We know the crispy, Fried Onions as a classic addition to fried liver. The delicious decoration gives the mashed potatoes a super taste kick. We chefs like to serve them with burgers and other meat dishes. On vegetarian dishes the crispy fellows conjure up a hearty finish.
What do you want to serve the crispy onions for? I would be happy if you leave us a comment at the bottom of the page. I will be very happy to answer your cooking questions. Maybe you also find it exciting to discover new ideas and let all chefs participate here 🙂
Let us now ask ourselves how the onions succeed perfectly in the preparation process. I have put together a lot of photos and instructions for you to answer this question. For now, I wish you a lot of fun while reading and good luck later on!
1. Ingredients and impressions
There was a landlord in our village, in my Bavarian homeland. Ingrid, the innkeeper’s wife, cooked the meals in the kitchen. Ingrid was a wonderful cook. The food was simple, traditional and always well seasoned. There was no fuss on the plate – it was simply excellent home cooking.
I still remember her Viennese schnitzel and the stuffed breast of veal from her kitchen. The crowning glory was always the steaks that the “Berg” – that was the name of the innkeeper – kept in the cold store and carefully brought to the kitchen according to their degree of ripeness. They were the perfect team.
By the way, this was a time in my youth when vegetarian cooking did not play any role at all. No one had given it any thought then, and there were no people with food intolerances or other “culinary” problems. Sometimes I feel a real longing for that time. There were no hostility at the table, the good food was served and we could enjoy. It was uncomplicated and beautiful.
The steaks from the Ingrid were at least as good as everything I later tried in the starred kitchens of this world. The Ingrid made her roasted onions fresh every day. There we have the first secret:
Fresh and crispy fried onions taste best. You can also keep the onions warm.Preparation tip from chef Thomas Sixt
To prepare the fried onions you need
- Frying fat: —————-> Use a for .
- Onions: —————–> are ideal for !
- Flour and paprika: ——> or as well as
- Salt: ————————> Use which contains 80+ minerals and is healthy.
The onion rings are coated with flour and paprika to give them an initially dusty and later crispy coating. Let’s have a look at some photos to get to the preparation very quickly.
The optimum temperature for frying the fried onions is approx. 170°CTip from chef Thomas Sixt
2. What do the fried onions go with
I will leave some ideas for the use in your kitchen orchestra 🙂
- Potato puree: Best sprinkled on top as decoration and flavour component
- Cheese spaetzle: Fold in the onions and sprinkle over the cheese.
- Potato cheese: Fold in as decoration and for the taste.
- Vegan lard: Brings the hearty touch with marjoram.
- Potato goulasch: Fry the parsley as well, the combination with onions is delicious.
- Fried dumplings: The onions give variety and a great mouth feel.
- Veal liver: Gladly sprinkle with the sauce or pimp the side dishes!
3. Recipe fried onions
- 4-6 pc onions I use medium yellow onions
- 2-3 tbs flour I use gluten-free flour
- 1 tbs sweet pepper
- 1,5 L sun flower oil
- 1 tsp salt I use primal salt
- Peel the onions and cut them into 2 mm thick rings with a chef's knife or plane.
- Prepare the onion slices in a bowl and pick them into individual rings with your hands.
- Add sifted flour and paprika to the onion rings.
- Mix the onion rings with flour and paprika.
- Heat the oil to 175°C and put the onion rings coated with flour into the deep-frying basket and shake them out. Then deep-fry in the hot oil.
- Drain the crispy light brown fried onions in a frying basket.
- Season the crispy onions with salt and serve to taste or use as an ingredient or for decoration as in the contribution.