Recipes Ideas
Comments, Cooking Questions and Answers
Below you can write to me directly.
Please don't forget the star rating on the recipe, 5 stars means you liked it!