OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Here comes my recipe Hawaiitoast. The still popular combination “sweet plus hearty with cheese baked on bread” comes from the German economic miracle years.
In 1955, actor and TV chef Clemens Wilmenrod, who had no cooking training at all, introduced the fast snack to German TV viewers. There were only 3 channels 😉
Why Hawaii? Until the 50s Hawaii was the main producer of canned pineapples (Dole Food Company) and was then replaced by the Philippines and later Thailand.
Accordingly, Mr. Wilmenrod should have called his toast creation “Toast Philippines”.
Undisputedly, Hawaii sounds more melodic and you immediately have pictures of beautiful Hawaiian girls dancing hula in mind.
That’s a nice picture when preparing and enjoying the toast…
We both capture the thought and I send you hip-swinging into the kitchen.
Aloha, I wish you good luck and a good appetite!
1. Your Shopping List – Your Decision
What’s that supposed to mean? It’s about how you want to assemble your individual creation according to your personal taste.
In principle, the following components should be represented: Bread, Ham, Pineapple, Cheese, Cherry
|Classic Evil||wheat bread from discounters||low quality ham from the offer in the discounters||from the can||packaged cheese with "non-natural" orange colour||"something red" that has to eaten from the fridge|
|Classic Fine||bakery white bread freshly sliced||cooked ham from the butcher of trust||fresh pineapple, self sliced||fine cheddar from cheese loaf||cocktail cherry|
|Gourmets||French box white bread imported||delicacy ham from the organic farmer||finest fresh baby pineapple||organic Raclette cheese direct from Switzerland||Amarena cherry|
|Gourmet Freaks||brioche or homemade bread||slices of pork fillet cooked at low temperature||fresh caramelized fig, pineapple or peach, home-picked||truffled brie or other truffle cheese||one cherry cooked in 50 years old port wine|
Which bread should form the basis for you? It should have flat slices. Here are my suggestions for you:
- Box white bread
- Toast / butter toast / sandwich toast (with or without grains, gluten-free…)
- Rye bread / Gerster / Mixed bread
- Wholemeal bread / brown bread / egg white bread / bread with nuts
Which ham or ham substitute would you like to use?
- Cooked ham / Prague ham
- Air-dried raw ham such as Parma ham, Serrano ham, Tyrolean ham etc.
- Smoked ham such as Black Forest ham, salmon ham, etc.
- Meat sausage / Lyoner
- Smoked tofu as vegetarian ham or vegan ham
Important note: Always cover the ham with cheese and pineapple. This will prevent the formation of the harmful acrylamide!
The pineapple, the beautiful bromeliad fruit… Which pineapple or other fruit would you like on your personal toast?
- Fresh pineapple like the cayenne pineapple
- Baby pineapple
- Tinned pineapple in slices and the 50’s greet with greetings
- Mango / Peach for a Karlovy Vary cut
- Apple / Pear
Before you put the fruits in the cheese hiding place, you can sprinkle them with a little brown sugar and caramelise them with the Crème Brûlée burner.
Gourmets place the fruits briefly in a hot pan with foamed butter, sprinkled with sugar and then flambé with rum.
The spirits also differ when it comes to cheese. How should your cheese be: mild, salty, creamy, spicy? A few suggestions for you:
- Cheddar, here are some great originals or industrialized goods
- Processed cheese individually wrapped in foil – very evil
- Semi-hard cheese or hard cheese such as Pecorino or Manchego
- Mountain cheese or cave cheese
- Cheese with blue mould
Your fruity decoration may be rich in contrast. Usually “red” is very popular.
- Cocktail cherry / Amarena cherry / pickled cherry
- Cranberries / cowberries / red jam
- Raspberries / Currants / Blackberries
2. For Copying and Testing…
That’s what the German chefs and German TV chefs known today do:
Tim Mälzer prefers to prepare his toast with black bread, Serrano ham, pineapple and Manchego cheese.
Johann Lafer likes toast with American toast bread, German ham, pineapple and Allgäu mountain cheese.
Frank Rosin loves it classic and perfectly prepared with toasted bread, juicy ham, roasted pineapple and a strong cheddar.
Alexander Herrmann assembles his toast from tramezzini bread, cooked ham, baby pineapple, onion and grated Emmental cheese.
If you want to be creative to the power of 3, use great herbs, butter, garlic, cayenne pepper… You can also put sliced boiled eggs or fried eggs on toast.
As a vegetarian, you’ll be scratching your hooves to ask for avocado cream or avocado. Cucumber, Mediterranean vegetables (fried eggplant slices, grilled zucchini) and tomato (previously caramelized, melted, hmmmm…) are always a hit. But then you deviate strongly from the classic version. But, it is YOUR toast!
The night is young and so are we – Dreams come true with toast Hawaii 😉
3. This Way to the Recipe
Now quickly put on the flower chain, it follows my instructions for you with ingredients and quantities. Have fun preparing and baking. I am looking forward to your questions and comments…
- 8 pc toast breadslices I like to use toast or brioche or gluten-free toast
- 50 g Butter
- 8 slices cooked ham
- 1 pc big pineapple
- 8 slices Cheddar
- 8 pc cocktail cherries or cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 200° C at grill level. Cover a baking tray with paper and make ready.Roast the toast slices in the toaster. Then spread with butter while still hot.Alternatively, you can fry the bread in butter in the pan.
- Cover the buttered toast with the boiled ham.IMPORTANT: Keep the ham away from the edge of the toast. Do not fry the ham uncovered in the oven.
- Cut the pineapple top and bottom with a large sharp knife. Then place the fruit vertically, hold firmly and cut off the skin sufficiently thick in a light curve.
- Variant 1: Pineapple ringsPlace the pineapple horizontally on the chopping board and cut down slices about 0.5 cm thick. Use a metal ring to cut the core out of the individual slices and remove.
- Cover the ham toast with a slice of pineapple.Gourmet tip: Fry the pineapple quarters in butter and caramelise them with sugar.
- Variation 2: Fine pineapple cornersHere the pineapple is cut a little finer. Place the fruit body horizontally on the board and cut through. Put half of the fruit back upright and quarter.
- Remove the woody fruit kernel from the pineapple quarters. Cut fine slices from the quartered fruit.
- Cover the roasted and buttered toast with boiled ham and fine pineapple slices.Gourmet tip: Briefly fry the pineapple quarters in butter and caramelise them with sugar.
- Now the ham and pineapple toast can be covered with cheese slices. No ham should come out!
- Remove the toast from the oven after about 10 minutes.
- Decoration: Serve the Hawaiitoast with a cocktail cherry.Enjoy your meal!
4. Calories and Nutritional Values at a Glance
5. More delicious Sandwich and Toast RecipesFrench Toast
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Breakfast & Brunch
- Burger Recipes
- Current and New Recipes
- German Food and Recipes from German Kitchen
- Main Courses Recipes
- Quick Meals
OTHER LANGUAGES: German