OTHER LANGUAGES: German
My recipe Goose Roast I present to you in this contribution. I have prepared this summary for you so that the roast goose comes perfectly with fine side dishes on the table.
I show you in nine videos: Buy goose, fill, fry, trigger… serve crispy, prepare goose sauce, dumplings and red cabbage.
Today we are going step by step to success and we have the kitchen timing in mind for a stress-free cooking experience.
So if you want to prepare Martin’s goose or Christmas goose perfectly, you’ll find the right instructions here.
Good luck! Please share this article on Facebook, thank you!
- 1. Preparing Goose Roast in a classic Way, the most important Things at a Glance
- 2. Roast Goose Cooking Time
- 3. Ideas for Kitchen Timing, Guest Kitchen and Christmas Goose
- 4. Cooking Videos
- 5. Recipe Goose with Dumplings and Red Cabbage
- 6. Calories (kcal) and Nutritional Values
- 7. Updated... Vegetarian Christmas Goose
- 8. Other Recipes and Recommendations
1. Preparing Goose Roast in a classic Way, the most important Things at a Glance
Get all the ingredients…some decisions still to be made these I have marked for you…
Roast poultry and sauce:
- Buy fresh or frozen goose.
- Defrost overnight on a baking tray covered with a tea towel. Cook the innards and neck in the oven.
- For the sauce, buy a veal stock or cook yourself.
- Make enough onions, apples and marjoram or mugwort available for the filling.
The classic filling for roast goose consists of onions, apple and mugwort.
Mugwort and marjoram as an addition have a cultural background: the mugwort, whose botanical name is Artemisia vulgaris, is associated with Artemis, the Greek goddess of wild hunting, the virgin warlike moon goddess, the mistress of medicinal plants and herbalists as well as the patron saint of wild animals and protector of women and guardian of childbirth.
Mugwort and marjoram support the taste and fat burning of fatty foods, so these herbs are perfect for roasting poultry.
Cook red cabbage yourself the day before or refine a prepared red cabbage and put it in a pot.
Prepare napkin dumplings with rolls or pretzel sticks, alternatively potato dumplings.
2. Roast Goose Cooking Time
The cooking time, depending on the oven and the weight of the goose, is 2.5 – 3 hours at a temperature of 170 degrees Celsius. If you use bottom and top heat, the frequent turning of the roast poultry is necessary for an even cooking result.
Cooking time of “Videogoose” at a weight of 3.5 KG: 2 hours
3. Ideas for Kitchen Timing, Guest Kitchen and Christmas Goose
So that cooking is fun, here are some tips from the professional kitchen for optimal timing…
- Put your roast poultry in the oven in the morning if you want to put it on the table in the evening.
- Trigger the roast poultry around 12 o’clock.
- Carve the breast, legs and meat from the carcass and place on a baking tray with the skin up.
- Use the carcass, filling, offal, neck and parts of the dripping with veal stock to prepare the goose sauce.
- Take care of the side dishes in the afternoon.
- After 2-3 hours of cooking, strain the sauce, bind it and prepare it.
Later, heat the goose pieces crispy under the grill, apply heated side dishes and serve the delicious roast poultry with the sauce.
4. Cooking Videos
In the introduction I promised you some videos for the preparation. The entire preparation of poultry roast, side dishes and sauce with all tips you can find as a complete playlist here.
You could have a look at the whole preparation in peace and take all tips 🙂 with you!
4.1 Video Preparing Goose in the Oven
4.2 Red Cabbage as a Side Dish
I cook the red cabbage fresh the day before because it is already prepared. In addition, the red cabbage tastes better when warmed up several times.
4.3 Dumplings as Side Dish
As dumplings you can prepare bread dumplings or napkin dumplings. The preparation of the dumplings I show you in the video.
If you want to save time, you can use a ready-made dumpling. Half and half potato dumplings have proven themselves as a side dish. You can find even more information, variations and tips at the recipe napkin dumplings.
Video Prepare napkin dumpling mass:
Video wrapping prepared bread dumpling mass in aluminium foil
4.4 Cook Poultry Roast until perfectly crispy
Pour the gravy over the goose every 20 minutes and do not forget to add salt.
4.5 Trigger or carve Goose Roast
So that it succeeds surely here the description:
- Remove the clubs, then the breasts along the breastbone.
- Remove the remaining goose meat from the bone with a small knife and use for the pan dish for dinner.
- Place the goose pieces on a baking tray with the skin side up.
- The goose legs can be divided again at the joint, breasts should only be divided after the crispy grilling so that they remain juicy.
With my kind of roast goose preparation, the goose is already released before the guests are there. So I bring the goose pieces perfectly crispy cooked on the plate.
Shortly before serving, the goose pieces are put into the oven again, step grill with hot air at 220°C. The grill is then ready to serve. So I can cook the goose pieces exactly hot and crispy. This relieves the strain in the kitchen and provides an optimal result.
4.6 Prepare Goose Roast Sauce
Once the goose has been fried and released, there is still time to cook a great goose sauce from the carcasses, which really deserves its name. Here are the instructions in short form….
- Sweat apple pieces, chopped onions and marjoram in a high saucepan.
- Add the carcasses, roast residues from the baking tray with a little goose fat or only the dark roast fat.
- You can also put the innards, wings and neck or collar in the goose sauce.
- Fill up with veal stock and simmer gently for 2 (at least) to 4 hours.
After the sauce has developed sufficient flavour, pass it through a fine sieve. Then bring to the boil and reduce and thicken with cold mixed starch or a freshly grated potato. Season to taste and prepare for serving.
Mix the sauce with cold butter before serving and season again with salt and pepper if necessary. Here are the videos….
Prepare the Goose Sauce:
Tie and Finalize the Sauce:
4.7 Prepare and arrange Goose Roast crispy
Finish roast poultry and arrange with side dishes:
- Keep the dumplings warm, cooked on a baking tray, sliced at an angle.
- Bring the red cabbage to the boil, drain the cabbage on a sieve.
- Bring the sauce to the boil and mix with butter.
- Put the plates in a hot place.
- Heat the goose pieces on the baking tray with the skin up under the grill.
Serve goose with crispy skin and side dishes
5. Recipe Goose with Dumplings and Red Cabbage
Wow – almost done, now you can go to the kitchen and get started. Have fun!
OTHER LANGUAGES: German