OTHER LANGUAGES: German
The recipe Rabbit Roast, original from the Mallorquin kitchen I present to you in this contribution.
It was 38°C in the shade when I happened to stroll past Jorge’s barbecue kitchen in S’Alqueria Blanca after my shopping at noon in July, and an incomparably delicious smell came towards me. Great, my stomach growl came back to my mind and I took a closer look.
Jorge turned chicken and rabbit at the openly fired, Spanish grill and braised under the grill in addition the potatoes. We both got into conversation and I was allowed to try some of the rabbit in advance. Wow, that was a pleasure!
Of course I wanted to know exactly how to prepare something so delicious. So I learned Jorge’s culinary rabbit secret, which I like to share with you here.
- 1. Preparing Rabbit Roast – What you need for it
- 2. Prepare Rabbits whole on the Grill or in the Oven
- 3. Which side Dishes go with it?
- 4. Rabbit Roast Recipe Mallorcan Style
- 5. Nutritional values and calories
- 6. Further recommendations
1. Preparing Rabbit Roast – What you need for it
You can buy Roger Rabbit as a whole. If your butcher doesn’t have a rabbit at the moment, you can buy frozen goods in the well-stocked supermarket. First I’ll introduce you to Jorge cooking it all on the grill.
However, if you don’t have the luxury grill in the garden, you can also prepare the rabbit in the oven. I would dismantle the rabbit in the kitchen for the roaster.
First release the hind legs and forelegs, then the back with kidneys and fillet, leaving the belly lobes on the back so that you can bind the rabbit roast to a kidney roast.
2. Prepare Rabbits whole on the Grill or in the Oven
2.1 Jorge’s Variant: All on the Grill
In the original version from Mallorca, the rabbit stays whole and is only freed from the innards except for the liver, kidneys and heart before the grilling, even the head stays on. Washing and dry dabbing does no harm.
Then comes the most important thing: The marinade!
- olive oil
- sea salt
- lemon abrasion
- finally honey with lemon juice
Jorge’s gonna be painting his roast with this. He now clamps the rabbit in a kind of grill and so it comes on or to the grill. The ingenious thing about it is that the potatoes stew in the drained brew.
During the grilling Jorge brushes the marinade again and again on the meat. So it stays juicy and tender!
2.2 Oven Variant: Prepare Rabbit in the Roaster or on the Baking Tray
The variant for at home and in the oven goes as follows… Use a large roaster or a flat, high baking tray.
- Preheat oven at 190°C.
- Prepare the marinade as described in the instructions below.
- Massage the pieces of meat with the marinade.
- Place all the meat in the roaster or point it at the deep baking tray. Add half the herbs as a whole.
- Add well washed and halved triplets or new potatoes and season with salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme.
- Now put the preparation in the oven. Reduce the temperature to 180°C.
- After 30 minutes pour on with a little dry white wine.
- Rub all meat parts again and again with the stock, bind the remaining herbs to a brush.
- Depending on the oven, the cooking time is approx. 60 minutes.
- Sprinkle the meat with the broth every 15-20 minutes.
About 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, spread the roast with honey and lemon juice and flavour with it.
3. Which side Dishes go with it?
In the simplest variant, this dish is only served with potatoes. These simply cook with the grill or in the oven. This is very practical.
Of course there are other side dishes to go with it, try a Ratatouille or the typical vegetables of the Balearic Islands, Tumbet…
Aioli – the traditional garlic mayonnaise with rollado – is a popular dish in Spain. Rollado is the delicious cold tomato sauce, seen in the middle of the picture.
4. Rabbit Roast Recipe Mallorcan Style
OTHER LANGUAGES: German