Today I show you my recipe poached egg with ratatouille vegetables. You will find here a detailed step by step guide with many tips from the professional kitchen.
Poached eggs are known as lost eggs. The egg is cooked without shell in vinegar water just below the boiling point, in the technical terminology of the chefs this is called “poaching”. In the article I describe why blanched eggs are a nepp.
The combination of lost egg and ratatouille is wonderful, serve this dish for breakfast and brunch, this egg dish is a wonderful thing for Easter.
1. What’s a blanched Egg, please?
Blanched egg? This search term fascinated me. I know the term “blanching” and the term “poaching” in a different context.
“Poaching” means letting it simmer in liquid under the boiling point.
“Blanching” means cooking in boiling salt water and then cooling in ice water.
Yes, my dear friends, modern times bring all kinds of new concepts to people.
If you blanched an egg correctly, you would have an egg soup and could not put anything in the ice water. I have now rhymed a resolution together to the term blanched egg:
Blanched egg is a Google fake cooking term!
…blanched egg is searched in Germany 1.000 times per month, I hope that some people find my contribution and now know, that you can NOT blanch an egg.
2. Recipe poached Egg with Ratatouille Vegetables
You can easily cook this wonderful egg dish yourself. More recipes for lost eggs can be found at the bottom of this page.
Now we go to the kitchen, here the manual with many photos…
- 1 Stück kleine Zucchini
- 3 Stück bell peppers, red, green, yellow
- 1 Stück glove of garlic I like to use young garlic
- 1 TL tomato puree
- 2 Zweige thyme
- 1 TL olive oil
- 5 Prisen salt
- 5 Prisen black pepper
- 2 Prisen brown sugar
- 4 Stück eggs
- 2 EL white wine vinegar
- Wash and dry the vegetables for the ratatouille.
- Remove the seeds from the peppers and cut the vegetables into cubes. Peel a little garlic and put it in a bowl.
- Sauté the vegetable cubes of yellow, red and green peppers and courgettes in a pan with olive oil. Add garlic and thyme to taste.
- Season the vegetables with salt, pepper and sugar, add the tomato paste and mix. Keep the vegetables warm next to the stove.
- For the poached eggs, boil a pot with water, beat the eggs individually in cups, prepare a skimmer.
- Pull the boiling water from the stove and let the eggs glide individually into the water.
- Carefully shape the eggs in the water with the skimmer, you can also use a wooden spoon.
- Cook the lost eggs in vinegar water for a few minutes, then remove with a skimmer and place on a plate with kitchen paper.
- Arrange the prepared Ratatouille vegetables on warm plates. Add the poached egg and serve quickly.
3. Calories and nutritional values
In the following you will find calories and nutritional values for the presented dish.