Beef Ragout with Rioja-Elder Sauce, glazed Vegetables and mashed Potatoes German Style
Thomas Sixt is a chef, food photographer and cookbook author.
Here he shares recipes, answers cooking questions and helps with cooking.
Table of Contents
1. Quickly prepare Beef Ragout with FilletBack to the beef stew, get beef fillet or beef filet tips and cut the fillet into 3 cm cubes. For this dish you also need a veal stock, which you either prepare yourself or buy in a glass. I like to use Spanish Rioja red wine for my dark sauces. This wine is powerful in taste and has the appropriate density to get a great sauce.
Spanish Rioja red wine and veal stock – veal sauce are the perfect base for the sauce!
2. Beef ragout with red wine and sauce binding made easyThe binding for the sauce is done by the corn starch. Maize starch is always stirred cold and then added to the boiling liquid. This prevents lumps from forming and gives the sauce the optimum consistency. The trick with this preparation is that the sauce is cooked beforehand. Veal stock and red wine are boiled down in a pot, the corn starch takes care of the binding, butter and ground black elderberry sweets lead to the desired taste explosion.
Elderberry sweets refine the sauce and conjure up a wonderful aroma.The sauce is basically ready before the meat is fried. This is a further distinction to a stewed beef stew, where sauce and meat in the pot spend a long time together. The meat is only fried in the pan, then the sauce is added and the fine beef ragout is cooked to the desired cooking burr with more or less heat. This is another highlight of this ragout: the beef fillet cubes can be cooked medium, are then still nice and juicy inside and delight in taste and consistency especially.
Medium-cooking beef fillet cubes – the result is a fantastic, fine ragout at star level!
3. Side dishes with beef ragoutBefore the meat is placed in the pan, the side dishes must be prepared. I made a potato mash and a fine buttered vegetable into a beef stew. The side dishes succeed quickly, the vegetables are cooked by steam and are therefore particularly healthy and come colourful and firm to the bite on the plate. Only the broccoli I rather blanch in boiling water, so that the “cabbage taste” becomes more pleasant. A light addition of butter and olive oil in both side dishes creates a harmonious togetherness and is a tasty and round lucky charm in the direction of the sauce. For the mashed potatoes please use mashed potatoes, so that the colour and the consistency becomes appealing and the side dish can keep the level. As a substitute for mashed potatoes or potato puree you can also prepare buttered potatoes or a potato gratin.
4. Cooking Video of the Beef RagoutI have prepared a cooking video in which the preparation of beef ragout together with the sauce and the side dishes is shown exactly so that everything really works out and you get everything optimally on the plate. Wish you good luck!
5. Recipe Beef Ragout
Beef ragout with rioja-elder sauce, glazed vegetables and mashed potatoes
Recipe for Beef ragout with Fillet. It´s a quickly stew prepared with fillet of beef and red wine. A recipe with cooking video by german chef Thomas Sixt.
|500||g||beef goulash (roughly diced)|
|1||bottle||Rioja (spanish red wine)|
|1||glass||veal stock (How to cook veal stock, veal sauce, veal jus)|
|5||black elder candies|
Cut the fillet of beef into 3×3 large cubes and prepare for frying later. Bring the red wine to the boil with the veal stock and reduce to about half the quantity. Dissolve the corn starch in some cold water and slowly reduce the boiling sauce until the desired consistency is reached. Crush the Kaiser Schwarzer Holunder Meisterbonbons in a mortar and add to the prepared sauce, assemble with cold butter and make ready.
Peel the potatoes, cut them evenly into small pieces and boil them in salted water until soft. Drain the cooked potatoes and mash finely, season with thyme, salt, pepper, nutmeg, olive oil (instead of cream) and some butter and refine.
Cut the zucchini into equal diamonds and cook until al dente over steam, peel the carrots and cook in a steamer over boiling water until al dente. Divide the broccoli into beautiful florets, cut the stalk crosswise and blanch until firm to the bite.
Fry the fillet of beef cubes on all sides in a very hot pan with a little sunflower oil. The meat should get a light brown colour. Pour in the prepared sauce and cook next to the stove to the desired cooking degree (meat medium).
Mix the prepared, steamed and blanched vegetables in a saucepan with foamed butter and heat, season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Serve the beef ragout with side dishes: Use heated plates, then first place the potato mash, the vegetables and the almond sticks, then the ragout with sauce. Serve quickly, whet your appetite!
The beef fillet cubes are medium in cooking degree when red meat juice escapes from the surface of the meat.
6. Calories and Nutritional values for Beef Ragout
7. Other Ragout Recipes and Goulash Recipes
Comments, Cooking Questions and Answers
Below you can write to me directly.
Please don't forget the star rating on the recipe, 5 stars means you liked it!