OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Today I’ll show you my recipe for Meatloaf. Do you know “false hare”? The “wrong rabbit” is no rabbit at all. It is the name for a meat loaf with or without egg inside.
The following recipe comes from the kitchen of my dear mum and is a component of the traditional German kitchen.
It is suspected that the name “Falscher Hase” was given by the form of roasting in Germany. Likewise it is to be also because of the fact that the wrong hare was prepared in the same roaster, like the genuine hare bridge from the oven.
In Austria, however, this meat loaf with egg has a different name: Stefanie roast. The following instructions contain many step-by-step photos for the preparation of meat loafs.
I also show you a great variation of the meat loaf sauce and wish you good luck and a good appetite!
1. Meatloaf Shoppinglist
Meat loaf belongs to these wonderful, simple dishes and the list of ingredients is relatively short…
- Minced meat mixed or in the noble variant Minced meat from veal both best in BIO quality
- Bread rolls or buns from yeast dough
- Mustard: Dijon mustard or mustard medium hot
- Veal stock
- Red Wine
- Soup vegetables
- Salt and pepper
Preferably freshly prepared minced meat. Always process the minced meat within 24 hours.
2. Meatloaf Classic Recipe
The meat loaf is prepared in Europe and in Germany from Munich to Flensburg in different variants.
In the overview the recipes are however very similar and differ only in few ingredients…
- The Austrian meat loaf with egg is additionally filled with pickle and is called Stefaniebraten.
- In Austria one knows additionally the meat loaf in the Studelteig or Strudel-Meatloaf.
- My grandmother from Bavaria prepared the meat loaf gladly with Liebstöckl.
- From Stuttgart I know the meat loaf with bacon wrapped.
- In southern Germany the meat loaf is often additionally seasoned with paprika.
- Meat loaf with feta seems to be extremely popular, whereby feta cheese is filled in the meat loaf from boiled egg according to taste. Meatloaf with cheese filling: Emmentaler or Gouda, among other things, is suitable here as a filling in meatloaf.
- Professional chefs like to place the meatloaf in a pork net. This means that the meat loaf is coated with a layer of fat, is particularly gentle to the touch and dimensionally stable. Pre-order the pork net from the butcher and soak it in cold water for one night. Fill in the minced meat mass and close the net downwards.
- In general, the meat loaf recipes differ from north to south by different side dishes.
For special holidays I like to prepare a thin, long meat loaf of veal and fill the veal meat loaf with quail egg.
3. Meat Loaf Side Dishes
The following side dishes go well with the meat loaf…
- Glazed vegetables such as carrots and root vegetables
- Vegetables cooked in the sauce such as celery, carrots, parsley root, shallots,…
- Fried and glazed zucchini
- Red cabbage
- Potato puree
- Pelled potatoes
- roast pan potatoes
- potato gratin
- Jerusalem Artichoke puree
- Celery puree
4. Simple meat loaf and grandma’s meat loaf
The meat loaf is a traditional, simple, German dish.
I prepare the simple meat loaf sometimes also without egg filling.
This goes a bit faster!
Refine the minced meat mass additionally with herbs: try thyme, parsley, lovage, dill, marjoram or oregano.
You can use fresh and finely chopped herbs or dried herbs.
Note for the perfect granny meat loaf the oven temperature: 170°C-190°C is a good temperature range to prepare meat loaf.
Pay attention to the proportion of ingredients:
- A juicy meat loaf is made when you use 2 eggs and two rolls on 500 g of minced meat.
- Always squeeze out the bread rolls or buns soaked in milk well, the minced meat mass is then soft and becomes firm during cooking.
Avoid breadcrumbs, breadcrumbs make the meat loaf very firm.
5. Recipe Meatloaf
Below you will find a step by step recipe with many photos and tips for preparing the meatloaf sauce, which I recommend as a basis a purchased or homemade veal stock. Good luck!
- 3 pc eggs For hard cooking as filling
- 500 g minced meat mixed half beef, half pork
- 1 pc onions large or 2 small onions
- 1 pc clove of garlic
- 1 tsp sunflower oil For sautéing onion and garlic
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2 pc bread rolls Bread rolls diced
- 75-100 ml milk
- 2 pc eggs For the minced meat mass
- 1 tbs mustard I prefer to use Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 pinches pepper
- some sunflower oil to brush on the roaster!
- 500 g potatoes floury potatoes
- 600 ml vegetable broth
- 6 pinches salt
- 6 pinches pepper
- 6 pinches nutmeg
- 100-150 ml cream or milk
- 25 g Butter
- 1 pc soup vegetables
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbs tomato puree
- 300 ml veal stock
- 300 ml red wine
- 1 pc potatoes grate finely to thicken the sauce!
- 40 g Butter
- 5 pinches salt
- 5 pinches pepper
- 4 pinches sugar
- some majoram or parsley
- Place the ingredients for the meat loaf in the kitchen. Preheat the oven to 200°C hot air.
- Cook the eggs for the meat loaf filling for 12 minutes, cool in cold water and peel.
- Finely dice the peeled onions and garlic, finely chop the parsley.
- Cut the rolls into cubes and pour over the boiling milk.
- Sweat the onion and garlic cubes in a colourless pan for 3-4 minutes with a little sunflower oil and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Place the minced meat, parsley, salt, pepper and mustard in a bowl.
- Add the squeezed out bread cubes to the minced meat.
- Mix the minced meat mixture with your hands.
- Mix the meat mixture for meat loaf well and season again with salt and pepper.
- Place the hard-boiled eggs in the middle of the mixture, prepare an oiled roaster.
- Seal the meat loaf mass over the eggs.
- Form a long loaf with moistened hands and place the meat loaf in the oiled roaster. Smooth out the meat loaf again. Slide the meat loaf into the oven on the middle rail and cook for approx. 45 minutes at 170-190°C.
- Prepare the mashed potatoes, please use a floury cooking variety. Wash and peel the potatoes and place them in a pot, cut into slices. Cover with broth or salt water and cook until soft.
- Pour off the softly cooked potatoes, let steam off at the stove, crush quickly with a mixer, add milk, cream and butter and prepare a creamy mashed potato. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg and keep warm for serving. Tipp: Wenn Dir das Püree in der Farbe zu weiß erscheint, kannst du das Püree mit etwas Kurkuma gelb färben.
- Cut onions, carrots, celery and parsley root as well as mushrooms into small cubes and place in a pot/high pan.
- Roast the vegetables with a little sunflower oil, then add the tomato paste.
- Roast the tomato paste with the vegetables for 2-3 minutes, changing colour to brown-red. This process is important as the roasting substances for the taste and a brownish colour develop.
- Deglaze the roasted vegetables with red wine and veal stock and bring to the boil. Prepare butter and finely grated potatoes to bind the sauce. Bring the sauce to the boil.
- Add finely grated potatoes and cold butter to the sauce and mix well. Cook the sauce for 10-15 minutes.
- Pass the sauce through a fine sieve and bring to the boil. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Take the meat loaf out of the oven.
- Cut the meat loaf into slices with a moistened knife.
- Arrange the meat loaf slices on hot plates. Add the reheated mashed potatoes. Bring the meat loaf sauce to the boil, mix and nappe. Serve meat loaf filled with egg alias wrong hare quickly and enjoy. Enjoy your meal!
6. Calorie Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes
7. More Recipes with Minced MeatMeatloaf without stuffing, classic "false rabbit
Meatballs, Bavarian meatballs taste delicious!
Meatballs with muesli, exciting variation offers variety, with cooking video!
Koenigsberger Klopse - Meatballs in Caper Sauce photo recipe Also interesting: The Recipe Koettbullar shows you Swedish meatballs
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Classics of Good Cuisine Recipes
- German Food and Recipes from German Kitchen
- Main Courses Recipes
- Meat Recipes
- Minced Meat Recipes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German