Easy simple Crème Brûlée Recipe with wild Sea-Buckthorn Candies and Lemon Balm
Thomas Sixt is a chef, food photographer and cookbook author.
Here he shares recipes, answers cooking questions and helps with cooking.
Table of Contents
- 1. Make crème brûlée yourself
- 2. Which moulds are ideal for crème brûlée?
- 3. Crème brûlée with cream or milk?
- 4. Difference between crème brûlée and panna cotta and crema catalana
- 5. Original crème brûlée
- 6. Cooking video Crème brûlée by Thomas Sixt
- 7. Easy simple Crème brûlée recipe
- 8. Nutritional values crème brûlée
1. Make crème brûlée yourselfThe crème brûlée usually consists of milk, cream, vanilla pod, sugar and egg yolk. A good guideline value for the quantity ratios is one piece of egg yolk per 100 g of liquid. Measured on the liquid 10-15 % sugar for the cream. In addition to a pot, bowl and whisk, fireproof moulds and an oven are required. Professionals use a Bunsen burner to caramelise the sugar.
2. Which moulds are ideal for crème brûlée?In order for the crème brûlée to be really successful, the right moulds are important. The moulds must be small and fireproof so that the cream can evenly fade during preparation in the oven. What does small mean? Moulds with a diameter of 10-12 cm and a maximum height of 4 cm are possible, as are flatter moulds that have a larger diameter and are wider.
3. Crème brûlée with cream or milk?A half/half cream/milk ratio has proved its worth, but the crème brûlée can also be prepared completely with cream. The result is a very compact and creamy crème brûlée that melts on the tongue.
4. Difference between crème brûlée and panna cotta and crema catalanaThese well-known cream desserts have a certain similarity and are prepared a little differently from region to region.
4.1 Crema catalanaWith the Crema catalana the caramel mirror is sometimes soft (but should be firm!) and traditional recipes are prepared only with milk, egg yolk, in addition with whole egg, starch, lemon peel and cinnamon. The vanilla pod does not appear in the traditional recipe! The crema catalana is more like a caramelized pudding and is softer and not as compact as the crème brûlée or panna cotta.
4.2 Crema catalana recipeBring 0.5 l milk, a little cinnamon, 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel to the boil and let it steep for 15 minutes, mix 2 egg yolks and 1 egg with 80 g sugar, add 2 teaspoons cornflour and mix, stir the warm milk through a fine sieve into the sugar egg mixture, carefully heat and stir all the mixture at the stove, do not boil, the mixture becomes creamy. Quickly fill into moulds and chill, sprinkle with sugar before serving and caramelise in the oven/grill or with a Bunsen burner. The caramel becomes soft if it remains too long or is stored in the refrigerator.
4.3 Panna cotta recipeWith the Panna cotta I like to remember my time with star chef Heinz Winkler. I want to show his recipe, it’s really the best recipe for panna cotta. 250 g cream is heated with 250 g milk and 2 sliced and scraped vanilla beans and allowed to stand on the stove for 30 minutes so that the taste of the vanilla bean can unfold. Mix a whole egg and 2 egg yolks well with 70 g sugar and then stir in the milk cream. Allow to mature for another 30 minutes, then pass through a fine sieve and fill into moulds. The moulds should be filled to a maximum height of 3 cm. Place the filled panna cottain in a water bath (fill a deep baking tray with water). Bake in the oven at 120°C top/bottom heat for 30 minutes until poached and solid. Then chill the panna cotta for 2 hours and caramelise under the grill just before serving, sprinkled with sugar.
5. Original crème brûléeA fine crème brûlée original recipe must not be missing at this one. Preparing crème brûlée yourself works as follows.
5.1 Crème brûlée original recipePlace a pot on the stove, add 300 g cream and 200 g milk, two scraped vanilla beans (pulp and beans), 1 tablespoon brown sugar and a pinch of salt. Heat the milk to 80°C, do not boil, allow to mature for about 20 minutes. Prepare the moulds for the crème brûlée and preheat the oven to 120°C. Fill a deep baking tray halfway with warm water and place the bottom tray in the oven. In a bowl, mix a tablespoon of brown sugar and a packet of vanilla sugar with 5 egg yolks, pour the milk slowly into the bowl, then faster and stir. Let the mixture mature for 10 minutes, then pass through a fine sieve and fill into the moulds provided. Place the crème brûlée in the moulds in the water bath in the oven and poach for about 30 minutes. Then quickly chill the moulds. Before serving, sprinkle each crème brûlée with brown sugar and caramelise quickly with the Bunsen burner.
6. Cooking video Crème brûlée by Thomas Sixt
7. Easy simple Crème brûlée recipeI am known for my various kitchens and recipe experiments. I have therefore developed a particularly simple variant of the crème brûlée which goes very quickly.
My easy crème brûlée is without egg and without poachingI hope you understand my idea, everything that goes faster is good, because it motivates people to cook it themselves. Therefore my Crème brûlée gets by without egg and without poaching and additionally gets a taste kick with cough sweets. I’ll show you how it works in the cooking video:
Easy simple Crème brûlée with wild sea-buckthorn candies and lemon balm
Simple crème brûlée recipe by Thomas Sixt.
|1||package||Garden fruit sweets|
|100||g||blueberries (fresh or frozen)|
|1||package||wild sea-buckthorn candies|
Freeze the sea buckthorn master candies for about an hour. Later, grind to powder in a mortar and make available.
Prepare suitable moulds for the crème brûlée. See the description in the article for the suitable moulds.
Crush the garden fruit Meisterbonbons in a mortar. Then dissolve in hot water in the pot and add the blueberries. Let simmer at reduced heat for 10 minutes.
Heat the vanilla pudding with QimiQ in a frying pan and mix to a smooth cream. Let the mixture cool while stirring.
Mix the prepared crushed sea buckthorn powder with the almost cooled crème brûlée mixture and fill into the moulds, refrigerate.
Place the quick crème brûlée in the freezer 5-10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle each crème brûlée with brown sugar and caramelise with the burner.
Place the moulds on a plate with a napkin and serve with the blueberries prepared and decorated with mint.
It is a fast variant of the crème brûlée which, of course, does not stand up to professional scrutiny. The recipe + cooking video was created as part of a recipe development for the Kaiser company. This post is not sponsored.
8. Nutritional values crème brûlée
Comments, Cooking Questions and Answers
Below you can write to me directly.
Please don't forget the star rating on the recipe, 5 stars means you liked it!