OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Roast pork is a dish that a Bavarian simply has to cook every now and then. My recipe for roast pork deals with the traditional, original Bavarian roast pork, the crust roast and its classic side dishes bread dumplings, potato dumplings and sauerkraut. Let’s put the roast pork in the oven together! Good luck! Jump directly to the recipe…
- 1. Traditional Bavarian Roast Pork
- 2. Which Meat do you use for Bavarian Roast Pork?
- 3. Bavarian Crusty Roast – this is how a good Krusperl is created!
- 4. Pork Roast pickle and marinate overnight
- 5. Prepare Roast Pork in the Oven
- 6. Roast Pork with Beer Sauce
- 8. Roast Pork with Sauerkraut
- 9. Roast Pork with Dumplings – Recipe for Bread Dumplings
- 10. Roast Pork with Potato Dumplings
- 11. Bavarian Roast Pork – Cooking Video
- 12. Recipe original Bavarian Pork Roast from the Oven
- 13. Calories Roast Pork, the Nutritional Values at a Glance
- 14. Get more delicious Recipes Ideas for Roast Pork and Side Dishes
1. Traditional Bavarian Roast Pork
The recipe for the Bavarian roast pork comes from my grandpa Loibl. Roast pork on Sunday has a long tradition in Bavaria and is eaten at home after church. The classic side dishes are braised vegetables consisting of carrots, potatoes, parsley roots, garlic and onions. The sauerkraut, which is usually cooked the day before because it tastes better when warmed, is served with potato dumplings and bread dumplings. #
2. Which Meat do you use for Bavarian Roast Pork?
The traditional Bavarian roast pork consists of a neck of pork or pork loin and a belly of pork with skin. Pork knuckles are also possible but not the rule. The belly meat becomes a crusty roast. The traditional Bavarian roast pork consists of a neck of pork or pork loin and a belly of pork with skin. Pork knuckles are also possible but not the rule. The belly meat becomes a crusty roast.
The roast pork with filet, is also fantastic but rather a new modern luxury variant. Nevertheless, you can always put a piece of pork tenderloin in the oven for 10-15 minutes to the rest of the roast pork, towards the end of the cooking time. So your loved ones can enjoy a pink roast pork.
3. Bavarian Crusty Roast – this is how a good Krusperl is created!
The belly meat with the skin becomes a crust roast in Bavarian roast pork. The skin must be cut in the raw state. Either the butcher does it for you or you do it yourself. The raw skin is difficult to cut, please use a really sharp kitchen knife or even a carpet knife and be careful. Another option is to boil the skin in a little water. To do this, boil up a little salted water in the pure meat and place the belly meat with the skin side down into the boiling water. The skin can be cut after approx. 10 minutes cooking time wonderfully and exactly. As I said, there are two ways to do it, anybody can do it the way they want.
4. Pork Roast pickle and marinate overnight
Recently I have experimented with the traditional Bavarian recipe and tried the following: The pork roast meat on the day before the preparation, in the evening or marinate. Season the roast pork meat and put it in a freezer bag. Marinate the roast pork in a smart way: Put the paprika, caraway, garlic and pepper with a little oil in a freezer bag, then add the meat and knot the bag. Now you can massage the meat with the herbs and all the flavours are on the meat and not on your hands. Please do not add salt or marjoram. Salt would draw water from the meat and dry the roast, marjoram burns quickly, so I give it only later or even only to the roast pork sauce. The next day you can put the felted marjoram in the oven – wonderful aromas are shown here.
5. Prepare Roast Pork in the Oven
The traditional original Bavarian roast pork is naturally prepared in the oven. My grandfather used to make the roast in the oven with top and bottom heat and then later proudly with hot air. If you prepare the roast pork with hot air, you will save yourself the trouble of turning the pieces of meat over. This is the advantage of hot air. Of course the roast pork will be very tasty in a real granny oven, I mean a wood-heated oven with a small roasting tube. Since we have these however rarely nowadays, I show you the modern variant which tastes just as grandios and by my grandfather Loibl from Lower Bavaria was blessed.
Preheat the oven to 200 ° C, so the roast pork will sweat quickly!
6. Roast Pork with Beer Sauce
Now we have already arrived in the middle of the preparation, then I tell you immediately how the roast pork sauce is made: The meat is seasoned and you put everything on a baking tray. Then you need vegetables, in any case carrots, celery, onions, leeks, garlic and potatoes. Cut the vegetables nicely and season with salt, pepper, paprika and caraway seeds. Place the vegetables around the meat. Now place the roast in the preheated oven.
This is how the beer sauce for roast pork is made.
After about 30-35 minutes the vegetables are browned and the roast has taken on a light colour. Now is a good time to deglaze the roast.
If you pour only water and beer over the roast, you will get a very fine and light pork gravy. This roast pork juice is often seen in cookbooks. Experience has shown that more and more sauce is needed.
6.1 Roast Pork with lots of Sauce
You’ll get more sauce if you add homemade vegetable broth or a gravy cube to your roast pork. I take a cup, add marjoram, some sweet paprika, broth or a gravy cube and a good beer and dissolve all the ingredients. My grandpa used Oettinger beer or Erdinger Weißbier, you can use another light beer, a wheat beer or a dark beer, not a sweet beer at all. I show this in the following video.
6.2 Roast Pork Sauce Gourmet Variation
Comparable with the preparation of veal stock you can roast pork bones, add roasted vegetables without wine, add garlic, marjoram and caraway and cook for 2-4 hours in a large pot. The result is a pork stock, which is used in a reduced form to supplement the sauce. That is hardly done today, because of the effort, if you would like to try it out and questions arise, then simply contact us via the comment function.
8. Roast Pork with Sauerkraut
Sauerkraut is a fixed ingredient in Bavarian roast pork. If the cabbage is cooked longer, it first gets the right taste. My grandfather often cooked the sauerkraut the day before in the evening, left it to stand on a low heat for about 1-2 hours and then warmed it up for roasting the next day. During my apprenticeship at Alfons Schuhbeck we cooked the sauerkraut a little differently: The sauerkraut was always washed out, then prepared with apple compote, spices, bacon and white wine and cooked overnight in the big cauldron. The sauerkraut with apple compote becomes more pleasing in taste because the sweetness of the apple balances the acidity of the sauerkraut.
Prepare the sauerkraut for the Bavarian roast pork the day before. © Foodfotograf Thomas Sixt
Quantity information: 4-6 portions
Preparation time: 90 minutes
8.1 Ingredients Sauerkraut for Roast Pork
500 g sauerkraut, 1 piece onions, 20 g clarified butter, 150 g stewed apple, 2oo g smoked bacon, aromatics: 1 clove of garlic, 3 bay leaves, 5 juniper berries, 5 black peppercorns, 2oo g smoked bacon, 1 tbsp marjoram, for infusion: 0.1 l dry white wine, 0.5 l chicken broth
8.2 Preparation of Sauerkraut for Roast Pork
- Remove the sauerkraut from the can or packaging and empty into a sieve.
- Wash the cabbage well under running cold water.
- Cut the onion in half, peel and finely chop into cubes. Sweat onion cubes in a pot for 5 minutes in clarified butter until colourless.
- Add the washed, well squeezed and drained sauerkraut and mix in the apple compote. Add the bacon in one piece.
- Pour the spices and aromatics into a sachet and add to the mixture.
- Pour the sauerkraut with white wine and chicken stock and simmer for at least 1.5 hours.
8.3 Prepare Sauerkraut – Cooking Video:
9. Roast Pork with Dumplings – Recipe for Bread Dumplings
Bavarian pork roast with dumpling, the bread dumpling is a splendid guy, fluffy and fine in taste. Onion and parsley unfold wonderfully in the bread mass and taste incomparable when dunked in the sauce. The dumpling must always be cooked in a seasoned salted water so that the taste remains in the dumpling. The round dumpling is not even cut at the plate, it is pulled apart with fork and knife. This creates a fluffy surface that can absorb the sauce like a sponge. If you like to prepare napkin dumplings, then I have an extra contribution: recipe napkin dumplings.
Quantity information: ca. 8 pieces
Preparation time: 90 minutes
9.1 Ingredients for Bread Dumplings
12 rolls, 40 g butter, 1 onion, 200 ml milk, 3 eggs, 1 small bunch parsley, salt, pepper, nutmeg
9.2 Preparation of Bread Dumplings
- Cut the rolls into small pieces, fry the finely diced onion in the butter, add the milk, bring to the boil, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour the hot milk over the rolls, mix, let warm, add the beaten and whisked eggs and finely chopped parsley.
- Leave the dumplings to stand at room temperature for 1 hour, then portion with a ladle, form dumplings and soak in boiling salted water.
- Let the dumplings simmer for about 30 minutes.
Cooking video – Preparing Bread Dumplings:
10. Roast Pork with Potato Dumplings
The potato dumpling has been prepared in my family from half and half ready dumpling mass since I can remember. As a trained cook, I can’t leave this in the kitchen and have tried, refined and optimised a recipe for a homemade potato dumpling made from raw and cooked potatoes.
Quantity information: ca. 12 pieces
Preparation time: 90 minutes
10.1 Ingredients for Potato Dumplings
600 g raw, peeled, floury boiling potatoes, 100 ml milk, 300 g floury boiling boiled potatoes of the day before, 90 g corn starch, 4 egg yolks, salt, pepper, nutmeg
10.2 Preparation of Potato Dumplings
- Grate the raw potatoes finely and place them in a bowl with water, lift out the grated potatoes several times by hand and press gently so that the starch can escape.
- Place the prepared grated raw potatoes on a passing cloth and squeeze out. Place the dry potato mixture in a bowl and pour over the boiled milk.
- Add the remaining starch in the water, which has settled, with a little liquid. Leave the potato mixture to become lukewarm.
- Press the boiled, cold potatoes in the skin through a potato press and add them with the corn starch and the egg yolks, seasoned with salt, pepper and nutmeg and mix well.
- Portion the potato dumpling mass with a ladle. Form the dumplings with moistened hands and turn them off and place them in boiling salted water. Let the potato dumplings simmer for about 30 minutes.
11. Bavarian Roast Pork – Cooking Video
12. Recipe original Bavarian Pork Roast from the Oven
Following my original recipe from Grandpa Loibl, I wish you good luck and a good roast pork on your plate!
OTHER LANGUAGES: German