OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Here I show you my Black Salsify Vegetables. The black salsify is regionally also called winter asparagus, miner’s asparagus and asparagus of the poor man.
The season for this delicious root vegetable is from October to May.
The striking dark roots contain vitamins E, A, C and various B vitamins. They also contain the minerals potassium, magnesium, calcium and iron. The root also contains the fibre inulin, which supports the fat metabolism and harmonises the intestinal flora.
The wild black salsify was used in early times as a medicinal plant against the plague and snake bites. The vegetables originate from Southern Europe and have been cultivated here since 1700.
The root vegetable tastes excellent in butter glazed and is a great side dish to braised roast, duck and goose.
Today I recommend you to perform like a surgeon in your kitchen! Since the black salsifies stick terribly when peeling, rubber gloves are a recommendable equipment!
Below you will find the detailed instructions with step by step photos.
1. Properly peel and prepare the Black Salsify
The black salsifies need special treatment… please peel with gloves and always place the peeled roots in lemon water.
This keeps the vegetables white and looks like asparagus!
To make you look like a professional in the kitchen, here is the quick guide for “without despair”…
- Please get rubber gloves and put them on.
- Fill a large bowl or a roaster with water and add plenty of lemon juice.
- Peel the black salsifies and place in the lemon water.
- Clean the peeler and peel the roots again finely in a second pass.
We don’t need brown black salsifies… Please soak the peeled roots in lemon water!
2. Preparing simple Black Salsify Vegetables
You can combine your finely chopped vegetables with different ingredients.
- Butter or margarine to sweat on
- Salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne pepper and finally some sugar for seasoning
- You can use cream optionally
- For the herbs I recommend thyme, parsley and chervil.
- White truffle oil fits wonderfully…
My favourite variant is brown butter, the nutty taste harmonises perfectly with the vegetables.
3. What goes with Black Salsify Vegetables
This delicious winter vegetable goes excellently with the following dishes
- marinated pot roast
- boeuf a la mode
- venison roast
- venison in pepper cream sauce
- venison steak
- duck breast
- roasted duck legs
- duck roast
- roast goose
4. Black Salsify Vegetables Recipe
Hopefully I have now given you enough suggestions for cooking black salsify. Following the recipe and step by step photos.
OTHER LANGUAGES: German