from Thomas Sixt
Hi, I am a German Chef and Food Photographer. The imparting of cooking knowledge is my great passion. Everyone can cook for himself and with this website I would like to contribute to its success. Cooking questions I answer you gladly at the end of the articles. Have fun and good luck!
Table of Contents
1. Vitello Tonnato – the PreparationFor a wonderful Vitello Tonnato, the best advice is from a butcher. It doesn’t always have to be a topside, there are also various pieces of meat from the shoulder that are excellent for the Vitello Tonnato. Vitello Tonnato – the German name “(gekochtes) Kalbfleisch Thunfisch” (boiled veal – thuna) does not take on the Italian name by far. This is similar to Maserati Quattroporte – the whole republic would laugh about a four-door Mercedes :-). To see in the picture: Vitello Tonato served with gnocchi. For the perfect preparation of Vitello Tonnato, a well cooked veal is important. After frying the veal for a short time and cooking it for a long time, let it rest and cool in a combined wine and vegetable stock – please use fresh soup vegetables. This way you can cut the meat perfectly into thin slices. Soup vegetables for Vitello Tonnato
2. Vitello Tonnato – under Cover with creamy Tuna Anchovy SauceI like the hood for the Vitello Tonnato generous.
The spicy sauce captivates with its fishy-seay component, which is very salty.An important ingredient is the fish: the tuna comes from the can and the anchovies from the glass or the can. Everything is therefore well available for you in the supermarket. For the preparation I always use a blender stick or blender. The preparation takes place in a deep bowl or cup. For the sauce I use the broth after cooking the veal. I also add cream or crème fraîche. A little butter can’t hurt when pureeing. Vitello Tonnato – veal with a creamy sauce of tuna and anchovies garnished with capers
3. Vitello Tonnato, the Recipe
Vitello Tonnato hot or cold
Instructions and recipe for cooking Vitello Tonnato yourself. The classic perfect preparation with tips from bavarian chef Thomas Sixt.
|1||pc||clove of garlic|
|100||ml||dry white wine|
|40||g||tuna from can|
|3||pc||gherkin sweet sour|
PREPREPARATION: Let the butcher clean the topside for cooking. Wash the meat and pat dry. Wash the soup vegetables consisting of carrots, celery, parsley roots and leek. Peel and chop the root vegetables and cut the leek into leaves. Peel and prepare the garlic.
PREPARATION: Season the veal with salt and pepper and fry over medium heat with the butter. Add the prepared soup vegetables and fill up with white wine and water. Add the bay leaf and cook the veal on a low heat with a lid until soft.
Prepare the warm sauce as follows: Remove the meat from the pot and cut into thin slices. Arrange the veal on preheated plates.
Put the anchovies, finely plucked tuna and finely chopped pickled gherkins in a deep cup and mix with a little warm broth. Add the mixture to the rest of the stock and finish with the crème fraîche. Season the sauce again with salt and pepper and serve lightly heated to the meat.
The cold sauce is as follows: Let the meat and the broth cool. Put the anchovies, finely picked tuna and finely chopped pickled gherkins in a deep cup and mix with a little cold broth. Finish the cold sauce to Vitello Tonnato with the crème fraîche, the sauce should be creamy, add some broth to taste. Season the cold sauce with salt and pepper and generously spread the sauce on the finely sliced veal.
You can sprinkle both Vittello Tonnato variants with a few capers – chopped or left whole. The lemon as a decoration can be extra.
4. Side Dishes and Garnishes
Vitello Tonnato goes well with a nice crispy Giabatta or baguette. The cold version of Vittello Tonnato can be prepared very well for the guest kitchen and kept in the refrigerator. You can let the warm Vittello Tonnato rest in aluminium foil or put it in the oven at 80°C. Add the gravy, which escapes when sliced, to the sauce.
5. Calories (kcal) Vitello Tonnato, Nutritional Values
6. Other recipes with tuna
Tuna steak with vegetables – Low Carb
Tuna salad with spinach and apple – Low Carb
Tuna Salad with Romana Salad, Tomatoes, Avocado and Egg
Tuna noodles with garlic, parsley and peperoncino
Spaghetti with tuna and asparagus
Pasta salad with tuna with vegan and vegetarian variation
Tuna Pasta with Basil and Tomatoes
Nizza Salad – Salad Nicoise
Tuna spread with herbs and vegetables