OTHER LANGUAGES: German
As a real Bavarian I would like to recommend my recipe Bavarian Potato Salad to you.
My grandmother in Lower Bavaria prepared the potato salad with vinegar essence. Later, with Alfons Schuhbeck in the kitchen, I was initiated into the high consecrations of the star potato salad variants.
My potato salad tastes sweet and sour. Today I refrain from the red wine vinegar of the star chef, because the colour does not become more beautiful.
I wish you good luck! I would be happy if you cook this up and share this article with your friends on Facebook.
- 1. Which Potato Variety is used for Bavarian Potato Salad?
- 2. Old Bavarian Potato Salad
- 3. What is so special about Bavarian Potato Salad?
- 4. Bavarian Potato Salad Schuhbeck
- 5. Bavarian Potato Salad and Onions
- 6. Bavarian Potato Salad with Cucumber
- 7. Bavarian Potato Salad with Herbs
- 8. Other Recipes for Potato Salad
- 9. Recipe Bavarian Potato Salad
- 10. Bavarian Potato Salad Tips
- 11. Calories (kcal) Bavarian Potato Salad, Nutritional Values
1. Which Potato Variety is used for Bavarian Potato Salad?
The right potato varieties for the Bavarian potato salad are shape-retaining, firm boiling (also called “fat boiling”) or predominantly firm boiling potato varieties such as: Agria, Bamberger Croissants, Cilena, Ditta, Hansa, Linda, Marabel, Nicola, Sieglinde and Selma. This also applies to other potato salads.
2. Old Bavarian Potato Salad
I prepare this potato salad as traditionally as my grandmother taught me. Diluted vinegar essence is used, the potatoes crushed particularly strongly, fresh chives must be in and a simple sunflower oil. Otherwise only salt, pepper and sugar.
3. What is so special about Bavarian Potato Salad?
I would like to answer this question straight away – the Bavarian potato salad is usually a Gatsch. More or less of the cooked potato slices are pressed finely and slices are only sporadically recognizable. The advantage is a very full and potatoy taste. The potato pieces absorb the marinade very well and therefore this white-blue kind of potato salad is intense and strong in taste.
4. Bavarian Potato Salad Schuhbeck
With the Alfons Schuhbeck we usually added crispy fried bacon cubes to the potato salad. You can add one tablespoon of crispy bacon cubes or strips per portion to my variant. The onion cubes were always boiled in broth to avoid fermentation.
5. Bavarian Potato Salad and Onions
The onion info is included with every potato salad recipe. Unfortunately, I have too often had a twice fermented potato salad on the table when I have eaten on the way. Therefore: Raw onions like to ferment in potato salad, so that you prevent that there are three variants for onions in potato salad:
- Just before serving, cut the onions fresh and mix them with the potato salad. Eat everything promptly – the shelf life of the potato salad is limited (even if stored in a cool place).
- Blanch the onion cubes briefly, then mix into the salad, cooled down – keep cool for approx. one day.
- Marinate the onion cubes in some vinegar and sugar for approx. 10 minutes and then mix in without the marinade – keep cool for approx. one day.
6. Bavarian Potato Salad with Cucumber
I don’t know pickles in Bavarian potato salad. Maybe this is rather New Bavarian. The gherkin from the jar is still suitable. You can also add cucumber slices and lamb’s lettuce to the salad and add colour and freshness to the potato salad
7. Bavarian Potato Salad with Herbs
The Bavarian likes the green Wiesn and his herb garden. A little streaky cut parsley fresh from the garden, a lovage or a tablespoon of chives rolls are an excellent tasty addition to the Bavarian potato salad. Be careful with the chives, the shelf life is limited, as with the addition of onions.
8. Other Recipes for Potato Salad
potato salad with mustard, potato salad with yogurt, Swabian potato salad, easy potato salad, classic potato salad, potato salad with bacon, potato salad with mayonnaise, Potato Salad with Lamb’s Lettuce and Porcini Mushrooms in Strudel Dough, Viennese Potato Salad.
9. Recipe Bavarian Potato Salad
OTHER LANGUAGES: German