Pumpkin Cream Soup Recipe
Thomas Sixt is a chef, food photographer and cookbook author.
Here he shares recipes, answers cooking questions and helps with cooking.
The pumpkin cream soup recipe with pumpkin seed oil, dill and bacon is a classic for all friends of Austrian cuisine.
Styria is a wonderful federal state in Austria and has a lot to offer in terms of cuisine and landscape.
You prepare this pumpkin soup with whipped cream (cream), coconut milk has no place here.
The only outlier I allow myself is ginger, which many of my Styrian friends like to add to the soup.
You can find ginger in the ingredient list as an option.
What is special about this traditional pumpkin soup?
Creamy appearance, crispy cubes of black bread, dill, crispy bacon and freshly torn horseradish make this soup a top highlight of Austrian cuisine.
Please try it out and enjoy!
Table of Contents
1. Recipe Pumpkin Cream Soup
Conjure up a great soup on your plate and enjoy fine cuisine at home.
Pumpkin Cream Soup
Cooked, photographed and written down by chef Thomas Sixt.
Prepare simple instructions for cream soup with pumpkin.
|400||g||pumpkin (Hokkaido squash or nutmeg squash)|
|1||pc||glove of garlic|
|black ground pepper|
|40||ml||dry white wine (or Prosecco)|
|1||cup||Cream (Cream means whipped cream in Austria)|
|1||tbsp||dill (dried or fresh)|
|1||EL||horseradish (freshly torn)|
|50||g||horseradish (Chilled to mix up the soup before serving)|
|4||tsp||pumpkin seed oil|
Halve the pumpkin with the peel, remove the stalks and scrape out the seeds with a spoon.
Use Hokkaisdo squash and butternut squash in their skins, please peel the nutmeg squash.
Cut the pumpkin pieces into small pieces and put them in the pot.
Peel the onion and garlic and cut into fine cubes.
Top up the soup with vegetable stock, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Pour in some dry white wine.
Boil the soup and let it simmer for about 25 minutes.
Boil the soup with the soft cooked pumpkin pieces.
Slowly pour the cream into the boiling soup and mix with the hand blender.
Prepare the ingredients for the soup:
Crisp the bacon cubes in a pan.
Then drain in a sieve and prepare for serving.
Cut the bread cubes into 1 cm cubes and fry in butter until crispy.
Alternatively, you can use bacon fat instead of butter.
Prepare pumpkin seeds
Roast the pumpkin seeds in a pan, season with salt and prepare to serve.
Before serving, mix the pumpkin cream soup with cold butter until fluffy.
Serve the pumpkin cream soup in warmed soup plates.
Add the prepared soup toppings.
Decorate attractively with pumpkin seed oil, dill and horseradish.
Serve quickly, I wish you a good appetite!
2. Calories (Kcal) and Nutritional Values
3. Simply Prepare Pumpkin Cream Soup Yourself
Here I describe the simplest way of preparing soup step by step:
- Squash shopping: Hokkaido, nutmeg or butternut squash.
- Scooping: Cut the squash in half with a knife, scrape out and remove the seeds with a spoon.
- Peel & Clean: Remove the skin thinly with a knife.
- Note: With the Hokkaido, you can use the peel and save yourself the peeling.
- Cut into small pieces: Cut the pumpkin with peel or peeled pumpkin into small pieces.
- Provide high pot: Place the pumpkin pieces in a high pot.
- Onion and garlic: Peel one onion and garlic clove, cut into small pieces, add.
- Optional ginger: Place a slice of ginger with the vegetables.
- Make soup: Cover ingredients in pot with water, add vegetable broth (powder or cube), season with salt, pepper, nutmeg.
- Add white wine: Add a little dry white wine.
- Boil soup: Bring the soup mixture to a boil and simmer until slightly simmering, 25 minutes.
- Add cream: Bring the soup to a boil again, add whipped cream (cream) to the boiling soup, then it will not flocculate.
- Blend the soup: Blend the soup with a hand blender.
- Let the taste develop: Now let the soup sit next to the stove for about 8 minutes.
- Strain: Strain through a fine sieve to taste, or have ready as prepared.
- Prepare the soup ingredients: Brown black bread cubes in butter and season with salt and pepper, bacon cubes, provide dill, horseradish (horseradish) finely torn provide. Put pumpkin seed oil ready to hand in position.
- Arrange soup: The pumpkin soup final with cold butter mix and foam up, arrange, soup inserts in addition direct and serve quickly.
A Star Chef is coming to visit? Cook him this soup, he will love it!Says chef Thomas Sixt
4. More Ideas with Pumpkin
Comments, Cooking Questions and Answers
Below you can write to me directly.
Please don't forget the star rating on the recipe, 5 stars means you liked it!
Great recipe, great video, great photos, great taste, great blog!
Horseradish and dill give the soup a great final touch! I find it very good, tasted fantastic.
As a chef from Styria, I would like to send a compliment to my dear colleague Sixt. Really well done. Greetings from Horst
As stupid as that sounds… I've never made croutons myself… now I'll make them with every soup 😉