Vegan Pumpkin Soup Recipe
Thomas Sixt is a chef, food photographer and cookbook author.
Here he shares recipes, answers cooking questions and helps with cooking.
I love to cook the vegan pumpkin soup recipe in autumn.
The pumpkin is not peeled and the soup is on the table in less than 40 minutes.
Did you know that orange juice in pumpkin soup gives a great taste experience?
Try it out and let yourself be inspired.
Conjure up a vegan soup for your loved ones. Good succeed!
Table of Contents
1. Recipe Vegan Pumpkin Soup
For exact quantities you will find my exact instructions with quantities in the following. I wish you good luck!
Vegan Pumpkin Soup
Cooked, photographed and written down by chef Thomas Sixt.
Simple guide for preparing creamy vegan pumpkin soup.
|1||pc||pumpkin (Hokkaido squash or butternut squash)|
|1||pc||potato (optional for creamier cream of pumpkin soup)|
|1||l||Vegetable broth (or soup powder)|
|1/2||pc||glove of garlic|
|6||g||Ginger (1-2 thin slices of ginger)|
|1||Stück||Orange (Or 80 ml of juice)|
|4||pinches||black ground pepper|
|2||pinches||brown cane sugar (I use raw cane sugar)|
|4||tbsp||fresh pumpkin seeds|
|4||tbsp||pumpkin seed oil|
|4||tbsp||soy cream (I use soy yogurt)|
Variant of butternut squash
Prepare butternut squash
Wash the butternut squash, drain and place on a cutting board.
Halve the butternut squash
Halve the butternut squash in front of the rounded bottom.
Peel butternut squash
Peel the top roll of the butternut squash with the vegetable peeler.
Scoop out the butternut squash
Scoop out the rounded bottom of the butternut squash with a spoon.
You can now peel the fruit body or use it to serve the soup.
Dice butternut squash
Cut butternut squash flesh into 2 cm cubes and set aside for further processing.
Variant Hokkaido pumpkin
Prepare Hokkaido squash
Cut off the top and bottom of the Hokkaido squash and place the round squash firmly on the cutting board.
Scrape out the Hokkaido pumpkin
Halve the Hokkaido pumpkin with a sharp knife and scrape out the pumpkin seeds.
Cut Hokkaido squash
Cut the Hokkaido pumpkin halves into 1.5 cm thick slices.
Dice Hokkaido squash
Dice the Hokkaido pumpkin flesh with the skin.
Pumpkin pieces in a pot
Place the prepared pumpkin pieces in a large saucepan.
For a particularly creamy pumpkin soup, wash one or two floury potatoes, peel and cut into small pieces.
Place the potato pieces with the pumpkin in the pot.
The starch of the potato binds the soup later when cooking.
Halve, peel and finely dice the onions. Put diced onion in the pot.
Fill the vegetables in the saucepan with aromatic vegetable stock and slowly bring to the boil.
Peel the garlic and finely dice half a clove of garlic.
Add the garlic cubes to the soup
Thinly peel the ginger root with a knife and cut into fine cubes.
Optionally, you can also prepare turmeric. -> Put in the soup.
Cook pumpkin soup
Let the soup start simmer gently for 25-30 minutes.
Avoid putting a lid on it, this will preserve the beautiful color of the pumpkin.
Prepare orange juice
Squeeze the orange juice from an orange and add to the soup
Roast pumpkin seeds
Roast the pumpkin seeds in a pan and season with salt.
Prepare for serving.
Puree or mix the soup with the soft boiled pumpkin vegetables.
-> I almost always use a hand blender for this.
After blending, let the soup stand by the stove for 10-15 minutes.
-> The taste of the pumpkin develops better this way.
Make pumpkin soup
Season the soup with salt, pepper, a little sugar and chilli.
Before serving, bring to the boil and mix again with the hand blender.
–> Pour the soup into warmed soup plates.
–> Decorate each plate with a spoonful of soy yoghurt in the middle.
–> Sprinkle the prepared, roasted pumpkin seeds on the soup.
-> Apply a few drops of pumpkin seed oil and serve quickly.
The video instructions show you the preparation of the soup as an example.
2. Calories (Kcal) and Nutritional Values
3. Ingredients for Vegan Pumpkin Soup
It’s easier than you think! You prepare this soup with vegetable broth and plant-based cream .
Soy cream is an alternative to cow’s milk cream .
In the vegetable section, you can grab butternut squash, nutmeg squash , or Hokkaido squash.
Varieties with a light skin are better because the soup gets a great color.
That answers the same question about peeling . I cook Hokkaido pumpkin in the soup with the skin on, I prefer to peel other varieties.
You want it 100% vegan ? Use olive oil instead of butter !Ingredients tip from chef Thomas Sixt
4. Prepare Vegan Pumpkin Soup Quickly and Easily
Overview of the preparation:
- Prepare the pumpkin: Cut the ball in half and remove the seeds with a tablespoon.
- Prepare: Cut off the unsightly parts of the pumpkin peel and style attachments.
- Peel: thinly cut the pumpkin skin or cut into small pieces with the skin.
- Dressing: Put the pumpkin pieces in a pot with chopped onions and cover with water.
- Seasoning: Season with a little vegetable broth powder, plus salt, pepper, nutmeg and chili.
- Bring to the boil: Bring the soup mixture to a slow boil without a lid.
- Flavoring: Add some finely chopped garlic and ginger.
- Binding: Add a small chopped potato if desired.
- Cook: Simmer the soup for 30 minutes at moderate heat until slightly simmering.
- Blend: Blend with a hand blender, add a little orange juice to taste.
- Serve: Serve directly as a simple soup or
- Refine: Bring the soup to the boil again and refine with soy cream or coconut milk.
The cream soup has a stronger pumpkin flavor if you add soy cream .
Coconut milk gives the soup an Asian touch . Then add soy sauce and lime juice .
You can season both soup variants lightly or strongly with turmeric and curry .
The vegetable soup will be creamier if you cook one or two chopped potatoes with it .Tips for thickening the cream soup from chef Thomas Sixt
5. Vegan Ideas for Soup Accompaniments and Decoration of the Pumpkin Soup
The presented pumpkin soup with orange juice tastes slightly sour and the orange flavor goes well with the pumpkin.
The orange juice gives the soup a pleasant depth of taste.
With the right amount of OJ you can conjure up a balanced acidity in the soup.
Season the soup with a little orange juice !Ingredients tip from chef Thomas Sixt
Modify the soup according to your own taste , supplement and refine with these ideas :
Vegetables and deposits:
– Finely chopped raw spring onion slices or thin spring onion strips
– Carrots , celery and leeks , blanched briefly and al dente, cut into fine strips
– Finely diced , cooked al dente pumpkin cubes
– Sliced or diced smoked tofu or tofu coated with sesame seeds
Decoration and herbs as well as superfoods:
– Touches of color : –> Fresh and dried pomegranate seeds , goji berries , red pepper , barberries
– Herbs : –> Fresh coriander , dill , parsley , cress or sprouts
– Creamy : Vegetable soy cream or soy yoghurt
– Miscellaneous : Combine suitable oils such as pumpkin seed oil , black cumin oil , linseed oil
Pumpkin seeds are the classic for soup and taste delicious !Ingredients tip from chef Thomas Sixt
6. Other suitable ideas
Comments, Cooking Questions and Answers
Below you can write to me directly.
Please don't forget the star rating on the recipe, 5 stars means you liked it!