Grandma’s Szeged Goulash recipe brings back good memories. My grandmother prepared the hearty goulash with sauerkraut and pork.
That’s how I know this classic dish of the bourgeois cuisine: sour cream must definitely always be in the sauce. When serving, put a small icing on the goulash, then decorate with paprika and parsley. The goulash is wonderful when finished.
Discover a new favourite dish, cook your loved ones a great meal and enjoy it!
- 1. Simply Cook Classic Szegedin Goulash with Pork Meat
- 2. Szegedin Goulash with Beef
- 3. Szegedin Goulash with Chicken, so goes a quick Goulash
- 4. Szegedin Goulash Recipe and Goulash Cooking Video
- 5. Calories Szegedin "Szegediner" Goulash, the Nutritional Values in Detail without Side Dishes
- 6. Other Goulash Recipes
1. Simply Cook Classic Szegedin Goulash with Pork Meat
For the classic Szeged goulash you need meat from the shoulder of a pig. Let the butcher prepare the meat for you and cut it into 3 cm cubes. The cooking time is 80-90 minutes. Boiled potatoes or caraway potatoes or parsley potatoes are recommended as side dishes.
2. Szegedin Goulash with Beef
For the Szegedin goulash with beef you need stew beef meat in Austria is named “Rinderwade (Wadschinken). It is an excellent and lean meat from the topside. Let the butcher cut the meat, cubes of about 3 cm are ideal. The cooking time is about 1.5 hours. As side dishes, boiled potatoes or caraway potatoes or parsley potatoes are the first choice, alternatively mashed potatoes, finger noodles or potato gratin.
Serve as a side dish of creamy potato gratin with some truffle oil with Szegedin goulash – that’s fantastic!
3. Szegedin Goulash with Chicken, so goes a quick Goulash
This goulash you conjure in about 45 minutes on the table. Prepare the goulash without meat. When you are satisfied with the goulash juice and the consistency of the sauerkraut, place the chicken breast pieces cut into 3 cm cubes in the goulash. Stir the goulash, bring to the boil and let it simmer until the poultry meat is cooked. As a side dish I recommend parsley potatoes or butter potatoes with thyme.
4. Szegedin Goulash Recipe and Goulash Cooking Video
My following recipe with all three presented meat types to cook yourself. I wish you every success and look forward to receiving your feedback via the comment function.
- 100 g onions yellow or white onion
- 1 tsp. sunflower oil or lard from pork
- 2 tbsp paprika spice sweet
- 800 g meat from shoulder of pork alternatively beef goulash meat or chicken breast
- 800 ml vegetable broth
- 500 g Sauerkraut - Pickled Cabbage wash on a sieve with cold water
- 4 pinches salt
- 4 pinches black pepper
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
- 1 pc garlic finely diced
- 1 tsp. caraway - cumin
- 2 tsp bay leaves
- 1-2 tsp. cornflour
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- Peel and finely dice the onion, sweat in a pot with oil or lard (Grandma's tip) until glassy.
- Sprinkle in the sweet paprika and stir once.
- Add the meat (exception chicken see article point 3.).
- Immediately deglaze with the broth, add the sauerkraut and stir.
- Add the finely chopped garlic.
- Add the spices and, depending on the type of meat, cook the goulash for 45-90 minutes with the lid on a moderate heat. Add liquid as required.
- Mix the starch with a little water. Bring Szegediner goulash to the boil, stir in sour cream quickly, simmer and bind the goulash to taste with the mixed cornflour. I always add a little starch water first, after boiling I can see if the binding is sufficient. Let the goulash simmer for another 10 minutes so that the starch taste evaporates.
- Flavour the Szegedin goulash with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper, remove the bay leaf and serve with side dishes.
5. Calories Szegedin "Szegediner" Goulash, the Nutritional Values in Detail without Side Dishes
6. Other Goulash RecipesAll German and Austria Goulash Recipes pork goulash
venison in pepper cream sauce