Recipe Woodruff Punch – delicious May drink with the recipe simple woodruff punch shows you my suggestion for a seasonal drink with an ingredient directly from the forest in front of your front door.
The season for woodruff and woodruff punch is in Germany and Austria from April to the end of May.
During the last woodruff walk on a beautiful, sunny day at the end of April I could not resist and I started collecting woodruff.
The May punch is a typical spring punch from fresh woodruff. It is a delicacy that will surely taste good to your treasure or your guests.
This is how “homemade” goes – we welcome spring!
1. Preparation and Ingredients for the Woodruff Punch
The woodruff’s name is cleaver. Typical are the square smooth stems with several whorls on the elongated leaves. The woodruff prefers to grow in the humus soil of a deciduous forest. From about May onwards, the woodruff flowers with numerous white flowering stars.
I have seen woodruff not only growing wild but also already in sales. Maybe you will find what you are looking for at your vegetable dealer…
A short explanation of the use of woodruff/cleaver:
- Don’t take too much of the woodruff wild herb.
- Let the woodruff wither a little, then the characteristic smelling and tasting coumarin is released.
- Let the woodruff steep in the wine for a maximum of 1/2 hour.
- Do not put the stems into the wine, but turn the plant upside down.
- Woodruff is known as a medicinal plant – too much of the coumarin can cause headaches, but too much alcohol as well 😉
2. Recipe Woodruff Punch
Below I show you my recipe for the classic May punch with cleaver. Recipe for woodruff punch with and without alcohol. Let’s greet spring with a delicious drink…
- 30 stems fresh woodruff picked by yourself from the forest or purchased
- 1 l semi dry or dry white wine
- 1 l Prosecco or dry sparkling wine
- Roughly select and clean the woodruff, pat dry and leave to wilt for a few hours.
- Pour into a tall glass of dry white wine and dip the wilted woodruff upside down. The ends of the stems must not be in the wine.
- Let the woodruff infuse the wine for max. half an hour. For the storage a brown glass bottle is suitable or one uses the woodruff essence immediately completely in the punch.
- Fill the wine brew with the spirit of the woodruff into the glass bottle and put it in a cool place or use it immediately for the punch.
- Woodruff wine essence in a bowl or individual glasses. Fill with well chilled dry sparkling wine, prosecco or champagne.