OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Today I’ll show you my recipe for Roast Duck. Some time ago I cooked this dish with my friend Wolfgang and documented it for you.
The duck is one of my favorite dishes and in the article there are extra many tips for the preparation at star level.
The many step by step pictures accompany you cooking yourself. Additionally I have added some videos.
Here you get the perfect instructions for roasting duck whole, preparing crispy duck, carving duck professionally, preparing duck sauce, side dishes to duck.
Have fun reading!
- 1. Preparing Roast Duck in the Oven, the Overview
- 2. How to prepare a Crispy Duck
- 3. Recipe Duck with Dumplings and Red Cabbage
- 4. Calories (kcal) Roast Duck with Dumplings and Red Cabbage, Nutritional Values
- 5. Other Recipes with Duck
1. Preparing Roast Duck in the Oven, the Overview
The preparation of the duck takes place today in the oven. First I would like to give you an overview, so that the duck roast succeeds simply
- Get a whole duck
- Optional filling for the baking sheet: apple and onion, marjoram and garlic.
- For the sauce veal stock and vegetable broth or chicken broth
- As a side dish, prepare red cabbage yourself or follow my tip below
- As a side dish, prepare potato dumplings or napkin dumplings.
- Prepare Brussels sprouts as a side dish.
For the preparation of the duck you can reserve a time frame of 2-3 hours.
1.1 Fill Duck or prepare Duck without Filling
I learned how to roast ducks from Alfons Schuhbeck. The ducks were always filled with a mixture of apple pieces and onion pieces, seasoned with marjoram.
The filling helps to develop flavours. The gravy and the duck fat will taste delicious.
You can also put your duck unfilled in the oven. Put the apple and onions on the baking tray and you will get a similar effect.
The preparation of the duck resembles the preparation of goose roast, therefore I have inserted you the video:
1.2 German Roast Duck with Dumplings
In today’s recipe I will show you a simple variation with potato dumplings made from half and half potato dough. This is the preferred dumpling mass in Bavaria.
The preparation of this dumpling mass is very easy, you just mix the powder with cold water. Because then still time remains I fill the dumplings with roasted pumpkin seeds. These are then surprise dumplings and these always arrive with guests.
Insider tip for the dumplings: Roast breadcrumbs light brown, add butter and parsley, pour the butter crumbs over the dumplings.
As an alternative I can offer you a recipe of napkin dumplings, Bohemian dumplings and pretzel dumplings. The video of the dumpling preparation follows here:
1.3 Duck and Red Cabbage
You can find a recipe for making red cabbage yourself on my page. My recommendation is: Prepare the red cabbage the day before and then heat it up again. Red cabbage gets better and better on the second day.
If you would like to use a prepared, already cooked red cabbage from the glass, then refine the cabbage with red wine, port wine and apple sauce and let the cabbage simmer gently on the stove.
Refining tips: Add cranberries and a little cinnamon to the red cabbage.
I’ll show you how to prepare red cabbage in the following video:
1.4 Duck Sauce
I have already written elsewhere about the different types of duck sauce.
For a good homemade duck sauce you need the duck carcasses, apple and onions, veal stock and vegetable broth.
The roasted duck you can release at least two, better four hours before serving and prepare the duck pieces on a baking tray.
The duck bones = duck carcasses move into a pot with the gravy and the cooked apples and onions. Add the veal stock and the vegetable stock or chicken stock.
Let this cold sauce simmer gently for two to four hours, then pass through the sauce, reduce, thicken with grated potatoes, mix with butter and serve.
My insider tip for duck sauce: Cut the duck liver raw into small pieces, bring the prepared duck sauce to the boil and add the liver. Do not boil the sauce again, mix, pass through a fine sieve and serve.
The preparation of the duck sauce works like the preparation of sauce for roasting goose, following two videos:
Prepare the Duck Gravy:
Duck Sauce Tip Video:
2. How to prepare a Crispy Duck
The preparation of the crispy duck is very easy. Please heed the following tips:
- Pour the roast juice over the duck in the oven every 30 minutes.
- Pierce the skin of the duck with a thin fork.
- Season the skin with salt after pouring.
- Trigger the duck and place the duck pieces on a baking tray, skin side up.
- Cook the duck pieces in the preheated grill until crispy shortly before serving.
But I have also a video…
2.1 How to carve the Roast Duck – Video
2.2 Crispy Duck Video
3. Recipe Duck with Dumplings and Red Cabbage
The following is the recipe with exact quantities. I wish you good luck!
OTHER LANGUAGES: German