OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Today I show you my recipe Obazda. The Bavarian cheese preparation Obatzter also appears in the spelling Obatzda or Obazda.
The “Angebatzter, Angedrückter, Vermischter” cheese has a long tradition in Bavaria. In Franconia the spicy cheese is called “Gerupfter” or “Angemachter”, in Switzerland “Gmanschter”.
A bit of history about the famous cheese: According to various sources, the landlady Katharina Eisenreich served the obazden for the first time in the Weihenstephaner Bräustüberl in Freising in the 1920s.
Many tourists know Obazda from the Oktoberfest. In the article I show the preparation of Bavarian Obazda according to my family recipe.
1. How to make Bavarian Obazda
In the following I show step by step the preparation of the Bavarian Obatzta:
2. Recipe Obazda or Obatzter, also called Obatzda
Following my family recipe from Bavaria with exact ingredients.
- 250 g Camembert
- 80 g Butter
- 1 pc shallot
- 2 tbsp curd cheese Quark in Bavaria and austria named topfen
- 1 tbsp Paprika paprika spice noble sweet
- 1 tsp caraway seed
- 80 ml dark beer I like to use Erdinger Weißbier
- some salt
- some pepper
- 1 bunch chives
- 1 bunch radish
- 2 pc pretzels
- 2 bottles Erdinger Weißbier Served ice-cold!
- Prepare Camembert and butter at room temperature about one hour before preparation.
- Crush the camembert finely in a bowl with a fork.
- Press the caraway seeds into the mortar so that the typical aroma can develop.
- Add the prepared caraway seeds, finely diced shallot, paprika, butter, curd cheese, salt and pepper to the finely pressed camembert, pour in the beer and mix the cheese mixture well by hand or with a mixer.
- Cut out the creamy cheese preparation with two tablespoons of dumplings and arrange on the plate. Decorate with finely chopped chives and add the quartered, lightly salted radishes. Decorate the edge of the plate with a little pepper.
- Serve prepared Obazda with pretzels and cold wheat beer and enjoy!
3. Further Information to the Cheese Preparation ObatzterObazda used to be made from cheese leftovers, you can add different kinds of cheese to your Obatzten and adjust the taste with paprika and caraway seeds. Beer is the most important ingredient for me. The Bavarian beer gives the Obatzten in combination with caraway, paprika and onion the original aroma.
4. Calories Obazda, Obatzta, ObatzdaBelow is an overview of the nutritional value:
OTHER LANGUAGES: German