OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Now comes my great recipe for Brussels Sprouts fry. Preparing the autumn and winter vegetables in a simple, excellent and tasty way is the subject of this article.
Maybe you don’t know the green cabbage buds yet! I’ll show you how to become a vegetable fan with this wonderful preparation.
The dish is vegetarian, quick and easy to prepare. So your dinner will be light and healthy, because Brussels sprouts are as digestible as a light food.
Caramelized Brussels sprouts – you will lick your fingers after it!
I bet with you, with this food you inspire even your children and grandchildren: Guaranteed radiance with the small ones and no face acrobatics 😉
The preparation is quick and we can start right away. Let’s go to the kitchen, the food doesn’t cook itself.
- 1. Delicious Brussels Sprouts Preparation, a small Overview
- 2. Boil Brussels Sprouts
- 3. Roast Brussels Sprouts in the Pan
- 4. Gourmet Version like Alfons Schubeck’s
- 5. Vegetarian Main Course
- 6. This Way to the Recipe
- 7. Calories and Nutritional Values at a Glance
- 8.More Ideas for your Vegetable Kitchen
1. Delicious Brussels Sprouts Preparation, a small Overview
Brussels cabbage is usually first blanched and then served with cream, bacon cream or butter crumbs.
From the classic cuisine we know the béchamel sauce and the sauce Mornay, which is a sauce béchamel with cheese.
The fine vegetable sprouts have many fans among raw food fans, I will announce myself to the Rosenkohlsalat still another place.
Then I would like to mention the baked varieties! The cabbage cooked before can be prepared wonderfully as a kale run in the oven.
My favourite variation is the caramelized Brussels sprouts. Before roasting, the cabbage must nevertheless make a free float in boiling water, the only way to put it on the plate is to suit the palate.
So let’s start with the basic preparation…
2. Boil Brussels Sprouts
Important information first! Please do not keep the green vegetables warm for too long, otherwise the grey shade will come over your heads.
In other words: cooks blanch the cleaned sprouts either whole or divided into leaves.
The vegetables, cooked until firm to the bite, are then allowed to cool into the ice water for a frightening cooling.
Blanch the vegetables and then add them to the ice water to retain the green colour!
After cooling down, you can continue processing the sprouts as you like!
Cook cabbage vegetables better – the irritating substances are lost and the vegetables are more digestible!
2.1 Brussels Sprouts Grandmother Style
In traditional cuisine, grandma has peeled the Brussels sprouts, i.e. cut the style and removed outer, wilted leaves. Then she cut the stem crosswise.
Prepare cabbage sprouts whole: Please cut the stem so that the sprouts cook evenly!
The cabbage was cooked in plenty of salted water and then poured into a sieve.
A short quenching under cold water and the cabbage was ready afterwards.
If grandma was in a good mood, she’d add some butter and grated nutmeg.
I see you smiling – I think you know it too!
2.2 Boiling Time Cabbage Sprouts
The cooking time of the green heads is different for each variant. So that you are sure, here is my list of shoots…
- Brussels sprouts cooked whole (traditional) takes about 10 minutes.
- Cut the cabbage florets in half and cook them in salted water for about 5-7 minutes, then in an ice bath.
- You cook the cabbage leaves in salted water for only 2-3 minutes, then you have to put them in the ice bath!
3. Roast Brussels Sprouts in the Pan
It is not an invention of modern times and yet has only recently become known in many circles.
The roasted cabbage sprout tastes delicious, because great aromas are formed during frying: Sweet due to roasting and slightly bitter due to the Brussels sprouts themselves.
Clean, halve and blanch the Brussels sprouts, then fry immediately in the pan with a little butter.
4. Gourmet Version like Alfons Schubeck’s
For the connoisseurs and gourmets…
The gourmet version á la Alfons Schubeck or Heinz Winkler goes as follows:
- Pick the cabbage sprout heads first, because you can pluck the individual leaves from each cabbage bud. I like to do something like that in front of the TV…
- The leaves are then allowed for 3 minutes in boiling and strongly salted water.
- Then the green, tender leaves come into the ice water, so that the cooking process is interrupted.
Now you can prepare several variations:
- Sauté briefly in foamed butter and heat.
- Swing in brown butter and heat.
- Finish with bacon and cream sauce.
Season all variations with salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne pepper.
5. Vegetarian Main Course
I like my Rosenkohl dish vegetarian and pure. This is a fine dinner for me and the cabbage itself tastes very exciting because of the way I prepare it.
Roasted rose cabbage and homemade mashed potatoes… This is a wonderful soulfood and is good for body and soul!
Fully decadent: Before serving add some truffle oil to the puree.
Preparing mashed potatoes freshly:
- Peel floury potatoes and chop them evenly into small pieces.
- Cook in a pot covered with salted water until soft.
- Drain the water and put the potatoes back in the pot.
- Add cream, butter, salt, pepper and some finely grated nutmeg.
- Beat fluffy with a hand mixer (whisk).
That’s all I need…
You are hungry for meat and would like to have some meatballs or Nürnberger Bratwurst – because of me, it is your food 😉
6. This Way to the Recipe
Below you will find the photo steps and all information. In the finale I have kept a fine secret ingredient, you can find it in the recipe. Mhhh tasty… wish you good luck and look forward to questions about the comment function.
OTHER LANGUAGES: German