OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Here I show you my Plum Cake recipe.
In the baking book “So backt dat” by the countrywomen from CUX-Land it says on the page for plum cake:
Friendship means being able to forget what you gave and remember what you received. Alexandre Dumas
Isn’t that beautiful? What do we remember from our childhood? The most loving woman of whom I could say back at home with my parents: “With grandma I can do that! And she also always baked so beautifully, namely the greatest plum cake in the world!
I learned a few things from Grandma’s plum cake recipe. I would like to tell you about this wonderful heritage in my fruitcake recipe with plums.
One thing first: The cake recipe is with the so-called plums, which are also plums.
Have fun in your bakery, maybe Grandma will drop by for a cake dinner!
1. Plum versus Damson
- The damson is a subspecies of the plum.
- The fruits of the damson are blue. The plum fruits can be blue, red or yellow.
- Plums are roundish, damsons rather elongated-oval.
- Plums are often larger than damsons.
- Damsons have a distinct seam, plums have a weaker seam.
- The core of the ripe damson can easily be separated from the flesh, the core of the ripe plum cannot.
- Plums disintegrate during cooking, while damsons retain their shape.
Damson plums are dimensionally stable and easy to process. This is an important reason why plum cakes are usually topped with damsons.
2. Cake with Sponge Dough
The nostalgic plum cake with sponge mixture not only succeeds grandma but also us. It is easy and quick to make.
First I start with the fruit topping:
- Wash the plums, pat dry, halve and pit them.
- Marinate the plum halves with cinnamon and sugar in a bowl.
- I spread the cake tin with plenty of soft butter.
Preheat oven at 190 °C hot air. You can bake the cake on top or bottom heat. There you should preheat at about 200 °C and bake.
Then it’s time for the dough preparation:
- Mix the ingredients as shown in the order shown below in the recipe section.
- The dough should have a nice volume, which means we stir the dough for a very long time.
- The plum goes well with rum. Some rum therefore, do not drink but stir into the dough 😉
3. Here is the Baking Recipe
How Grandma did it step by step, I explain to you in detail and many photos now in the recipe section.
In good memory of grandma! Have fun baking!
OTHER LANGUAGES: German