OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Today I show you my duck recipe for the oven. The duck roast in the oven comes today in Bavarian variant on the table.
Beside red cabbage, pretzel dumplings and glazed carrots there are ideas for crispy duck and for sauce preparation.
Many step-by-step photos and videos accompany you as you cook.
Have fun reading and cooking yourself!
- 1. Oven roast duck
- 2. How to Prepare crispy Duck
- 3. Bavarian Duck Roast Recipe for the Oven
- 4. Calories (kcal) and Nutritional values Roast Duck with Pretzel Dumplings and Red Cabbage
- 5. Other Recipes with Duck
1. Oven roast duck
The goal is a crispy duck with tasty side dishes. You can be flexible here: Glazed carrots, glazed root vegetables, Brussels sprouts, red cabbage, cream savoy cabbage, these are typical well-known and popular side dishes.
The whole duck, weight approx. 2 kg, needs a temperature of 175°C hot air. The cooking time is 85 minutes.
Timing: When I get guests in the evening, I put the roast duck into the oven around 10 o’clock in the morning.
Around 12 o’clock I can release “The Bird”, chest and clubs I put then on a baking sheet with the skin upward.
Duck sauce: I cook the carcass and remains in a pot with the apple and onion filling and the gravy, veal stock and vegetable broth. There is also time to prepare the side dishes and set the table…
Here’s my overview of the ingredients, that’s handy when you’re standing in the supermarket:
- Get a whole duck fresh at best, otherwise thaw it overnight in cold water.
- For the filling apple and yellow onion, marjoram and optionally garlic.
- For the sauce veal stock and vegetable broth.
- Prepare your own red cabbage or pimp a pre-cooked red cabbage, follow my tips below.
- Prepare pretzel dumplings as a side dish. You will need pretzel sticks, eggs, milk, butter, onion and parsley.
- Prepare glazed carrots as a side dish.
This dish is a festive roast, the time frame for the preparation is 2-3 hours.
1.1 Prepare stuffed Roast Duck
I fill the duck’s belly with apple, onion and marjoram. Cut the apple and onion into small pieces and season with marjoram, salt and pepper. You can optionally add garlic.
The filling allows great aromas to develop during roasting. Roast juice and duck fat get a taste.
You can also put the duck unfilled in the oven, then put the apple and onion pieces on the baking tray, so you achieve a similar effect.
Since the preparation of the duck works like with the roast goose, I have inserted the video for you:
1.2 Duck with Pretzel Dumplings
The dumplings with pretzels are a special form of the napkin dumplings. Instead of sliced white bread you use freshly cut pretzel sticks. First remove the salt from the pretzel sticks.
- Brown the onion cubes in butter,
- Bring to the boil with milk, pour over the cut pretzel cubes and temper,
- Add eggs and mix,
- after 20 minutes refine with finely chopped parsley, salt, pepper and nutmeg,
- Wrap in buttered aluminium foil and cook for 45 minutes floating in boiling water.
As an alternative I show a variation with potato dumplings with the other duck recipe.
The video of the dumpling preparation follows here:
1.3 Duck and Red Cabbage
You’ll find a recipe for red cabbage on my site. At best, prepare the red cabbage the day before and then heat it up again.
Red cabbage always tastes better after the second heating.
Making red cabbage yourself is a lot of work. Perhaps you would like to use a prepared red cabbage that has already been cooked. Here are my tips to refine:
- Add some dry red wine or port wine.
- Add apple sauce and cranberries.
- Season with allspice, and let a cinnamon stick cook gently for 20 minutes…
I will show you how to prepare red cabbage in the following video:
1.4 Duck Sauce – How to prepare tasty Gravy
You will find a very informative article about duck sauce with a complete overview. Since we prepare our bird today as a whole, the bones which we use for the preparation of the sauce remain after the release.
For a great duck sauce you need the duck carcasses, apple and onion, veal stock and broth. Place the ingredients cold in a pot. You can add some ice cubes. Bring to the boil slowly and simmer for 2-4 hours.
The preparation I show you in the following videos as an example…
Tips for tying the sauce…
2. How to Prepare crispy Duck
How does the cook from the Chinese restaurant manage to bring the duck always so deliciously crispy on the plate?
The bought and already roasted duck pieces go into the deep fryer… that produces 100% crispy but the fine roast taste is reduced.
We are doing this classically today, have a look at the following tips:
- Pour the duck in the oven every 30 minutes with gravy.
- Carefully prick the duck’s skin with a thin fork.
- After pouring, season the skin with a little salt.
- Trigger the roasted duck and place the duck pieces on a baking tray, skin side up.
- Cook the duck pieces in the preheated grill until crispy shortly before serving.
The release of the duck roast + duck crispy prepare I show you in the video exemplarily…
2.1 Duck Tranch Video
2.2 Crispy Duck Video
3. Bavarian Duck Roast Recipe for the Oven
Following now the photo recipe with exact quantities. I wish you good luck!
OTHER LANGUAGES: German