OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Today I’ll show you my Cheese Spaetzle Recipe. Put a delicious Allgäu speciality on your plate and enjoy great cheese noodles with spicy cheese.
The recipe presented here is very fast and based on the idea to use either Spätzle from the day before or finished Spätzle.
You need about 15 minutes to prepare it, then your oven takes over.
The cheese noodles are a popular fasting dish, I like to use a strong mountain cheese or a mature Emmentaler for the gratinated noodles.
I wish you good luck and a good appetite!
1. Cheese Spaetzle – Cheese Noodles Shopping List
For the simple cheese spaetzle you need the following ingredients…
- Spätzle from the day before, homemade Spätzle or Spätzle ready bought
- Cheese – Ideal is a strong mountain cheese or/and a matured organic Emmentaler
- Roasted onions, I use roasted onions bought in this recipe
- salt, pepper, nutmeg, sugar and cayenne pepper
- Optional fresh onions
- butter and some oil
- parsley or other fresh herbs such as thyme, chervil, chives, lovage
The exact quantities can be found further down in the recipe cheese spaetzle- cheese noodles…
2. Cheese Noodles Chef Tips
Since I have also worked as a cook in the Allgäu for a short time, I would like to give you some tips for the cheese spaetzle.
2.1 Cheese noodles with homemade fried onions
Roasted onions do not necessarily come from the deep fryer but from the pan 🙂 … You can supplement the recipe with fresh onions roasted in the pan. Cut onions into strips and sweat in a pan with a little oil light brown. Finally add some sugar to the onions and brown, caramelise the onions lightly.
2.2 Making your own spaetzle for cheese spaetzle
I would like to add an original Spätzle dough recipe here. Maybe you want to make the Spätzle yourself…
Spätzle dough recipe for 2 persons
Ingredients Spaetzle dough:
250 g sieved flour
4 pinches salt
2 pinches of black pepper
2 pinches of nutmeg
80-100 ml lukewarm water
- Mix the ingredients for the spaetzle dough in a bowl in the order given.
- Beat the dough with a wooden spoon until it is thick and bubbles.
- I drive the dough through a grater directly through boiling salted water.
- Who it can scrapes the Spätzle from the board.
- If the Spätzle above swimming directly with the skimmer remove and in cold water quench.
- Mix the drained spaetzle with vegetable oil so that they don’t stick together.
3. My Cheese Spaetzle Recipe – German Cheese Noodles
Following my recipe with exact ingredients details. I wish you good success with your own cooking.
If you have any questions about the recipe, please use the comment function at the bottom of the page. I am happy!
OTHER LANGUAGES: German