Tafelspitz Recipe – Prepare Boiled Beef Deliciously
Thomas Sixt is a chef, food photographer and cookbook author.
Here he shares recipes, answers cooking questions and helps with cooking.
Today I present you my chef tafelspitz boiled beef recipe.
The boiled beef or veal is a classic of Austrian and German cuisine.
I would like to show you how the fine cooked meat succeeds optimally in just a few steps.
You need a large pot, a cutting board, a kitchen knife and a pan to cook for yourself.
Please cook the soup with the boiled meat with a slight simmer and the preparation time is approx. 2-2.5 hours.
In the article you will find all the answers to the authentic traditional preparation. I wish you good luck!
Table of Contents
- 1. Recipe Boiled Beef Tafelspitz
- 2. Calories and Nutritional Values
- 3. Boiled Beef Shopping List
- 4. Tips for Original Wiener Tafelspitz
- 5. When is the Tafelspitz Boiled Beef Cooked Ready?
- 6. Sauces for Boiled Beef Tafelspitz
- 7. The Finale: Serve Boiled Beef Ingeniously
- 8. Matching Boiled Beef Tafelspitz Side Dishes
- 9. More ideas
1. Recipe Boiled Beef Tafelspitz
The fine classic of Austrian cuisine. Serve this main course as a family dinner, so you can impress your guests!
Good luck, I look forward to your comment!
Boiled Beef – Tafelspitz
Cooked, photographed and written down by chef Thomas Sixt.
Simple instructions for preparing boiled beef.
|800||g||Tafelspitz, Beef (Hip or tip of the tail of beef or veal)|
|2||Piece||onions (or shallots)|
|3||Piece||glove of garlic|
|100||ml||White wine dry (Optional)|
|2||Msp.||black ground pepper (additional allspice)|
|1||tbs||majoram (plus thyme)|
Prepare the boiled beef ingredients in the kitchen.
Have the butcher prepare the boiled meat for cooking.
Rinse the meat at home under cold running water and pat dry.
Halve the onion and roast in a pan without fat until dark.
You can use small yellow onions or shallots.
Peel and set aside the garlic.
Wash the soup vegetables consisting of carrots, celery, parsley roots and leeks.
Peel the root vegetables and cut into pieces, leave the leek whole or cut into leaves.
Prepare the marrow bones for cooking.
Prepare a bunch of herbs.
Depending on what I find in the garden, it contains thyme, parsley, sage, lovage.
Prepare soup herbs:
Bay leaf, thyme, marjoram, juniper, allspice. cumin and peppercorns.
Place the prepared boiled fillet in a tall saucepan.
Place the vegetables, bouquet garni soup herbs, marrow bones, roasted onion or shallot, garlic and marrow bones in the pot.
Season with salt.
Fill the soup ingredients with cold water and bring to the boil.
-> Optionally add some white wine.
-> Optionally, you can also boil the soup ingredients without the boiled beef and add the meat to the boiling soup first.
Both methods succeed and the difference is not great.
After the first boil, let the soup simmer for about 1.5 hours.
Let your boiled beef soup gently simmer.
Remove the foam that forms on the surface later with a ladle.
The foam, the protein, binds the cloudy matter in the soup.
Rahmspinat und geröstete Bratkartoffeln sind erste Wahl!
Die Zubereitung der passenden Soßen zum Tafelspitz beschreibe ich im Artikel unter Überschrift 6.
Keep boiled fillet warm and think about the side dishes:
I describe the preparation of the right sauces for boiled fillet in the article under heading 6.
Carefully remove the marrow bones with a slotted spoon.
Briefly toast the slices of farmhouse bread.
Put the marrow from the marrow bone on the bread and spread.
Serve sprinkled with salt, pepper and freshly chopped chives.
When is the boiled fillet ready?
–> The meat can be pierced with a meat fork without resistance.
–> Carefully lift the boiled boiled fillet out of the soup.
Slice the cooked meat across the grain.
Cut the boiled fillet into 1 cm thick slices.
Arrange the boiled beef slices with the broth and vegetables.
–> Serve sprinkled with freshly torn horseradish and chives.
The side dishes and sauces are enough! Enjoy your meal!
You can also prepare this dish with a boiled veal. Another option is the veal breast.
If you ever come to Vienna, make a reservation and definitely visit the Plachutta restaurant.
Cooked beef of exceptional quality and a wide variety of cooked pieces of meat are served there in copper dishes.
2. Calories and Nutritional Values
The nutritional values are calculated without side dishes.
3. Boiled Beef Shopping List
Good ingredients are half the battle.
What do you need for this dish for 4 people at least the following ingredients, please buy a piece of organic meat.
- 800 g boiled fillet
The boiled beef is the thin, tapering tip of the tail of beef or veal, bordering on the hip
- 3-5 marrow bones
- 1 bunch of soup vegetables
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 1-2 tomatoes (optional)
- 2 onions or shallots
- 1 bulb of fresh garlic (you only need 3 cloves)
- dry white wine (optional)
- Salt, pepper, allspice, juniper berries, cumin, bay leaf, marjoram , optionally thyme
4. Tips for Original Wiener Tafelspitz
Now it starts at home:
- Take one large unpeeled onion or two medium-sized onions and cut them in half.
- Grab the pan and roast the unpeeled onion halves – without fat . The onion gives the broth a nice color.
- Now you need a big tall pot.
- The ingredients should float.
- Here you boil 5 liters of water with some marrow bones, the fried onions and salt, pepper, garlic cloves, juniper berries, caraway, marjoram and bay leaves.
- Place the fillet of boiled fillet in this boiling broth , turn down the heat a little so that nothing boils over.
- Let everything simmer with the pot open for about 1 hour.
- In the meantime you can wash the vegetables .
- After about 45 minutes, add it to the boiling soup and let everything cook together for another 45 minutes to an hour .
You can alternatively boil vegetables and meat, ie all the ingredients in the pot.
You can take the vegetables out of the soup earlier, otherwise they will become too soft.
Turned around you add the vegetables later 🙂Precise cooking of vegetables in the soup Tip from chef Thomas Sixt
5. When is the Tafelspitz Boiled Beef Cooked Ready?
Pierce the boiled fillet with a thin meat fork.
When the meat gives way slightly and no more red meat juice escapes, the fillet of boiled beef is done.
You can now lift the boiled fillet out of the soup and place it on a plate.
I pour the soup through a fine sieve. Technically, it would be good to use a passing cloth.
I would like to recommend the straining cloth as a purchase for your kitchen.
Passing cloth, be careful, detergent: With a straining cloth you remove all cloudy matter from the broth and you can also use the straining cloth to prepare fine sauces. Do not wash the straining cloth with detergent, but boil it in clear water with vinegar. Then rinse the straining cloth with clear water and use it!Cooking tip from chef Thomas Sixt
Please put the boiled fillet back into the clarified brew. So it remains fine in its consistency.
6. Sauces for Boiled Beef Tafelspitz
The following cold sauces go well with boiled beef:
6.1 Chive Sauce
Put 200 g crème fraîche and 100 g sour cream in a bowl. Add the juice of half a lemon, season with salt and pepper and mix in the freshly chopped chives.
6.2 Cold Egg Sauce – Tartar Sauce
Mix 200 g crème fraîche and 100 g sour cream in a bowl.
Add the juice of half a lemon, season with salt and pepper – refine or supplement with two boiled and chopped eggs.
Please cut or chop the egg yolk and the egg white extra finely so that you get an even result.
You can optionally refine the egg sauce with chopped parsley, capers and pickles, then it is a tartar sauce.
6.3 Apple Horseradish Sauce or Apple Horseradish Sauce
Wash and peel 2-4 apples depending on their size.
Grate this finely with a kitchen grater, season with lemon juice, salt and pepper and mix in fresh horseradish or horseradish or horseradish or horseradish from the jar according to personal taste.
6.4 Cream Horseradish Sauce
Mix 200 g crème fraîche and 100 g sour cream in a bowl.
Add the juice of half a lemon, season with salt and pepper and add freshly torn horseradish or horseradish from the jar to taste.
7. The Finale: Serve Boiled Beef Ingeniously
There are different ways to serve a freshly prepared fillet of boiled beef.
- In Austria, boiled beef is often served in a soup.
- The slices then stay warm and you can eat soup with the meat if you like.
- Serve with finely cleaned and neatly sliced or turned vegetables, which you cook al dente in some boiled beef soup.
- The roasted onion is of course an eye-catcher, but is rarely on the plate.
8. Matching Boiled Beef Tafelspitz Side Dishes
As a supplement, the sauces presented in the article have proven themselves.
In Germany, boiled beef is sometimes served with Hollandaise sauce.
Personally, I prefer to stick with the classic Viennese side dishes of horseradish and chive sauce.
9. More ideas
Comments, Cooking Questions and Answers
Below you can write to me directly.
Please don't forget the star rating on the recipe, 5 stars means you liked it!