Today I’ll show you my recipe Lamb Shank. The knuckle of lamb is a popular stew and is very easy to cook.
I prepare the lamb knuckle gladly as roast lamb, each guest gets then a knuckle on the plate and is happy.
This makes considerably less work in the kitchen, so this recipe is ideal for the guest kitchen.
We like to enjoy the lamb at Easter, but as a typical and classic stew it fits perfectly into the cold season and at Christmas.
Wish you good luck, share this article with your friends!
1. Prepare a Delicious Roast Lamb
The lamb knuckle is usually available frozen. For this lamb roast you need:
- One knuckle of lamb – Lamb shank per person fresh or frozen
- Soup vegetables carrots, celery, leek
- A strong red wine I recommend you a Rioja
- At best some port wine
- Veal stock freshly prepared or from the glass, alternatively a strong beef stock
- A good and matured balsamico to balance the acidity
- Tomato puree
- Garlic, bay leaf, thyme
- Some starch or a raw potato to tie the sauce.
NOW we already have a first overview, continue with the inserts.
When shopping, please pay attention to the origin of the lamb, a lamb from the organic farmer tastes usually better.
Milk lambs are very young slaughtered animals and therefore “lambs” are rare. Lambs that have grown up near the sea and have eaten slightly salty grass taste particularly delicious. No chef in the world can cause this salting in retrospect!
2. Lamb Roast Side Dishes
The roast lamb, the braised knuckle of lamb is excellent with the following side dishes:
- Rosemary potatoes, which you can prepare on a baking tray together with the lamb in the oven.
- Polenta, vegetable broth with garlic to the boil, mix up, let corn semolina shrink in and cook a delicious polenta!
- Potato gratin, thinly sliced Place potato slices in an oven dish, pour over garlic cream and cook with lamb.
- Mashed potatoes, quickly successful with fresh potatoes
- Celery puree, is an exciting LOW-Carb variation of mashed potatoes
- You can prepare baking oven vegetables directly with the lamb in the oven.
- Ratatouille is the classic lamb roast and tastes great.
- Bacon beans, you can use frozen or fresh beans
In the recipe below I show you my oven ratatouille and polenta as a side dish with braised lamb.
3. How do you prepare lamb shank? The most important at a glance
When preparing the lamb shank, pay attention to the following points:
- The knuckle lamb – lamb shank must be defrosted before you put it in the oven.
- It is best to stew the lamb knuckle in the oven with the lid on, then the meat will be butter-soft.
- The lamb sauce is made by stewing. High quality ingredients like wine, port wine, veal stock create a great sauce.
- Lamb please always arrange on very hot plates, only hot served lamb tastes good!
Preparing the lamb shank is very easy, the braised lamb cooks itself almost by itself. Next comes my recipe for your delicious roast lamb.
4. Recipe Lamb Shank
Let’s go now! Stewed lamb shank comes into your kitchen. You serve great side dishes: Ratatouille and polenta as well as a dreamlike lamb sauce. Good luck!
- 4 pc lamb shank
- 6 pc garlic
- 1 bunch soup vegetables
- salt I use Himalayan salt or Ursalz
- 2 EL clarified butter
- 2 EL tomato puree
- 100 ml Port wine
- 4 EL Balsamico
- 200 ml red wine I take Rioja from Spain
- 200 ml veal stock or beef broth
- 2 Stück bay leaf
- 1 TL thyme
- 1 Stück big potato
- 2 EL Butter To assemble and finish the sauce
- 1000 ml vegetable stock
- 1 Stück garlic
- 250 g Polenta Corn semolina coarse
- 4 Prisen salt
- 5 Prisen Pfeffer
- 4 Prisen Grated nutmeg
- 1 EL cold butter
- 4 Stück red pepper
- 10 Stück shallots
- 2 Stück courgette
- 1 Stück eggplant
- 10 Stück cocktail tomatoes
- 5 Prisen salt I use Himalayan salt or Ursalz
- 4 Prisen pepper For lamb dishes I prefer black pepper.
- 1/2 Bund fresh rosmary
- 2 EL olive oil
- 1/2 TL brown sugar
- PREPARATION: Clean the lamb shanks from the butcher and let them clean. Wash the knuckles and pat dry. Peel and prepare the garlic. Wash the soup vegetables consisting of carrots, celery, parsley roots and leek. Peel the root vegetables and finely dice them, cut the leek into leaves and prepare them extra. Preheat the oven to 220 °C hot air.
- PREPARATION: Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper and rub in. Brown the knuckles in a casserole on the stove with the clarified butter. Add the vegetables without leek and garlic and fry. When the vegetables have taken on colour, add the tomato paste and fry until light brown. Finally add the LAuch, otherwise it would burn.
- Deglaze with the port wine, balsamic vinegar, red wine and veal stock or beef stock, add herbs and place the casserole with lid in the preheated oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C after 15 minutes. The cooking time is 1.5-2 hours, depending on the size of the lamb knuckles. Set the alarm to one hour.
- For the Ratatouille oven vegetables, wash the vegetables, dry, prepare and place the vegetables cut into strips or slices on a baking tray with baking paper. Season vegetables with salt, pepper and olive oil, sprinkle tomatoes with a little sugar. Place rosemary on top. When the alarm clock rings, put the vegetables in the oven and set the alarm clock to 35 minutes.
- For the polenta, bring the vegetable stock to the boil with finely chopped garlic and leave to stand for 10 minutes. Then mix the broth with a hand blender, stir in the polenta, bring to the boil briefly, allow the hubs to stand on the stove.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and place on the stove. Check the lamb knuckles in the oven: When piercing, no red meat juice escapes, piercing with a meat fork is effortless and soft, then the lamb knuckle is ready! Keep the lamb knuckles warm in the oven. Bring the sauce to the boil, add the freshly grated potatoes and bring to the boil. The sauce binds and gets a nice consistency. Depending on your personal taste, pass the lamb sauce through a fine sieve and season with salt and pepper. Mix the sauce with some butter and assemble.
- Arrange the lamb knuckle on hot plates, I usually heat my plates in the microwave or put them in the oven for 30 minutes. When serving close all windows, draught lets plates and dish cool down quickly. Stir the polenta until smooth, season with a little butter, salt, pepper and nutmeg and serve. Place the vegetables on the plate. NOW you can finish your lamb knuckles with the lamb sauce and serve quickly. Good luck!