Prepare Chicken Legs in the Oven and serve with Salad as Low Carb Dish
from Thomas Sixt
Hi, I am a German Chef and Food Photographer. The imparting of cooking knowledge is my great passion. Everyone can cook for himself and with this website I would like to contribute to its success. Cooking questions I answer you gladly at the end of the articles. Have fun and good luck!
Table of Contents
1. Your Shopping List and advance InfosThe most important points I will introduce to you first. You need the following ingredients and tools: Ingredients:
- Chicken legs or chicken thighs
- Salt, pepper, garlic, curry, some sugar or stevia
- Olive oil
- Coloured leaf salads
- Cucumber, zucchini and mushrooms
- Peanuts, cashews or almonds
- Baking tray
- Baking paper
- Cutting board
- Pastry brush
- Chef’s knife
- Salad bowl
- Salad servers
2. Prepare Chicken Legs from the TrayFirst of all some important ideas for the successful preparation of poultry:
- Always check poultry with skin and remove any remaining quills. Use tweezers for this.
- Always prepare poultry promptly, as poultry spoils quickly. Important: Do not interrupt the cold chain too long when shopping and refrigerate poultry quickly.
- Cook the poultry meat well, the core temperature should reach more than 72°C for at least 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven, I recommend hot air oven and a temperature of 200°C.
- Put the baking paper on the baking tray, this way you save yourself the scrubbing of the baking tray later.
- Wash the chicken legs and pat them dry. Place the legs with the skin side facing upwards on the baking paper.
Please do not chop or press the peeled garlic! Pressed garlic becomes bitter and does not taste good!Cut garlic into fine cubes, pressed garlic unfortunately tastes bitter! Put the garlic on a cutting board, then cut it into fine cubes with a knife. Now you can marinate the chicken legs: Spread some olive oil on the chicken legs with the pastry brush. Then season with salt, pepper, garlic and curry. But I almost forgot something!
Curry always needs something sweet! Season gently with brown sugar, a little Stevia or cover the legs with a thin thread of honey. In this way you give the legs a wonderful taste kick!Dishes with curry always tolerate a small sweet addition. We know this from the Indian kitchen and we want to pass this knowledge on to our clubs! © Food Photographer Thomas Sixt Now place the seasoned legs on the baking tray and baking paper in the oven.
Cooking time of chicken legs with garlic: 170°C hot air about 40 minutes.Because of the garlic I reduce the temperature to the range of 170°C. Above that the garlic tends to burn. If you should prepare the legs without garlic, you can continue cooking in the range of about 200°C, the cooking time is then reduced by about 8-10 minutes. I prepared these chicken legs without garlic and then put them on a serving tray :-). Try both variations: With or without garlic and discover the best seasoning for you!
3. Prepare the LOW CARB Side DishToday we have a wonderful salad as a side dish. If it has to go quickly, buy a colourful leaf salad and wash it briefly and spin dry. Colourful leaf salads in the salad spinner. Only dry lettuce accepts the salad marinade. Please also wash lettuce from the package briefly! If you have more time and leisure, you can buy unpacked whole lettuce, depending on the market supply. This should also be washed, spin-dry and plucked.
For the health and environment I recommend whole heads of lettuce. These are untreated and unpackaged.Here is a small overview of the salad varieties: Supplement the leaf salad with vegetables: zucchini and carrots, celery and mushrooms make a great salad. Cut the vegetables into fine strips so that the marinade is better absorbed by the salad. Finely grate or grate the vegetables. Vegetable strips go wonderfully with salad. Oh, we still need the salad dressing…
Simple low carb salad dressing: Mix lemon juice, salt, pepper, some stevia and add olive oil.
4. Cooking VideoThe cooking video shows you exemplary the preparation and another variation with a Mediterranean ingredient!
5. Recipe Chicken Legs from the Oven with Salad
Chicken Legs with Salad Low Carb
Fast low carb dish, cooked, photographed, filmed and written down by professional chef Thomas Sixt.
Chicken thighs and marinade
|2-4||pc||chicken legs (Whole chicken thighs!)|
|1||pc||Garlic clove (I like to use young garlic)|
|4||pinches||brown sugar (or Stevia)|
|1||tsp||Sugar (oder Stevia)|
|1-2||tbs||cashew nuts (or almonds or peanuts)|
Prepare a baking tray and cover with baking paper. Preheat the oven at hot air stage 200-220° Celsius.
Wash the chicken thighs and dry with kitchen paper. Place the chicken pieces with the skin facing upwards on the baking paper.
Brush the chicken skin with olive oil, finely dice the garlic and sprinkle on the chicken, season the chicken pieces with salt, pepper, a little sugar and curry. Put the baking tray in the oven and reduce the temperature to 180°C, the cooking time is about 40 minutes.
Squeeze the lemon, mix with salt, pepper and stevia and leave to stand for a short time. The spices should dissolve. Stir in the olive oil and make a creamy dressing. You can add mustard to the dressing!
Wash the salad and spin dry, cut or grate the vegetables and place in a bowl to marinate.
Put the chicken pieces on the plate, marinate and arrange the salad, decorate with nuts and serve. Bon appetit!
6. Professional Cooking Tips
If you want it to go faster, then cut the chicken legs at the joint once. The cooking time is then reduced by about 10 minutes.
Always marinate the salad just before serving, so that the salad is crisp when served!
I do not distinguish between thighs or legs in this recipe, the legs are the upper part of the thighs.
You can replace the sugar with maple syrup, honey, agave syrup or birch sugar. Syrup can be dosed very well as a thin thread.