Here I show you my halibut recipe. I would like to reveal the secret for a tender and juicy fish in the pan.
I like to go to the North Sea coast and eat fish in restaurants. Every time I go, I notice how well the fish is fried: it’s neither dry nor glassy and in perfect shape. If you eat fish as often as I do, you know what I mean.
And I can already see in the restaurant what is on the plate and what must have happened during preparation. But, as a clever chef, I ask again on the spot at the water’s edge.
I would like to share the results of my investigation with you in this article. Follow me in the kitchen and be my apprentice chef and later the cook in the galley yourself. 😉
I show you the preparation step by step and have added a cooking video. I wish you good luck and bon appétit!
1. Roast halibut perfectly in an egg coating, my top tips…
How to make your fish tender, juicy and perfect:
- Buy the freshest fish you can. Frozen fish tends to be fibrous and dry.
- Make sure you cut the fish into equal-sized pieces.
- Make sure your fish pieces are the ideal size for turning in the pan.
- Thicker pieces of fish should be placed in the pan first.
- Coat your fish with a thin layer of flour and beaten egg.
- Fry the fish in the pan in oil or clarified butter.
- Do not fry the fish too long or it will quickly become dry.
The egg shell is gentle on the fish. Plaice, lemon sole and halibut cook gently in this way.Tip for preparing fish in an egg coat from chef Thomas Sixt
2. Halibut recipe
Below you will find the exact ingredients and step by step instructions with lots of photos.
You can send me cooking questions via the comment function. I am looking forward to it!
- 300 g halibut I buy my fish fresh at the counter
- 1 pc egg
- 2-3 tbs flour I use gluten-free flour
- 3 tbs sunflower oil
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 pinches pepper black ground
- 30 g butter I like to use ghee
- 1 tbs capers I use capers from the jar
- 1 pc lemon I use an organic lemon
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- I made Brussels sprouts with almond butter to go with this fish dish. This is a low carb dish. You can also add potatoes or mashed potatoes, depending on your taste. The recipe for the Brussels sprouts tells you how to prepare them quickly!
- Rinse the halibut under clear water and pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- Divide the halibut into ready-to-fry pieces and place on a plate.
- Place the flour on a plate. Beat the eggs, season with salt and pepper, optionally some thyme, and whisk. Season the halibut with salt and pepper, immediately coat all sides in flour and press down lightly. Heat the pan and pour in the oil. Pull the fish pieces through the egg, making sure they are evenly coated. Carefully place the fish fillets with the egg in the pan and fry until golden brown on all sides.
- Place the fish fillets on a plate, pour off the oil and leave the pan to cool. Peel the lemon with a knife and cut out the fillets. This works in the same way as filleting oranges. Cream the butter in the pan, add the lemon juice, lemon fillets and capers. Season the butter to taste with salt, pepper, sugar and cayenne pepper. Arrange the garnish and fish, add the lemons and capers to the fish with the butter and serve. Enjoy your meal!
- Melt butter and brown.
- You can also use orange fillets!
3. Calories and nutritional values
4. Which side dishes go well with fish
My vegetable and salad suggestions for your successful fish: