Here I show you my recipe for turkey legs from the oven. This turkey roast is easy to make and tastes delicious. Step-by-step photos accompany you in the kitchen.
Feel free to leave me a cooking question at the bottom of the page using the comments function – kitchen gossip is welcome! I look forward to a nice exchange.
1. Shopping list for turkey legs in the oven
You can’t miss the whole turkey leg in the chilled section of the meat department. It looks like the large version of the chicken leg and is usually at the bottom of the refrigerated section at my four-letter supermarket.
The offer is seasonal, the whole thighs are not always available. Therefore, just grab it and enjoy the successful hunt!
I myself would like to see more products in organic quality. That’s where I see my future as a consumer and would easily spend up to 15 euros on a little gift from a happily and naturally raised animal.
But after these thoughts, let’s get to the shopping list: For your roast turkey from the thigh, I have thought of mashed potatoes as a side dish. You are free to prepare other vegetable side dishes.
List of ingredients:
- One piece of turkey leg
- A bunch of soup vegetables
- Thyme and or rosemary fresh
- Shallots and garlic
- Vegetable stock
- Olive oil
- Soy sauce, preferably tamari
- Salt, pepper, chilli
- Bay leaves
- Mashed potatoes
This list should make your shopping cart rally easier. See you in the kitchen in a minute!
2. Recipe turkey legs
Here are the instructions with step by step photos, have fun and success in the kitchen!
- 1 pc turkey legs
- 1 bunch soup vegetables I use carrot, celery, leek
- 5 twigs rosemary fresh
- 5 twigs thyme
- 4-6 pc shallots I use small
- 4 pc garlic cloves
- 700 ml vegetable broth
- 2 tbs soy sauce I use tamari
- salt I use ground salt
- pepper black, ground
- dried chilli pepper
- 4 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp starch
- 5-8 pc potatoes
- 80 g butter
- Preheat the oven to 230° C hot air. Prepare a deep baking tray and sprinkle with salt. Peel the vegetables, halve the shallots and garlic and place on the tray, chop the root vegetables and place half in a pot. Put the rest of the root vegetables on the baking tray. Wash the turkey legs with cold water, pat dry and place on the baking tray.
- Season the meat and vegetables with salt and pepper, add thyme and rosemary sprigs. Drizzle with olive oil and place in the oven. Set the alarm for 30 minutes.
- Sweat the rest of the vegetables in the pot with some butter and bay leaves for 7 minutes until translucent.
- Deglaze the vegetables in the pot with the vegetable stock, bring to the boil and leave to infuse.
- When the alarm clock rings, deglaze the browned vegetables in the oven with the prepared vegetable stock and finish cooking the thighs at 180°C for about 30-45 minutes.
- Peel the mashed potatoes with a peeler, cut into eighths and cook in a pot covered with salted water until soft. Drain off the potato water. Let the potatoes steam briefly and mash them with a potato masher. Season the mashed potatoes with a little butter, salt, pepper and nutmeg and set aside for serving later.
- Check the degree of cooking of the meat with a meat fork, if the piercing is easy and no pink meat juice comes out, the thighs are ready. In addition, check the temperature of the meat fork after piercing, it should feel hot. Alternatively, use a roast thermometer, the core temperature should be 72°C-80°C or higher.
- Pour the resulting sauce into a pot with the vegetables and bring to the boil. Keep the turkey legs warm in the oven.
- Mix cornflour in cold water and thicken the boiling sauce to taste. Season the sauce with salt, pepper, chilli and sugar. Strain the sauce through a fine sieve and mix with cold butter shortly before serving.
- Carve the turkey meat from the thigh and serve. Add the hot mashed potatoes and serve with the sauce.