Heringsschmaus Recipe for Ash Wednesday, exciting Herring Salad for the Start of the Fasting Season
from Thomas Sixt
Hi, I am a German Chef and Food Photographer. The imparting of cooking knowledge is my great passion. Everyone can cook for himself and with this website I would like to contribute to its success. Cooking questions I answer you gladly at the end of the articles. Have fun and good luck!
Table of Contents
1. Make your own Herring Salad, Herring is healthy!Nutrition experts agree that herring has a detoxifying and intestinal cleansing effect. The meat of the sea animals contains valuable omega-3 fatty acids as well as vitamins A, D and B12, among others. Thus the herring salad is an optimal meal for the start of Lent! You can prepare your herring feast yourself in many ways. In addition to the recipes presented here, there is also the creamy version of herring with sour cream, créme fraîche or soy cream. Watch two videos about the recipe matjes salad. A little commodity knowledge to the herring: If you stand in the supermarket you will discover pickled herring and Matjesfilet. Explanation: The matjes is the young herring and not yet spawnable. So it is a very young fish, so the matjes is finer and softer in appearance. First choice for me!
Matjes is the better herring, use matjes fillet for your herring meal!An important preparation tip for you: Remove the herring or matjes from the package and place the fish in cold water for 15 minutes. Watering the fish loses its salty pungency and makes it milder and more pleasant in taste.
2. Herring Salad Recipe with AppleThe apple is a logical companion to herring and matjes. The sweetness of the apple catches the sour taste and balances the dish. I also add mint, which gets your digestion going and gets everything flowing. The mint has a refreshing effect and takes the heaviness away from you. I like to cut the apple pieces finely with a peeler, so the apple later in the herring feast combines wonderfully with the rest of the ingredients. I am picky about the apple itself and prefer local varieties.
3. Herring Salad with BeetrootBeetroot or beetroot are the second main ingredient in my herring feast. The beetroot is enormously healthy and I only use it freshly cooked in the herring salad. I choose the smallest possible turnips, boil them in salted water for about an hour, then pour the turnips off and peel them with my hands under running, cold water. As an addition to the herring salad, I cut the cooked turnips as thinly and finely as possible so that the fine turnips harmonise well with the remaining ingredients. The fine, thin cutting of the ingredients generally has several advantages:
- The salad has a smooth overall appearance and is pleasant to eat.
- The ingredients combine perfectly and taste balanced in the salad.
- The salad can be arranged better and with volume, use possibly a dressing ring.
4. Side Dishes and Supplements to Salad with HerringI like to have it colourful and splendid on my plate, so I combine apple, beetroot, mint and matjes with spring onions and some fresh horseradish to a salad with herring. The herring feast can be served with boiled potatoes, fried potatoes and Rösti.
5. Recipe Herring Feast for Ash Wednesday and LentI combine it with herring linseed oil and olive oil as well as lemon juice to my salad. Linseed oil contains high-quality Omega 3 fatty acids and supports digestion. Olive oil promotes the fine taste. The lemon juice brings freshness to the palate.
Heringsschmaus recipe for Ash Wednesday, exciting herring salad for the start of Lent with apple, beetroot, mint horseradish and spring goat.
|2||pc||beetroot (boil fresh beetroot!)|
|2||tbs||lemon juice (or a little white wine vinegar)|
|1-2||pinch||brown cane sugar|
|2||pc||Apple (with peel, quartered without core finely cut)|
|1||tbs||mint (cut finely into strips)|
|1||tsp||horseradish (freshly torn)|
|4||pc||spring onions (cut into fine sticks or rings)|
Cook the beetroot in plenty of salted water until soft. I always cook a whole pot full of beetroot and put the rest of the beetroot, which I don’t use for the herring feast, in some olive oil.
Prepare the side dishes for the herring feast: Prepare boiled potatoes, Rösti or fried potatoes or bread or rolls.
Peel the softly cooked beetroot under running water and allow to cool, then cut finely and place two pieces in a large bowl. Marinate beetroot with lemon juice, salt, sugar, pepper, linseed oil and olive oil.
Remove the matjes fillet or herring from the packaging, wash under cold running water and soak in cold water for 15 minutes.
Prepare apples, halve to taste with or without peel, cut out core and cut into thin slices. I do not peel my apples for the herring salad because the peel adds valuable fibre and vitamins to the salad. Add the apple slices to the prepared beetroot and mix.
Cut the mint finely into strips, drain the matjes and cut into bite-sized pieces, mix both ingredients with the apple and beetroot and marinate for 10 minutes.
Prepare spring onions and horseradish. Arrange herring feast on plates, decorate with onions and horseradish, add side dishes and serve quickly and enjoy. Enjoy your meal!
6. Calories Herring Feast, the Nutritional Values at a Glance
The nutritional values refer only to the herring salad without side dishes.