OTHER LANGUAGES: German
My recipe Potato Salad with Lamb’s Lettuce and Porcini Mushrooms in Strudel Dough I show you in this article.
I love potato salad with lamb’s lettuce and seed oil. Now I show you an exciting starter with this potato salad.
I combine the traditional potato salad with porcini mushrooms in a strudel dough as a small bag. You can also use mushrooms, herb mushrooms or chanterelles instead of porcini mushrooms.
The dish is vegetarian with egg, hints for a vegan variation are included in the recipe.
As a true Bavarian, I find the Austrian version of potato salad exciting and varied.
Please cook this and share it with your friends on Facebook. Thank you!
- 1. Potato Salad as a Starter with crispy Porcini Mushroom Strudel Dough
- 2. Styrian potato salad, traditionally called “Erdäpfelsalat”, prepared by yourself
- 3. The optimal Potato Variety for Potato Salad “Erdäpfelsalat”
- 4. Preparing Potato Salad quickly and easily
- 5. Prepare “Erdäpfel-Vogerlsalat”
- 6. Erdäpfelsalat and Onions, please follow my Instructions!
- 7. Other Recipes for Potato Salad
- 8. Recipe Potato Salad
- 9. Calories (kcal) Potato Salad with Lamb's Lettuce, Seed Oil and Strudel Dough - Mushroom Pocket
1. Potato Salad as a Starter with crispy Porcini Mushroom Strudel Dough
I love porcini mushrooms, chanterelles, mushrooms “Schwammerl” in general. The mushrooms are finely chopped for this dish, fried with onions and garlic over high heat. Then refine with parsley and lemon grater, salt, pepper and nutmeg. The mushroom mass, cooled down, is then placed in portions on strudel dough, finally wrapped in the strudel leaf and fried until crispy.
Strudel dough mushroom pocket you can prepare with various “Schwammerl” mushrooms!
2. Styrian potato salad, traditionally called “Erdäpfelsalat”, prepared by yourself
The potato salad is regionally assigned to Styria/Austria due to the preparation and the contained seed oil. I can’t remember that we in Bavaria ever had a pumpkin seed oil in our house. Today a good pumpkin seed oil can be found almost everywhere, even in Bavaria. Kernel oil tastes delicious and offers a lot of good oleic acids, which do body and soul good! I am a fan of the pumpkin seed oil, it convinces me in the taste. My good friend Christine comes from Styria and there are always exciting potato salad discussions to optimize and improve. The steirische Erdäpfelsalat needs red onions, lamb’s lettuce, a hearty marinade and a good pumpkin seed oil as finish.
3. The optimal Potato Variety for Potato Salad “Erdäpfelsalat”
For the potato salad with lamb’s lettuce “Vogerlsalat” and seed oil you need shape-retaining, waxy (also fat cooking varieties) or predominantly waxy potato varieties such as: Agria, Bamberger Croissants, Cilena, Ditta, Hansa, Linda, Marabel, Nicola, Sieglinde or Selma. With these potatoes you will succeed your “Erdäpfel-Vogerlsalat” outstanding.
4. Preparing Potato Salad quickly and easily
Anyone who often looks at recipes in my blog knows my incentive to simplify the preparation of dishes. You can cook the potatoes with peel in salted water, peel them and make potato salad from them. If you want it to go fast, peel the potatoes raw, cut them into slices, boil the potato slices directly into vegetable broth. This saves you 2/3 of the time and the potato salad gets on your plate faster!
5. Prepare “Erdäpfel-Vogerlsalat”
Lamb’s lettuce or Vogerlsalat must always be prepared with particular care and devotion. Otherwise the beautiful flowers will break. The quick guide: Remove the roots of lamb’s lettuce, carefully wash lettuce several times in plenty of cold water, carefully weigh it, dry it on a cloth or kitchen paper. I have an exact step by step instruction with many pictures: wash and prepare lamb’s lettuce. It should also be noted that Vogerlsalat is not mixed with Erdäpfelsalat until shortly before serving. The lamb’s lettuce, mixed earlier, would become lax through the vinegar and collapse.
6. Erdäpfelsalat and Onions, please follow my Instructions!
With the onions in the potato salad, please be careful. The onions ferment quickly and the potato salad can no longer be eaten. Here are my tips for processing onions in potato salad:
- Cut the onions fresh just before serving and fold them into the potato salad just before serving. Potato salad should be eaten as soon as possible, the potato salad with onions is only limited, also stored in a cool place, stable.
- Blanch the onion cubes briefly, then mix into the salad, cooled down. This makes the onion cubes more durable and the potato salad can be kept chilled for about one day.
- Marinate the onion cubes in some vinegar and sugar for at least 10 minutes and then mix in without the marinade. Sugar and vinegar make the onion cubes long-lasting, the potato salad can be kept refrigerated for one day.
7. Other Recipes for Potato Salad
potato salad with mustard, Bavarian potato salad from Munich, potato salad with yogurt, Swabian potato salad, easy potato salad, potato salad with bacon, potato salad with mayonnaise, Potato Salad with Lamb’s Lettuce and Porcini Mushrooms in Strudel Dough, Viennese Potato Salad, Classic Potato Salad
8. Recipe Potato Salad
Let’s start cooking, my following recipe will show you step by step. With all the tips you’ve been able to read so far, this starter will be a piece of cake for you!
OTHER LANGUAGES: German