WOW, delicious, the recipe Pumkin Soup with Ginger makes you happy if you dare to go to the stove! In the following article you will get all my chef tips served directly.
In addition to ginger, I combine curry and turmeric with this soup. This results in a tasteful splendour and promotes health.
This is the ideal pumpkin cream soup if you cook for guests. You can quickly exchange the shrimps for smoked tufo. So you make your vegan guests a real pleasure. Good luck!
1. Pumpkin Cream Soup with Ginger and Curry
I love this soup because it tastes really exciting because of the ingredients. In the pumpkin season variety is in demand and this soup was and is always a great change to the traditional pumpkin soup. Get some fresh ginger and madras curry, I think it goes best with the soup. A secret tip right at the beginning: wherever curry comes in, always season it with something sweet, this makes the curry and the entire preparation a treat for the palate and you will enjoy it twice as much.
Always add some brown sugar, honey or agave syrup to the curry to make the soup smooth.
The recipe for the pumpkin soup is ideal for the guest kitchen and you’ll find it at the end of this page, below I give you some short tips for exchanging the soup insert. I have used shrimps here, you can also vary this soup with pieces of salmon or vegetarian or vegan with smoked tofu and make all your guests happy.
2. Variations of this Pumpkin Soup, Coconut Milk or Soya Cream, Shrimps or Salmon or veggie with smoked Tofu
The title says it all anyway, but I’ll go into the modifications in detail: You can prepare this soup with or without coconut milk or soy cream. Both variants are successful. When guests come I recommend the neutral tasting soy cream.
My advice: The coconut taste is not everyone’s cup of tea!
You can easily replace the prawns with salmon, don’t do any work here but cut the raw salmon into small cubes of 0.5 cm and put the pieces of salmon raw into the soup plate, the pieces of salmon then cook in the boiling hot soup (poach quasi in the plate) which you pour or pour over it. Once stirred, the salmon pieces are cooked.
There is also a tip to the smoked tofu: Put the smoked tofu cut into cubes decoratively into the soup and bread the tofu with sesame, as I show in the dish tofu with sesame.
For exact quantities you will find my recipe for the pumpkin soup in the following. I wish you every success!
- 200-300 g pumpkin Hokkaido Pumpkin or Butternut Pumpkin
- 1 pc onion or shalotts
- 50 g Butter
- 40 ml dry white wine
- 500 ml vegetable broth
- 4 slices ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 pinches black pepper
- 3 pinches nutmeg
- 1 pinches Chili
- 1 tbsp Curry madras curry
- 1 tsp curcuma
- 1/2 tsp brown cane sugar or honey or agave syrup
- 150 ml coconut milk or soy cream both optional, makes the soup creamy
- 4-6 pc prawns Defrosted, peeled, ready to go
- 80 g smoked tofu
- 1 cups cress
- 2 tsp soy soße
- 1 tsp Sesam Light, dark or mixed
- 1 tbsp red berries or goji berries
- Wash the pumpkin, clean the pumpkin skin, cut off the stems, halve the pumpkin and scrape out the seeds with a tablespoon. For this soup you can use Hokkaido pumpkin or Butternut pumpkin, I have tried the recipe with both pumpkin varieties.
- Cut the pumpkin pieces into small pieces and sauté them together with the onion cubes in a pot with half the butter for 10 minutes. Refrigerate the remaining butter, use it shortly before serving to froth the soup. Note: The pumpkin soup is ready faster if you cut your pumpkin pieces as small as possible. Cubes or pieces of 2-3 cm are ideal!
- Deglaze with dry white wine and add vegetable stock. Season the soup with salt, pepper, nutmeg, chilli, curry and turmeric and LESS sugar. The pumpkin pieces in the pot should be well covered with water.
- Add the peeled ginger and cut into small pieces and let the soup simmer slightly without lid. Note: If you put the lid on the soup, the colour changes towards grey. Therefore it is better to cook with an open lid.
- Allow the pumpkin soup to simmer for at least 20 minutes. Then bring the soup to the boil, optionally add coconut milk or soy whip, puree with a blender and leave to simmer for another 5 minutes at moderate heat. The rest period actually makes a big difference in the development of the taste of the soup. Please try it yourself!
- Cut the shrimps in half lengthwise until they reach the fin, then fry them briefly in a pan with a little oil. The shrimps twist optically beautifully and can be better served in the soup. Note: You can easily replace the shrimps with smoked tofu, the soup is otherwise vegan and therefore wonderfully suitable for appropriate guests.
- Season the soup to taste, mix with the cold butter until frothy and arrange in warm soup plates. Add the fried prawns in the middle, decorate with sesame seeds, cress, soy sauce and red berries and serve.