Here I would like to introduce you to my Nuoc Mam recipe. An often-read spelling is also “Noc Mam” or “Nuc Mam”. In any case, it is a Vietnamese fish sauce that goes well with many dishes of Indochinese cuisine.
Asian cuisine inspires me. I love the fresh ingredients and especially the vegetable-based cuisine from Vietnam. Everything is light and digestible and the flavours are unbeatable.
The creations of the dishes are a feast and also a feast for the eyes. The fish sauce is indispensable in this cuisine and everyone prepares it in a slightly different refined way.
Let me surprise you with the sauce and dip I have put together for you here. My video shows you how it works. Have fun with your preparation and I wish you good luck!
1. Nuoc Mam ingredients and shopping list
The ingredients for a successful Asian sauce are easily available in the supermarket. So you don’t need to go to a special Asian market.
My list of necessary ingredients for your ingenious refined fish sauce shows you the necessary ingredients:
- Nouc Mam (fish sauce) – ready-made product
- brown sugar
- fresh garlic
- fresh chillies
- unsalted roasted peanuts – unroasted also works, then roast them yourself in the pan
- white wine vinegar – rice vinegar is also fine
Rice vinegar is a typical ingredient, but white wine vinegar is also delicious!Tip from cook Thomas Sixt
2. Where does nước mắm cham fit in?
This sauce is classically used with:
- spring rolls
- summer rolls (cold rolls made of rice paper)
- rice dishes with meat, poultry, eggs, seafood or vegetables
- rice noodles with meat, poultry, eggs, seafood or vegetables
Nuoc Mam sauce is our family’s favourite with homemade summer rolls. You can’t stop eating and dipping it 🙂
Different kinds of summer rolls topped with a delicious Nuoc Mam sauce will make you and your guests happy!Preparation tip from chef Thomas Sixt
3. Cooking video Nuoc Mam
4. Recipe Nuoc Mam
- 75 ml fish sauce Nuoc Mam
- 150 g brown sugar
- 200 ml water
- 2 pinches salt I use primal salt or Himalayan salt
- 2 pc garlic cloves
- 2 pc chillies red chili
- 1 pc carrot
- 100 g peanuts, roasted and unsalted
- 110 ml white wine vinegar
- The ingredients at a glance: Fish sauce, water, sugar, carrot, garlic, chilli, salt peanuts, vinegar.
- Get the right fish sauce from a shop.Boil the fish sauce with sugar and water in a pot. Add salt. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.Add the white wine vinegar after it has cooled down.
- Peel the fresh garlic and finely slice the cloves.
- Cut the chillies into fine rings.Add the garlic and chilli to the cooled sauce. Leave to stand for a good 1 hour.
- Peel the carrot and pull out fine strips.
- Coarsely crush unsalted and roasted peanuts in a mortar.
- Add carrot strips and peanut crumbs to the sauce before serving.Add to the main dish for dipping and enjoy!