OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Veal shank as roast veal, that sums up the idea! The veal shank is, after all, the ideal roast for the guest kitchen: easy to prepare, absolutely sure to succeed, the luxury class shank. A French star chef once called the veal shank the “Bentley on the table”… The pork knuckle cannot compete with the veal knuckle in terms of taste. The veal knuckle is strong in taste and yet fine. Now let yourself be inspired to stew veal knuckle, here you can go directly to the recipe for veal knuckle… Have fun and good luck!
1. How do you prepare a Knuckle of Veal?
- Preorder the veal shank at the butcher, for 4 persons a veal shank of 2 kg is sufficient.
- In addition to the veal shank, order 2 kg of finely chopped veal bones and prepare a veal stock. Alternatively you can buy a veal stock in a jar.
- Buy soup vegetables: celery, carrots, leek, onions, parsley roots.
- I recommend garlic, thyme, bay leaf, sweet paprika and tomato puree as aromatics.
- Get a good red wine for cooking, I recommend you a Spanish red wine.
- Preparation in short form: Season the knuckle of veal, fry, roast finely chopped vegetables in the roaster, add the tomato paste and roast until light brown, pour in the wine and veal stock, add the aromatics, cover and braise for 2 hours in the oven.
2. Which Side Dishes go with the Veal Shank?
Here are some ideas for side dishes for roast veal – the veal shank, so I can answer the question: What should I eat with the veal shank?
Spaetzle, finger noodles, mashed potatoes, celery puree, potato gratin, finger noodles, gnocchi, potato dumplings, napkin dumplings, bread dumplings, parsley potatoes, fried potatoes, ribbon noodles, tagliatelle.
Broccoli with almonds, broccoli with butter crumbs, glazed carrots, glazed root vegetables, red cabbage & blue cabbage, cream savoy cabbage, Brussels sprouts with butter crumbs, Brussels sprouts with almonds, vegetables tossed in butter.
Star chef tip: Refine your sauce with porcini mushrooms, chanterelles or morels!
3. Cook the Knuckle of Veal properly
I learned how to stew veal in Bavaria. The veal shank comes after the browning and infusion with lid into the oven. The veal shank can then be cooked at moderate heat. This has less to do with low temperature, because low temperature would mean about 120°C. A good temperature range for braising the knuckle of veal is 170°C with the lid closed. You can also stew your knuckle of veal in a Roman pot, after I have broken such a clay pot already once, I prefer to stew the knuckle of veal in a roaster. Please forget all pseudo-tips for steaming the veal shank, I have tried it all out and the best is still stewing the veal shank with the lid.
4. Recipe Veal Shank
Below is my recipe for the veal shank, I wish you every success. Please send questions directly via the comment function!
OTHER LANGUAGES: German