Here I would like to introduce my recipe Vegan Liver Sausage to you. A hearty and quickly prepared spread that beats the taste of many a common meat liver sausage even without animals.
You have to experience this and be it out of curiosity: Vegan liver sausage tastes damn similar to a Fleischleberwurst!
For a long time I have been suspecting that meat is only carried by smoking, curing and its spices. The interesting thing is: banal tofu can do that too. If I use smoked tofu and use the same herbs, I get the same taste experience as with meat.
You don’t necessarily have to be vegan or vegetarian to like this vegetable liver sausage.
Have fun with the preparation and good luck!
1. Vegan Liver Sausage, your Shopping List
For your homemade spread you should get these ingredients:
- Smoked tofu
- Kidney beans
- Shallots or onions
- Soy cream
- Rapeseed oil or safflower oil
- Mustard (Dijon mustard)
- Lemon juice
- Agave syrup
- Pickled green pepper
For the crown on the liver sausage bread you need:
- Fresh cucumber, as side dish
- Garden cress, as side dish
- Pickled cranberries, as a side dish – optional (sweet and hearty, very tasty!)
The tools for a successful preparation:
- Mixer or cutter for pureeing
- The usual hand tools such as pan, wooden board and knife…
2. Prepare Liver Sausage vegan
My basic steps in the preparation of the liverwurst cream are quickly told:
- I finely dice the tofu and shallots.
- I fry both in a pan and add marjoram when frying.
- I drain the canned kidney beans and rinse them under cold water.
- Everything except the side dishes goes into the blender. Some tofu cubes I keep for decoration and for the bite.
My bread for our spread is:
- A self baked Low Carb bread with grains, nuts and vegetables.
As supplement and decoration I recommend:
- Cucumber: Peel and hollow out the cucumber. Cut the cucumber flesh and add it.
- Further decoration tips: Garden cress, cranberries, diced tofu…
3. Recipe Vegan Liver Sausage
- 150 g smoked tofu
- 2-3 pc shallots You can also use fresh yellow onions.
- 2 tbs sun flower oil or olive oil for frying
- 2 tbs marjoram dried
- 150 g kidney beans canned
- 1/2 pc juice of one lemon
- 3 tbs safflower oil or rapeseed oil
- 3 tbs soy cream vegetarian is also possible with cream
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbs agave syrup honey also works
- 1 tbs green pickled pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 pc cucumber
- Prepare the ingredients.
- Cut the smoked tofu crosswise.
- Cut smoked tofu sticks.
- Cut the smoked tofu into 0.5 cm cubes.
- Dice the shallots like the smoked tofu pieces.
- Add the tofu and shallots to the pan.
- Fry with 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the marjoram and fry as well. Set some tofu cubes aside separately to serve.
- Rinse kidney beans under cold water. Put them in the blender.Put fried onion tofu cubes in the blender.Add the lemon juice of half a lemon, 1 tbsp. mustard, 1 tsp. green pickled pepper, 3 tbsp. safflower oil, 3 tbsp. soy cream, 1 tbsp. agave syrup, 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Puree vegan liver sausage in the cutter until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Peel and hollow out half a cucumber and cut it into suitable pieces.
- Decorate bread with fresh cucumber, garden cress, diced tofu or boiled cranberries.Bon appetit!