Today I’ll show you my Liptauer recipe. I really like Liptauer. Homemade cheese tastes best.
I prefer to refine this spread with crispy herbs and short fried vegetables.
The Liptauer is a classic spread from Austria and resembles the Obazda from Bavaria. All these spreads, like the potato cheese, the vegan lard and the herb quark, go well with a good snack and bring variety for dinner.
The preparation takes about 25 minutes. I wish you every success and look forward to your comments.
1. Prepare Liptauer Spread yourself
Is it worth the effort? In Austria you can buy the Liptauer from different manufacturers in the supermarket. Nevertheless, the homemade Liptauer still tastes best!
Today I will show you an extraordinary Liptauer recipe with lots of vegetables. Here, fried herbs are added to the bread as topping. The result is really colorful and tastes great!
2. Shopping list
For homemade Liptauer you need:
- quark, in Austria means topfen… Ideal would be sheep quark and normal quark half/half
- salt and pepper
- sweet paprika
- Dijon mustard
- peppers red, yellow, green
- optional anchovies and capers
- oil for deep frying
Bread, fresh brown bread or farmer’s bread, grain bread, pumpernickel, baguette, toast, rye bread or home-baked bread according to your wishes.
You can find the exact ingredients below in the Liptauer recipe.
3. Heurigen Spread, “Gypsy Spread” particularly tasty
Add freshly roasted peppers to the Liptov spread. You can quickly prepare the vegetables, fry them in the pan and then serve with the cheese.
Before adding the pepper cubes to the pan, fry a few needles of rosemary. The fragrant and crispy rosemary is a fantastic addition to this preparation!
4. Recipe Liptauer
The following is the recipe for Liptauer bread spread. Wish you good luck and a lot of fun with the preparation!
- 250 g Quark you can also use sheep quark
- 2 pc shallots finely dice!
- 5 pinch salt I use Himalayan salt or Ursalz from Austria!
- 5 pinch pepper black pepper is the best
- 1 tbs Paprika noble sweet I double the amount depending on the season, more in winter!
- 1 tsp Dijon-mustard
- 4 pinch caraway grounded
- 2 pc rote Paprikaschoten
- 1 pc gelbe Papikaschote
- 2 twigs rosemary
- 3 tbsp sun flower oil for frying the herbs
- Place the quark on a fine sieve and drain well. Then put the quark in a bowl.
- Cut the shallots in half, peel, finely dice and add to the curd cheese.
- Season quark with salt, pepper, paprika, mustard and caraway, optionally add capers and anchovies.
- Fry the rosemary needles in a pan with a little oil and place them on a paper towel. Season the fried rosemary with salt and prepare for serving.
- Cut the peppers in half, remove seeds and cut into small cubes. Brown with a little sunflower oil at high heat, then remove from the pan.
- Drain the paprika cubes and add 3/4 of the paprika cubes to the Liptauer and mix.
- Season the Liptauer again before serving.
- Arrange the Liptauer, spread the bread slices, decorate with paprika cubes and rosemary needles and serve quickly.