Venison Roast Recipe with Cooking Video, quick Preparation and Searing Venison Roast like a Cooking Professional
from Thomas Sixt
Hi, I am a German Chef and Food Photographer. The imparting of cooking knowledge is my great passion. Everyone can cook for himself and with this website I would like to contribute to its success. Cooking questions I answer you gladly at the end of the articles. Have fun and good luck!
In this post I will show you my professional chef Venison Roast recipe. The venison roast is a popular stew dish and fits into the cold season.
You can prepare the roast well, therefore the recipe is suitable for the guest kitchen and for holidays and holidays such as Christmas.
In this article I will answer the most important questions about traditional preparation. If you have some time, please watch the video, you can watch me cooking deer roast directly over my shoulder. Good luck and a good appetite!
Table of Contents
1. Shopping List Venison Roast
My newly introduced shopping lists are very popular. Recently, a blog reader wrote to me and complimented me on the shopping lists.
“Your shopping lists are so practical, standing in the supermarket I find the ingredients faster! Isn’t that… wonderful?
Here is the shopping list for the roast venison:
- venison roast meat, for example shoulder
- a bottle of dry red wine, for example Rioja
- cranberries optional extra wild berry jam
- 1 bunch soup vegetables
- 1 potato
- 1 orange
- some gingerbread
- juniper berries, bay leaf, thyme
- vegetable stock cubes and chicken stock cubes or 2 glasses veal stock
- for the side dish bread dumpling souffle: dumpling bread, eggs, milk, parsley
The exact quantities can be found in the recipe for roast venison, further down in the article.
2. Marinate or prepare it immediately?
Since I show you in the video the fast preparation of the roast venison, we still make an excursion to the topic of pickle venison meat or insert venison meat.
2.1 Staining Roast Venison, with Recipe for Staining
You can put the venison 2-4 days in red wine and balsamic vinegar here the short summary…
- Take a large pot with a lid.
- Pour a bottle of red wine and 100 ml balsamic vinegar into the pot.
- Cut the soup vegetables consisting of celery, carrots, leek and parsley roots into small pieces and add to it.
- Spike a peeled onion with bay leaf and cloves and place in the stain.
- Add some peeled garlic cloves and thyme twigs.
- Add the pressed black peppercorns and juniper berries.
- Place the raw meat in the stain and marinate for 2-4 days.
The meat marinate fits simply well into the cold season. You can let the pickled meat mature in a cold place in the cellar or in the refrigerator.Deer meat marinated in marinade, which is also called stain. The aromas can develop.
2.2 Preparing pickled Roast Venison
- Remove the meat from the stain and dry.
- Brown the meat and take it out of the pot.
- Toast the drained vegetables over high heat with clarified butter until they are light brown.
- Add the tomato paste and roast until light brown.
- Deglaze with the marinade and bring to the boil.
- Add the roast venison and braise with lid.
You can bind the sauce later with a finely grated potato. Cranberries, orange juice and wild berry jam go well with the sauce! Please note the tips in the cooking video… fast
3. Side Dishes with Venison Roast
As a side dish with roast venison it is an excellent match:
- potato gratin
- potato dumplings
- bread dumplings
- napkin dumplings
- ribbon noodles
- mashed potatoes
- celery puree
- finger noodles
- red cabbage
- glazed carrots
- savoy cabbages
- Brussels sprouts
- pea vegetables
- glazed root vegetables
- Apple compote
- glazed apple pieces and pears poached in red wine
I serve the roast venison with a dumpling souffle. Please prepare a bread dumpling:
- 500 g bread roll
- 500 ml hot milk
- salt, pepper and nutmeg
- let the dumplings temper
- 5 eggs, add, mix and let rest for 30 minutes
Before filling, refine the dumpling mixture with freshly chopped parsley. Grease the moulds with butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Pour in the dumplings and steam in boiling water for 20 minutes in a steam sieve with lid.
4. Recipe Venison Roast
The following is the recipe for the fine roast venison with the exact quantities. Good success!
Recipe for Roast venison with dumpling souffle and braised carrots. Detailed instructions and many tips from professional chef Thomas Sixt.
|2||tbs||clarified butter (or oil)|
|0,7||l||dry red wine|
|300||ml||veal stock (or stock with a cube chicken broth & vegetable broth)|
|1||bunch||vegetable for soup (celery, carrot, leek)|
|1||pc||potato (for tying the sauce)|
|1||tbs||wild berry jam|
Unpack and dry the roast venison meat. Brown in a hot pot with some oil or clarified butter.
I fry the meat with lid and reduce the temperature of the stove plate immediately after inserting the meat.
Add the diced onion to the pot and brown until light brown.
Add the tomato paste and roast until light brown. Add the pressed juniper berries, peppercorns, cloves and bay leaf.
Deglaze with red wine, add the two stock cubes or veal stock from the glass.
Cut the soup vegetables into very small pieces except for the carrots. Cut the carrots into oblong sticks. Add the vegetables to the roast venison and braise with the lid for a good 1-1.5 hours at moderate heat.
In the meantime, prepare the dumpling mass as described in the article, fill into moulds and cook in a steam sieve over boiling water.
Remove the meat from the sauce and cut into slices. Check the cooking degree. Melt the meat on the tongue until it is as soft as butter.
Remove the carrots from the sauce and place in a bowl. Strain the sauce through a fine sieve and bring to the boil. Add the finely grated potatoes to the sauce and simmer for 3 minutes. The sauce binds and gets a nice consistency.
Season the final sauce with orange juice, pieces of gingerbread, salt, pepper and butter.
If necessary, add the slices of roast venison to the sauce again and continue cooking.
Arrange dumpling souffle and carrots on warm plates. Add the roast venison and the sauce. Serve the roast venison quickly, enjoy your meal!
5. Nutritional Values and Calories
6. More Ideas
Venison recipes can be found in an extra category.