In this post I show you my Salad Nicoise recipe. The well-known and popular French salad with tuna, beans, egg and onions is a classic summer salad and tastes great.
I remember a great summer evening at La Croisette in Cannes and a delicious Nicoise salad.
This is exactly how I have prepared this salad for you and I would be happy if you cook this recipe yourself. Step by step I show you every step with a picture and tell you my professional cooking tips for a perfect Salade Nicoise.
I wish you good luck and a good appetite!
1. Salad Nicoise Shopping List
You will need the following ingredients for the Nicoise salad:
- fresh, young green beans
- eggs boiled
- tuna in oil – buy tuna in a jar!
- Anchovies in oil
- leaf salads
- spring onions
- Dijon mustard
- white wine vinegar
- olive oil
Other popular salad Nicoise ingredients include cooked potato cubes, artichokes freshly cooked or out of the jar, fresh tuna instead of canned tuna.
The exact ingredient quantities for my salad can be found below in the recipe salad Nicoise.
2. Salade Nicoise Jamie Oliver and what other Chefs tell about this salad
I found a salad nicoise at Jamie Oliver’s. He supposedly conjures this dish in 15 minutes, which is an impossibility. I like the idea of using freshly fried tuna.
In general, our star chefs tend to use fresh tuna (Poletto), kidney beans (Poletto) don’t fit so well in this French classic, but the beans are a good substitute if you want to go faster.
Johann Lafer is still using canned tuna for the classic recipe.
What do I take with me from the chefs show? I stick to the classic preparation and pay attention to the details.
3. The best Tuna for Salad Nicoise
When I was shopping for tuna I noticed that you can buy very high quality white tuna in a glass in the supermarket. Canned tuna is cheaper, but the tuna in the jar can be removed better and the tuna fillet manages to jump out of the packaging as a whole :-).
4. Salad Dressing for the Salad Nicoise
I can remember very well the taste of the salad Nicoise in Cannes…
It was a simple vinegar/oil dressing, which is quite ok in hot summer and sea air. Since there are already enough recipes with simple vinegar/oil dressing, I took care of this detail next…
I used this for my salad dressing because the cucumber and tomatoes prepare and cut fruit flesh and fruit juice.
The result is a real pleasure on the tongue! The acidity of the tomato and the juice of the cucumber bring an exceptional freshness to the dressing.
5. Why I add bread cubes to my Salade Nicoise
For a very long time I thought about the bread cube Yes or No with this salad.
The French from Marseille to Paris traditionally serve fresh baguette with this salad.
I wanted a warm and crispy addition to this summer salad. Bread cubes are simply ideal for this….
6. Salad Nicoise Recipe
Following now the recipe for my Salade Nicoise. During the preparation you will find a photo for each step.
As a last tip I would like to recommend you quail eggs instead of chicken eggs as an addition to this salad. Especially when guests come, soft boiled quail eggs are a great thing and always go down well. The quail eggs cook I show elsewhere.
I wish you good luck and a good appetite!
- 150 g junge grüne Bohnen
- 1/2 TSP salt I use Himalayan salt!
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 4 pc tomatoes
- 4 pc eggs
- 1/2 pc cucumber I like to use small cucumbers!
- 200 g Tuna in oil I use tuna from the glass
- 50 g Sardines in oil
- 20 pc black olives without stone
- 1 - 2 pc small capers
- 120 g Mixed leaf salad e.g. lettuce, frisèe, radicchio,
- 1/2 pc clove of garlic
- 3 TBSP white wine vinegar
- 1 TSP Dijon-mustard
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 4 Pinches salt
- 3 Pinches black pepper
- 4 Pinches brown can sugar
- 3 Slices toast bread
- 40 g Butter
- 1/2 TSP thyme
- 4 pc parsley
- 4 pc spring onions
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and season with salt. Clean the beans and remove the ends of the beans.
- Blanch the cleaned beans in boiling water until al dente.
- Let the beans cool well in cold water so that they remain green.
- Lightly carve the tomatoes and prepare them for blanching.
- Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for 30-40 seconds, then remove from the water, cool under cold water and peel.
- Cut the peeled tomatoes into quarters and place the core in a mixing bowl. Cut the tomato pulp into strips or cubes.
- Peel the cucumbers, halve lengthwise, scrape out the seeds and juice with a spoon and add to the tomatoes in the mixing bowl.
- Cut the prepared cucumbers into pieces, season gently with salt and pepper.
- Add the seeds and juice of the cucumber with the tomato seeds and juice to the tomato parts in the mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining dressing ingredients to the mixing bowl: Garlic clove, white wine vinegar, mustard, olive oil, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Mix the salad with the Nicoise salad dressing.
- Cook the eggs for 12 minutes, quench, peel, halve, quarter and prepare.
- Open the tuna glass and carefully remove the tuna fillet. Prepare the tuna for serving. Also prepare the anchovies, olives and capers for later serving.
- Prepare the parsley, cut the toast into cubes and fry in a pan with butter and thyme until crispy. Season the crispy bread cubes with salt and pepper. Pluck the lettuce, wash, spin and prepare. Cut the spring onions into thin, slanted slices or rings.
- Marinate the beans, cucumber slices and lettuce in a bowl with the salad Nicoise dressing and serve.Serve the salad with quartered eggs and tuna. Decorate with anchovies, olives, tomato cubes, capers and spring onion. Finally decorate with parsley leaves and roasted bread cubes and serve.
7. Calories Salad Nicoise
8. Other recipes with tunaTuna steak with vegetables - Low Carb
Tuna salad with spinach and apple - Low Carb
Tuna Salad with Romana Salad, Tomatoes, Avocado and Egg
Tuna noodles with garlic, parsley and peperoncino
Spaghetti with tuna and asparagus
Pasta salad with tuna with vegan and vegetarian variation
Tuna Pasta with Basil and Tomatoes
Tuna spread with herbs and vegetables