My Potato Fritter Recipe I show you today in this post. The popular potato dish German Reibekuchen is known regionally under different names.
The Swiss prepares a Rösti, common names are potato pancakes or buffers.
The potato pancake tastes great as a simple fasting dish, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar and served with apple compote. Also in combination with herb quark or chive sauce.
In fine restaurants the Rösti, more or less thick or thinly prepared, is a popular side dish with smoked salmon or pickled salmon.
In this article I will show you how to prepare potato pancakes step by step with many photos. My original grandma buffer gets along without flour and egg, is gluten-free, digestible and healthy. Just try it now and enjoy.
1. Make your own potato pancakes from raw potatoes
The potato pancake ingredients are raw potatoes, salt, pepper and nutmeg. For frying you need a heat-resistant sunflower oil. The potato pancakes can be prepared in a few minutes, a little manual work is called for, it goes very quickly. Here the step by step kitchen story and pictures:
Which potatoes are best suited for Reibekuchen? Answer: Predominantly waxy potatoes are the best, potato pancakes are also successful with other potato varieties.
Wash and peel the potatoes, if you are preparing large quantities of potato pancakes please put the peeled potatoes in cold water so that they do not turn brown. Chef geniuses choose the big potatoes for potato pancakes – that means less work!
Next, roughly grate the potatoes with the kitchen grater.
Season the grated potatoes with salt, pepper and freshly grated nutmeg. Optional for the hearty buffer-version add some ground caraway, caraway is not suitable for the sweet buffer-version with cinnamon and sugar!
Heat a coated pan with some sunflower oil. The oil is hot enough when small bubbles appear on the handle of a wooden spoon as it is dipped into the oil.
Pour the prepared potato mixture into the pan, be careful, the fat splashes a little.
Put the potato mixture into shape in a frying pan. I’m preparing a large potato pancake here, which will be cut out later. Alternatively, you can also prepare small potato pancakes and adjust their thickness as desired. Optionally a metal ring helps to shape the pan. You can pre-portion the potato mixture with a small ladle to obtain evenly sized potato pancakes.
The potato pancake after turning in the pan. The raw potato mass requires a good amount of fat so that the buffer does not fry dry. Leave the potato pancake until a crust forms. Then carefully place the spatula under it and turn the potato pancake over.
2. potato pancakes and potato fritter variants
In the kitchen variety is in demand, therefore I show in the following table some potato pancakes and potato pancakes in the overview:
|Potato fritter with||ingredients|
|raw potatoes||raw, mainly waxy potatoes, salt, pepper, nutmeg, caraway to taste|
|raw and boiled potatoes||1/2 raw and 1/2 cooked, mainly waxy potatoes, salt, pepper, nutmeg, caraway to taste|
|with oat flakes||500 g raw, mainly waxy potatoes, 4 tbsp oat flakes, salt, pepper, nutmeg,|
|with chickpea flour||raw, mainly waxy potatoes, 2-4 tbsp chickpea flour, salt, pepper, nutmeg,|
Classic potato pancakes or potato pancakes taste sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon, served with apple compote, with herb quark or salmon quark as side dishes. In the recipe below I show a vegetarian variant with chive sauce and vegetables.
3. Reibekuchen Recipe yummi german potato fritter
The recipe comes from my first cookbook: “Der Minutenkoch – schmeckt. schneller” (The minute cook – tastes faster) – I have changed it slightly since then and adapted it a little. Please write comments and questions about the recipe using the comment function further down on the page…
- 1 cup sour cream - Use quark/potty for herb curd!
- 1 tbs. lemon juice - Freshly pressed is best!
- 4 pinches salt - I use Himalayan salt
- 2 pinches pepper - White or black, pepper as y like!
- 1 bunch chives - In feine Röllchen schneiden
- 400 g big potatoes - Predominantly firm ones are the best!
- 1 tsp. salt - I use Himalayan salt
- 5 pinches pepper - White or black, pepper as y like!
- 6 pinches nutmeg - Please rub fresh!
- 80 ml Sonnenblumenölsunflower oil - For frying
- 50 g arugula - Marinate with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar!
- 2 pices carrots - Or other root vegetables
- Mix all the ingredients for the chives sauce well in a bowl and prepare for serving. Cut the carrot into even sticks and place them ready to serve.
- Wash potatoes, peel, grate coarsely. Season grated potatoes in a bowl with salt, pepper, nutmeg and mix.
- Heat a coated pan, add oil to the pan, add the potato pancake mixture in whole (for a large pancake) or in portions (for a small pancake) to the pan and shape using the spatula. Alternatively, you can work with a metal ring and portion the potato mixture beforehand with a small ladle.
- Fry the potato pancakes while reducing the heat a little, add a little oil if necessary. It is better if you prepare the potato pancakes with a little more oil, then the buffers become more tasty and cook evenly. Especially thicker potato pancakes must be allowed to float in the fat so that they cook evenly!
- The potato pancakes now form a crust on the underside and can be turned easily. You can swivel the pan or carefully turn the potato pancakes with the pan turner.
- Cook the potato pancakes well, arrange the vegetables and chives sauce and add the potato pancakes. Serve quickly, good appetite!