OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Today I’ll show you my recipe for Vitello Tonnato. Vitello Tonnato is a classic and internationally renowned Italian recipe from Piedmont. The cooked veal is a great starter and popular as antipasti.
Warm you can serve this dish of the Italian kitchen as a main course. The dreamlike combination of noble, delicately sliced veal and a finely pureed garnish of tuna, anchovies and capers results in this great taste experience, which you may know from your holidays in Italy.
Today we want to treat ourselves to this at home 🙂 Let’s go: Look directly into the recipe if you are in a hurry…
1. Vitello Tonnato – the Preparation
For a wonderful Vitello Tonnato, the best advice is from a butcher. It doesn’t always have to be a topside, there are also various pieces of meat from the shoulder that are excellent for the Vitello Tonnato.
For the perfect preparation of Vitello Tonnato, a well cooked veal is important. After frying the veal for a short time and cooking it for a long time, let it rest and cool in a combined wine and vegetable stock – please use fresh soup vegetables. This way you can cut the meat perfectly into thin slices.
2. Vitello Tonnato – under Cover with creamy Tuna Anchovy Sauce
I like the hood for the Vitello Tonnato generous.
The spicy sauce captivates with its fishy-seay component, which is very salty.
An important ingredient is the fish: the tuna comes from the can and the anchovies from the glass or the can. Everything is therefore well available for you in the supermarket.
For the preparation I always use a blender stick or blender. The preparation takes place in a deep bowl or cup. For the sauce I use the broth after cooking the veal. I also add cream or crème fraîche. A little butter can’t hurt when pureeing.
3. Vitello Tonnato, the Recipe
- 800 g calf topside
- 1 Bund soup vegetables
- 1 pc clove of garlic
- 1 tbs Butter
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 0,5 l water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 pc bay leaf
- 1 tbs anchovies
- 40 g tuna from can
- 3 pc gherkin sweet sour
- 200 g Créme Fraîche
- 1 tbs capers
- 1 pc lemon
- PREPREPARATION: Let the butcher clean the topside for cooking. Wash the meat and pat dry. Wash the soup vegetables consisting of carrots, celery, parsley roots and leek. Peel and chop the root vegetables and cut the leek into leaves. Peel and prepare the garlic.
- PREPARATION: Season the veal with salt and pepper and fry over medium heat with the butter. Add the prepared soup vegetables and fill up with white wine and water. Add the bay leaf and cook the veal on a low heat with a lid until soft.
- Prepare the warm sauce as follows: Remove the meat from the pot and cut into thin slices. Arrange the veal on preheated plates.
- Put the anchovies, finely plucked tuna and finely chopped pickled gherkins in a deep cup and mix with a little warm broth. Add the mixture to the rest of the stock and finish with the crème fraîche. Season the sauce again with salt and pepper and serve lightly heated to the meat.
- The cold sauce is as follows: Let the meat and the broth cool. Put the anchovies, finely picked tuna and finely chopped pickled gherkins in a deep cup and mix with a little cold broth. Finish the cold sauce to Vitello Tonnato with the crème fraîche, the sauce should be creamy, add some broth to taste. Season the cold sauce with salt and pepper and generously spread the sauce on the finely sliced veal.
- You can sprinkle both Vittello Tonnato variants with a few capers - chopped or left whole. The lemon as a decoration can be extra.
4. Side Dishes and GarnishesVitello Tonnato goes well with a nice crispy Giabatta or baguette. The cold version of Vittello Tonnato can be prepared very well for the guest kitchen and kept in the refrigerator. You can let the warm Vittello Tonnato rest in aluminium foil or put it in the oven at 80°C. Add the gravy, which escapes when sliced, to the sauce.
5. Calories (kcal) Vitello Tonnato, Nutritional Values
6. Other recipes with tunaTuna steak with vegetables - Low Carb
Tuna salad with spinach and apple - Low Carb
Tuna Salad with Romana Salad, Tomatoes, Avocado and Egg
Tuna noodles with garlic, parsley and peperoncino
Spaghetti with tuna and asparagus
Pasta salad with tuna with vegan and vegetarian variation
Tuna Pasta with Basil and Tomatoes
Nizza Salad - Salad Nicoise
Tuna spread with herbs and vegetables
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Antipasti Recipes
- Easter Recipes
- Gluten-Free Starters Recipes
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes
- Low Carb Recipes
- Starters & Appetizers
- Veal Recipes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German