Today I present my Waffle recipe for you. Traditionally I serve you hot cherries with cream or vanilla ice cream.
My best idea for good mood are Belgian waffles. The smell of waffles alone releases happiness hormones. Enjoyed fresh and warm, they are my little oasis of well-being.
I would like to show you step by step how you can quickly conjure up a cake substitute, breakfast supplement or even dessert with your waffle iron.
Have fun reading and baking!
1. Waffle – the most beautiful Variety explained
First thing that comes to mind are Grandma’s waffles. Fine sponge waffles baked in the shape of a heart and refined with icing sugar, that was also available in Bavaria.
Waffle cookies (Krumkake), they are liked in Northern Germany. They are crispy, thin New Year’s cakes with aniseed, rolled into conical bags. For all those who also love liquorice…
Stroopwafels, lekker! Be sure to try it when you are in Holland. There are great little shops in Amsterdam where the Stroop wafers are freshly baked. You can also get a fancy topping of your choice. Stroopwafels are ambiguous and filled with caramel – what more do you want 🙂
Belgian waffles, which are baked with or without yeast, are similar in taste and consistency to granny’s waffles.
I show you here the square Brussels waffles, these are soft waffles with the typical hollow ribs. Liège waffles are similar: just as thick with rather round, crispy edges.
2. Waffles and the Companions
How does waffle baking work best? My tips:
- Stir the dough and let it rest for a little while (1-2 hours).
- Flavour the wafer dough with vanilla, lemon peel, aniseed or cinnamon
- Grease the waffle iron sparingly with a baking brush or kitchen towel with butter or tasteless oil
- Preheat the waffle iron well
- Don’t be disappointed about the first waffle, which is usually less successful – it is for the baker 😉
- Cherry ragout: Sounds wild, has nothing to do with meat. We refine our hot cherries with cinnamon, wine, liqueur, citrus zest and vanilla
- Whipped cream: fresh whipped cream with vanilla sugar
- Vanilla ice cream: Who does not have an ice cream machine, buys the ice cream from the freezer in addition …or you can get it fresh from the Italian ice cream parlor.
- Icing sugar
3. Belgian Waffles Recipe
- 250 g flour or gluten-free flour
- 3 pc eggs
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1 packet vanilla sugar
- 250 ml milk possibly a little more milk with gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- som abrasion of lemon
- 1/2 tsp grounded cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 glas cherries morello cherries or sour cherries
- 1-2 tsp starch
- 3 tbs cherry brandy or brown rum
- 3 tbs port wine
- 60 g sugar or honey
- 1 pc vanilla, the pith of a pod or vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange peel abrasion or lemon juice from organic oranges or lemons
- 2-3 pinches cinnamon
- 2 tbs icing sugar powder sugar
- 4 balls vanilla ice
- 125 g cream freshly whipped
- Sift the flour and place in a bowl together with the baking powder. Whip the eggs, add softened butter, vanilla sugar, lemon grated, salt, some cinnamon and sugar and mix well.
- Add the milk little by little and mix.
- Check the consistency. A viscous flowing dough should be produced.
- Preheat the waffle iron and lightly grease it. Add a few tablespoons of dough and spread. Close the iron and bake the waffle at medium to high heat.
- Separate the sour cherries from the juice in the glass first. Let the juice simmer with the liqueur, port wine or rum and the spices for 15 minutes. Add the cherries again and heat them up. Add cornflour stirred with a little cold water. Do this little by little and pay attention to the consistency. If necessary, stir in more starch or add a little less.
- Arrange the freshly baked waffles with the hot cherries and vanilla ice cream. Dust with icing sugar through a sieve. Bon appetit!