OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Today I present you my recipe Carpaccio. Carpaccio with fillet of beef? Vegetarian carpaccio? In this article I will show you relevant variations of this classic Italian starter.
Carpaccio of beef fillet was first served in Harry´s Bar in Venice in 1950. Find here all important tips for carpaccio preparation, ideas for dressing the carpaccio and discover vegetarian carpaccio variant. Have fun and good luck!
1. Interesting facts about the Carpaccio
Carpaccio is a well-known Italian classic appetizer. Carpaccio consists of wafer-thin beef slices marinated with lemon juice, salt and black pepper.
For carpaccio please use Fleur de Sel, the salt flower harmonises perfectly with this starter!
Gourmets know: Real carpaccio is prepared from fillet of beef. The classic is served with rocket salad, balsamic dressing and grated parmesan.
“Carpacio di manzo” is the Italian translation for beef carpaccio.
Vegetarian and vegan carpaccio varieties can be prepared with vegetables and fruit. The wafer-thin slicing of the ingredients brings out the finest aromas.
2. Prepare carpaccio of fillet of beef step by step
- Have fillet of beef sliced thinly at the butcher’s
- Let the fillet of beef clean, wrap in foil and freeze for one hour, then cut thin slices of fillet of beef on a slicing machine or with a knife.
- Place the beef fillet slices between cling film and carefully plating (knocking).
- For plating you can use a plating iron or a saucepan.
- For plating carpaccio slices, use only a smooth, non-ribbed plating iron and do not use a schnitzel knocker.
- Leave the thinly beaten meat in the foil until serving.
- You can roll up the foil with the meat slices and put it in the fridge.
- Lightly frozen fillet of beef is easier to cut, the meat can then be cut particularly thin!
The fillet slices can be arranged on the plate and tempered in a few minutes..
3. Salad with carpaccio and decorative tips
The classic carpaccio salad garnish consists of rocket salad. You can also use Lollo Rosso and Lollo Bianco, lamb’s lettuce and frisée lettuce. In spring and summer, garden herbs, cress, sprouts and wild herbs such as chickweed, nasturtium and garden dock are available.
The salad washing I show you in an extra contribution, the salad in any case dry, so that the salad dressing adheres well to the salad.
Decoration tip for carpaccio: Softly boiled quail eggs and tomato cubes!
My article “Preparing tomato cubes” shows you how to prepare tomato cubes easily and successfully!
White or black truffles, finely planed, go perfectly with carpaccio!
4. Salad dressing with carpaccio
For the original Italian carpaccio variant you use a matured balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and olive oil. Gourmets like to complement the dressing with white truffle oil in the recipe below you will find the exact quantities.
5. Vegetarian Carpaccio
More and more people are doing without animal products and want to live healthier lives. Therefore you will find here some ideas for vegetarian carpaccio:
- Carpaccio with mushrooms
- Carpaccio with beetroot
- Carpaccio with fennel
- Carpaccio with courgettes
- Carpaccio with eggplants
You can cut mushrooms and fennel very finely with a kitchen slicer, marinate them raw and put them on the plate.
Cook beetroot until soft, marinate and then arrange.
Zucchini I grill briefly in a grooved pan and bring thereby a better optics and more taste on the plate.
Cut aubergines into thin slices, season with salt, turn in flour (gluten-free too!), fry in oil.
6. Recipe Carpaccio
Below you will find my recipe for Carpaccio with exact quantities. I wish you good luck and a good appetite!
OTHER LANGUAGES: German