OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Today I’ll show you my recipe for Meatloaf. Do you know “false hare”? The “wrong rabbit” is no rabbit at all. It is the name for a meat loaf with or without egg inside.
The following recipe comes from the kitchen of my dear mum and is a component of the traditional German kitchen.
It is suspected that the name “Falscher Hase” was given by the form of roasting in Germany. Likewise it is to be also because of the fact that the wrong hare was prepared in the same roaster, like the genuine hare bridge from the oven.
In Austria, however, this meat loaf with egg has a different name: Stefanie roast. The following instructions contain many step-by-step photos for the preparation of meat loafs.
I also show you a great variation of the meat loaf sauce and wish you good luck and a good appetite!
1. Meatloaf Shoppinglist
Meat loaf belongs to these wonderful, simple dishes and the list of ingredients is relatively short…
- Minced meat mixed or in the noble variant Minced meat from veal both best in BIO quality
- Bread rolls or buns from yeast dough
- Mustard: Dijon mustard or mustard medium hot
- Veal stock
- Red Wine
- Soup vegetables
- Salt and pepper
Preferably freshly prepared minced meat. Always process the minced meat within 24 hours.
2. Meatloaf Classic Recipe
The meat loaf is prepared in Europe and in Germany from Munich to Flensburg in different variants.
In the overview the recipes are however very similar and differ only in few ingredients…
- The Austrian meat loaf with egg is additionally filled with pickle and is called Stefaniebraten.
- In Austria one knows additionally the meat loaf in the Studelteig or Strudel-Meatloaf.
- My grandmother from Bavaria prepared the meat loaf gladly with Liebstöckl.
- From Stuttgart I know the meat loaf with bacon wrapped.
- In southern Germany the meat loaf is often additionally seasoned with paprika.
- Meat loaf with feta seems to be extremely popular, whereby feta cheese is filled in the meat loaf from boiled egg according to taste. Meatloaf with cheese filling: Emmentaler or Gouda, among other things, is suitable here as a filling in meatloaf.
- Professional chefs like to place the meatloaf in a pork net. This means that the meat loaf is coated with a layer of fat, is particularly gentle to the touch and dimensionally stable. Pre-order the pork net from the butcher and soak it in cold water for one night. Fill in the minced meat mass and close the net downwards.
- In general, the meat loaf recipes differ from north to south by different side dishes.
For special holidays I like to prepare a thin, long meat loaf of veal and fill the veal meat loaf with quail egg.
3. Meat Loaf Side Dishes
The following side dishes go well with the meat loaf…
- Glazed vegetables such as carrots and root vegetables
- Vegetables cooked in the sauce such as celery, carrots, parsley root, shallots,…
- Fried and glazed zucchini
- Red cabbage
- Potato puree
- Pelled potatoes
- Frying potatoes
- Topinambu puree
- Celery puree
4. Simple meat loaf and grandma’s meat loaf
The meat loaf is a traditional, simple, German dish.
I prepare the simple meat loaf without egg filling.
This goes a bit faster!
Refine the minced meat mass additionally with herbs: try thyme, parsley, lovage, dill, marjoram or oregano.
You can use fresh and finely chopped herbs or dried herbs.
Note for the perfect granny meat loaf the oven temperature: 170°C-190°C is a good temperature range to prepare meat loaf.
Pay attention to the proportion of ingredients:
- A juicy meat loaf is made when you use 2 eggs and two rolls on 500 g of minced meat.
- Always squeeze out the bread rolls or buns soaked in milk well, the minced meat mass is then soft and becomes firm during cooking.
Avoid breadcrumbs, breadcrumbs make the meat loaf very firm.
5. Recipe Meatloaf
Below you will find a step by step recipe with many photos and tips for preparing the meatloaf sauce, which I recommend as a basis a purchased or homemade veal stock. Good luck!
OTHER LANGUAGES: German