OTHER LANGUAGES: German
My potato salad recipe from Vienna I present to you in this contribution with many tips and ideas. Since I come from Bavaria but have been living in Austria for 20 years, my recipe with many variations is a good place to go for you. The recipe potato salad you will find at the end of the page. Good success … share this post on Facebook.
- 1. Viennese Potato Salad Figlmüller, a good Start!
- 2. Prepare the Dressing for the Potato Salad
- 3. Potato Salad “Erdäpfelsalat” with Mayonnaise
- 4. Styrish Erdäpfelsalat with Pumpkin Seed Oil
- 5. Erdäpfelsalat with Lamb’s Lettuce “Vogerlsalat”
- 6. Onions in the Erdäpfelsalat
- 7. The right Potato Variety is Needed for Potato Salad!
- 8. More Recipes for Potato Salad
- 9. My Recipe for Viennese Potato Salad
- 10. Erdäpfelsalat Tips and Tricks
- 11. Nutrition Information about My Potato Salad
1. Viennese Potato Salad Figlmüller, a good Start!
As a tourist and local you are at Figlmüller in the potato salad heaven. I don’t know of any gastromic establishment where potato salad tastes so good and the quality remains the same. Respect! There are three Figlmüller restaurants in the centre of Vienna, all close to Bäckerstrasse. The oldest and most famous restaurant is in the passage to Wollzeile, known for the fantastic Wiener Schnitzel. The second restaurant is called Lugeck at the beginning of the Bäckerstrasse, the third is in the Bäckerstrasse after the Lugeck on the right side. For those who want to add Wiener Schnitzel to the potato salad heaven, I recommend two visits: First eat Wiener Schnitzel from veal in the Lugeck, second try in the other both restaurants the big breaded Schnitzel from the pork. I wouldn’t be surprised if you stopped for a third time! But now quickly switch to making your own potato salad:
2. Prepare the Dressing for the Potato Salad
The potato salad dressing was shown to me by a Viennese cook with a heart. Beef broth, red wine vinegar, tarragon mustard, salt, pepper, sugar and red onion cubes. The special thing about the Viennese potato salad is that the onion cubes are added to the broth, but are not allowed to boil. They only have to draw and therefore still have a good bite. The tarragon mustard adds its typical Austrian “mustard” and here the proverb of the finest works! More details about the recipe below.
3. Potato Salad “Erdäpfelsalat” with Mayonnaise
I don’t want to write much about it here because it’s a contribution of its own, the recipe potato salad with mayonnaise, to which I’d like to refer.
Erdäpfelsalat with mayonnaise makes one or the other really happy!
4. Styrish Erdäpfelsalat with Pumpkin Seed Oil
Prepare my basic recipe potato salad below and add pumpkin seed oil to each serving on your plate. In addition I recommend the Styrian pumpkin seed oil from Pelzmann. The onions can be added raw, but freshly cut.
5. Erdäpfelsalat with Lamb’s Lettuce “Vogerlsalat”
Vogerlsalat is only called that in Bavaria and Austria. Further names are Lamb’s Lettuce, Rapunzel and Field Salad. The Vogerlsalat is washed, cleaned (roots away!) and dried under the prepared Erdäpfelsalat lifted. Who makes it clever saves some salad for decoration and also a little dressing. Then marinated lettuce leaves are added to the salad and that looks great. Have a look at the article wash lamb’s lettuce, then everything will go just fine.
Erdäpfelsalat with Vogerlsalat to the Wiener Schnitzel a classic combination.
6. Onions in the Erdäpfelsalat
The onion thing is with me with every potato salad recipe. The potato salad is no exception. The potato salad ferments when it is prepared with raw onions and remains standing for too long. For onions in potato salad there are three variants and rules in the preparation:
- Just before serving, cut the onions fresh and mix them with the potato salad. Eat everything promptly – the shelf life of the potato salad is limited (even if stored in a cool place).
- Blanch the onion cubes briefly, then mix into the salad, cooled down – keep cool for approx. one day.
- Marinate the onion cubes in some vinegar and sugar for approx. 10 minutes and then mix in without the marinade – keep cool for approx. one day.
7. The right Potato Variety is Needed for Potato Salad!
Potato varieties that do not decompose are in demand. These are, at best, shape-retaining, waxy (also called “fatty”) or predominantly waxy potato varieties such as: Agria, Bamberger Hörnchen, Hansa, Linda, Marabel, Sieglinde, Ditta, Cilena, Nicola, Selma. The floury potatoes are better for mashed potatoes and potato dough.
8. More Recipes for Potato Salad
potato salad with mustard, Bavarian potato salad from Munich, potato salad with yogurt, Swabian potato salad, easy potato salad, classic potato salad, potato salad with bacon, potato salad with mayonnaise, Potato Salad with Lamb’s Lettuce and Porcini Mushrooms in Strudel Dough.
9. My Recipe for Viennese Potato Salad
OTHER LANGUAGES: German