Recipe Veal Stock to prepare yourself. The step by step instructions will support you.
I often cook veal stock myself and tell you my tips from top gastronomy. My recipe for veal stock, veal sauce and veal jus is very similar to the Schuhbeck recipe, because I learned to cook with Alfons.
The veal stock is used as a basis for veal jus and other sauces. Try this sauce, it has an incomparable taste.
Wish you good luck! I am glad if you share this post on Facebook with your friends!
- 1. Veal Stock Recipe from a German Star Chef
- 2. Veal Bone + Roasted base yields Veal Stock
- 3. Why do the Bones and the Roast Preparation have to be cold at the beginning?
- 4. Veal Stock Sauce
- 5. Reduce the Veal Stock, which results in Veal Juice and Veal Sauce
- 7. Pass Veal Stock through a Passing Cloth
- 8. Preserving Veal Stock
- 9. Recipe for Veal Stock
- 10. Prepare Veal Stock Tips
- 11. Calories Calf Stock, Nutritional Values
1. Veal Stock Recipe from a German Star Chef
At Alfons Schuhbeck, we used boxes of calf bones. The veal bones were first roasted and then boiled for at least nine hours, often overnight, using the roasted root vegetables, tomato paste and red wine. That was one of the first things I learned: The bones give off nine hours of taste and collagen protein.
1.1 The roasted Base for the Veal Stock…
Consists of carrots, celery, yellow beet, parsley roots, generally raw vegetable leftovers and onions with peel and garlic cuttings.
1.2 Vegetables for the Roasting Batch must be roasted…
The finely chopped vegetables are fried in a large pan with a little oil and roasted. The aim is to create a dark colour which, on the one hand, enhances the roast flavour and, on the other hand, has a positive influence on the colour of the veal stock.
1.3 Tomato Puree for the Roasting Process…
When the vegetables have taken a good colour from the roast, tomato puree is added and roasted as well. The tomato paste in turn brings flavour, acidity and colour to the veal stock. When roasting tomato paste, the red wine should already be ready to be deglazed. If the tomato paste is too dark, please deglaze quickly.
1.4 Roasting Bones for the Calf Stock
The veal bones must be roasted for a good 90-120 minutes at 170-180°C in an oven with hot air. Then let the bones cool down or add the veal stock with ice cubes. Be sure to have your bones sawed for preparation at home – the butcher will do that for a small tip!
1.5 Spices and Aromatics for Veal Stock
The veal stock is accompanied by bay leaves, cloves, juniper berries, peppercorns, parsley stalks, thyme, rosemary and garlic. For the wine I like a Pinot Noir or a strong Rioja.
2. Veal Bone + Roasted base yields Veal Stock
The roasted bones are placed in a large pot with the roasted base, then filled with water or broth. Then the wonderful veal stock can be made, let the stock simmer for 5-9 hours at a moderate temperature.
3. Why do the Bones and the Roast Preparation have to be cold at the beginning?
Bones and vegetables give off more flavour when they are put on cold and bring to the boil slowly. Therefore either let all ingredients cool down or put them on with cold water and some ice cubes and bring to the boil slowly. After about an hour you can remove the foam with a ladle.
4. Veal Stock Sauce
After the long cooking process, the vegetables and the bones have given the taste to the stock. You can now pass the veal stock through a fine hair sieve. You can let the bones and the remains of the vegetables cool down and throw them away. The veal stock is now used to prepare other sauces, I write about it among other things at the roast goose or you boil the veal stock and get the best sauce in the world, a veal jus.
5. Reduce the Veal Stock, which results in Veal Juice and Veal Sauce
If your goal is veal jus, boil the previously prepared veal stock to 1/3 of the liquid. This is a good start and you can try and taste the power of this sauce. Many professional chefs reduce the veal stock up to 1/10 of the amount of veal stock. This is a very strong sauce, powerful and expensive.
7. Pass Veal Stock through a Passing Cloth
You can place a passing cloth on a fine hair sieve and then pass through the veal stock. Please note: Please boil the passing cloth in boiling water beforehand to remove any detergent residue and fabric softener. Wring out the passing cloth, keep it wet and humid and smell if it smells neutral. I definitely advise against veal stock with Lenor.
8. Preserving Veal Stock
I either freeze the veal stock or cook it in suitable quantities in jars. Boiling it in a jar has several advantages for me: I can give away a glass and have the veal stock ready to hand in the fridge at the same time, without having to think about thawing it.
9. Recipe for Veal Stock
- 1,5 kg veal bones finely sawn
- 2-3 bunch soup vegetables consisting of carrot, celery, parsley root, leek and onion
- 4 pc onion
- 2 tbs sun flower oil
- 3 tbs tomato puree
- 0,7 l Rioja (Spanish red wine)
- 4-5 liter water
- 2 pc bay leaf
- 2 pc clove
- 4 pc peppercorns black
- according to taste herbs some thyme, rosemary, parsley stalk
- 2 pc clove of garlic
- Brown and roast the veal bones on a grill rack at 180 degrees Celsius hot air in the oven for about 90-120 minutes. Then let the veal bones cool down.
- Wash and clean the soup vegetables and the onions and cut them evenly into small pieces. Put the leek extra in the bowl. Roast the finely chopped vegetables with sunflower oil vigorously and let them take on their colour. You can use a coated cooking utensil, if you use a stainless steel pot, then please scrape off the roasting substances that are produced at the bottom of the pot well, these are important for the taste and colour of the sauce. Add the leek later, it would burn very quickly at the beginning.
- When the vegetables have taken a good colour, add the tomato puree and roast with it. The tomato paste should be roasted dark red to brown. Add the aromatics and deglaze with the red wine, making sure that all the roasted ingredients are removed from the bottom of the pot.
- Now add the cold bones and fill up covered with cold water. The veal bones can now be boiled for up to 9 hours. The veal stock should not boil too much but should be light to strong. The bones give off the good taste to the stock during this time.
- Depending on your wishes, the veal stock can now be boiled down accordingly, resulting in a veal sauce.
- If you reduce the veal sauce even more - boil it down - the result is a particularly fine veal jus with a very strong taste. In any case, the veal stock is poured (passed) through a fine sieve. Professionals additionally pass through a passing cloth so that the last small turbidity substances are also removed from the sauce.
10. Prepare Veal Stock Tips
- Veal bones small sawn at the butcher or butcher in advance order.
- This sauce can be cooked in advance.
- The veal stock or reduced veal jus can be boiled down in glasses.
- The veal stock can be frozen in ice cube moulds for practical removal.
- After cooking, strain the veal stock and place it in the pot with a soup ladle at an angle to the pot (place a cooking spoon under one side of the pot).