Lamb Shank Recipe, Stew Lamb Knuckle And Serve As Roast Lamb!
Thomas Sixt is a chef, food photographer and cookbook author.
Here he shares recipes, answers cooking questions and helps with cooking.
Today I’ll show you my Lamb Shank Recipe.
The knuckle of lamb is a popular stew and is very easy to cook.
I prepare the lamb knuckle gladly as roast lamb, each guest gets then a knuckle on the plate and is happy.
This makes considerably less work in the kitchen, so this recipe is ideal for the guest kitchen.
We like to enjoy the lamb at Easter, but as a typical and classic stew it fits perfectly into the cold season and at Christmas.
Wish you good luck, share this article with your friends!
Table of Contents
1. Recipe Lamb Shank
Let’s go now! Stewed lamb shank comes into your kitchen.
You serve great side dishes: Ratatouille and polenta as well as a dreamlike lamb sauce. Good luck!
Braised Lamb Shank
Cooked, photographed and written down by chef Thomas Sixt.
Simple guide to prepare shanks of lamb as roast lamb.
Braised Lamb Shank and Roast Lamb Sauce
|Salt (I use Himalayan salt or Ursalz)|
|200||ml||red wine (I take Rioja from Spain)|
|200||ml||veal stock (or beef broth)|
|2||EL||butter (To assemble and finish the sauce)|
|250||g||polenta (Corn semolina coarse)|
Ratatouille Oven vegetables
|5||Prisen||Salt (I use Himalayan salt or Ursalz)|
|4||Prisen||Pepper (For lamb dishes I prefer black pepper.)|
Prepare lamb shank
Have the butcher clean the lamb shanks.
Wash the shank and pat dry.
Wash the soup vegetables consisting of carrots, celery, parsley roots and leeks.
Peel and finely dice the root vegetables, cut the leeks into leaves and set aside.
Preheat the oven at 220 °C hot air.
Prepare lamb shank
Season the lamb shanks with salt, pepper and rub.
Brown the shanks in a casserole on the stove with the clarified butter.
Add the vegetables without the leeks and the garlic and fry them.
When the vegetables have taken on color, add the tomato paste and fry until light brown.
Finally add the leek, otherwise it would burn.
Deglaze with the port, balsamic vinegar, red wine and veal stock or beef broth, add herbs and place the casserole with lid in the preheated oven.
Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C after 15 minutes.
Cooking time is 1.5-2 hours, depending on the size of the lamb shanks. Set the alarm clock for one hour.
To make the ratatouille oven vegetables, wash the vegetables, dry them and prepare them.
Cut the vegetables into strips or slices and place them on a baking tray with baking paper.
Season vegetables with salt, pepper and olive oil, sprinkle tomatoes with a little sugar.
Put rosemary on top. When the alarm clock rings put the vegetables in the oven and set the alarm for 35 minutes.
For the polenta, boil the vegetable broth with finely chopped garlic and leave to infuse for 10 minutes.
Then blend the broth with a hand blender, stir in the polenta, bring to the boil briefly, leave to infuse next to the stove.
Remove the casserole back from the oven and place on the stove.
Check the degree of cooking of the lamb shanks: No red meat juice comes out when piercing, piercing with a meat fork is effortless and soft, then the lamb shanks are ready!
Keep the lamb shanks warm in the oven.
Bring the sauce to the boil, add freshly grated potatoes and bring to the boil.
The sauce now binds and gets a nice consistency.
Depending on your personal taste, strain the lamb sauce through a fine sieve and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Mix the sauce with a little butter and assemble.
Arrange the lamb shank on hot plates, I usually heat my plates in the microwave or put the plates in the oven for 30 minutes.
Close all windows when serving, drafts cool the plates and dish quickly.
Stir the polenta until smooth, season with a little butter, salt, pepper and nutmeg and serve.
Place the vegetables on the plate.
NOW you can finish your lamb shanks as lamb roast with the lamb sauce and serve quickly.
I wish you a good appetite!
2. Nutritional Values
3. Prepare a Delicious Roast Lamb
The lamb knuckle is usually available frozen. For this lamb roast you need:
- One knuckle of lamb – Lamb shank per person fresh or frozen
- Soup vegetables carrots, celery, leek
- A strong red wine I recommend you a Rioja
- At best some port wine
- Veal stock freshly prepared or from the glass, alternatively a strong beef stock
- A good and matured balsamico to balance the acidity
- Tomato puree
- Garlic, bay leaf, thyme
- Some starch or a raw potato to tie the sauce.
NOW we already have a first overview, continue with the inserts.
When shopping, please pay attention to the origin of the lamb, a lamb from the organic farmer tastes usually better.
Milk lambs are very young slaughtered animals and therefore “lambs” are rare.
Lambs that have grown up near the sea and have eaten slightly salty grass taste particularly delicious.
No chef in the world can cause this salting in retrospect!
4. Lamb Roast Side Dishes
The roast lamb, the braised knuckle of lamb is excellent with the following side dishes:
- Rosemary potatoes, which you can prepare on a baking tray together with the lamb in the oven.
- Polenta, vegetable broth with garlic to the boil, mix up, let corn semolina shrink in and cook a delicious polenta!
- Potato gratin, thinly sliced Place potato slices in an oven dish, pour over garlic cream and cook with lamb.
- Mashed potatoes, quickly successful with fresh potatoes
- Celery puree, is an exciting LOW-Carb variation of mashed potatoes
- You can prepare baking oven vegetables directly with the lamb in the oven.
- Ratatouille is the classic lamb roast and tastes great.
- Bacon beans, you can use frozen or fresh beans
In the recipe below I show you my oven ratatouille and polenta as a side dish with braised lamb.
5. How Do You Prepare Lamb Shank? The Most Important At A Glance
When preparing the lamb shank, pay attention to the following points:
- The knuckle lamb – lamb shank must be defrosted before you put it in the oven.
- It is best to stew the lamb knuckle in the oven with the lid on, then the meat will be butter-soft.
- The lamb sauce is made by stewing. High quality ingredients like wine, port wine, veal stock create a great sauce.
- Lamb please always arrange on very hot plates, only hot served lamb tastes good!
Preparing the lamb shank is very easy, the braised lamb cooks itself almost by itself.
Next comes my recipe for your delicious roast lamb.
6. More Lamb Recipes Ideas
Comments, Cooking Questions and Answers
Below you can write to me directly.
Please don't forget the star rating on the recipe, 5 stars means you liked it!