Here my recipe Swabian Potato Salad – the Swabian potato salad is quite similar to the Bavarian potato salad.
A little more mustard in the recipe makes the salad spicier. Parsley and chives can be used as herbs.
Everything else is quickly too much for the down-to-earth Swabian. Wish you good luck! Please share this post on Facebook, thank you!
- 1. Which Potato variety to use for Swabian Potato Salad?
- 2. Original Swabian Potato Salad
- 3. Swabian Potato Salad is sloppy!
- 4. Swabian Potato Salad and Onions, be careful
- 5. Swabian Potato Salad with Cucumber
- 6. Other Recipes for Potato Salad
- 7. Recipe
- 8. Swabian Potato Salad Tips
- 9. Calories (kcal) of Swabian Potato Salad, the Nutritional Informations
1. Which Potato variety to use for Swabian Potato Salad?
What applies to Swabian potato salad also applies to other potato salads or potato salads. The right potato varieties are shape-retaining, waxy (also called “fat cooking”) or predominantly waxy potato varieties such as: Agria, Bamberger croissants, Hansa, Linda, Marabel, Sieglinde, Ditta, Cilena, Nicola, Selma.
2. Original Swabian Potato Salad
The Swabian loves potato salad with string sausage, the string sausage is nothing different than a Viennese sausage or a Frankfurter. While in other regions the potato salad and the hot sausage are served on a flat plate, the Swabians do it quite differently. The Swabian potato salad comes in a soup plate, the sausage is placed on top and the whole thing is then additionally sprinkled with soup. Optically this court comes along already a bisserl blatantly and is habituation-needy for outsiders. But the Kombi has it all, tastes very good and corresponds to a simple and home-style cuisine.
3. Swabian Potato Salad is sloppy!
I know Swabian potato salad from Esslingen and Leonberg, where the salad was always prepared with medium-hot mustard. The potato slices may still be visible. The salad is nevertheless kept relatively liquid and therefore has a slightly slotty consistency.
4. Swabian Potato Salad and Onions, be careful
The onion info is included with every potato salad recipe. Unfortunately, I have too often got a fermenting potato salad on the table when I was on the road. The potato salad starts to ferment when it is prepared with raw goibbels and stops. For onions in potato salad there are only three varieties:
Just before serving, cut the onions fresh and mix them with the potato salad. Eat everything promptly – the shelf life of potato salad is limited (even if stored in a cool place).
Blanch the onion cubes briefly, then mix into the salad, cooled down – keep cool for approx. one day.
Marinate the onion cubes in some vinegar and sugar for approx. 10 minutes and then mix in without the marinade – keep cool for approx. one day.
5. Swabian Potato Salad with Cucumber
The Swabian likes to add pickled gherkins to his potato salad. Cornichons are out of the question, it must be an original vinegar pickle guy from Hengstenberg in Esslingen! By the way, some cucumber water is also added to the potato salad, the Swabian is simply clever and economical!
6. Other Recipes for Potato Salad
potato salad with mustard, Bavarian potato salad from Munich, potato salad with yogurt, easy potato salad, classic potato salad, potato salad with bacon, potato salad with mayonnaise, Potato Salad with Lamb’s Lettuce and Porcini Mushrooms in Strudel Dough, Viennese Potato Salad.
- 250 g potatoes
- 1 piece onion
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 150 ml vegetable broth
- 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. mustard I take the original Hengstenberg Mustard "mittelscharf"
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 pinches black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. gherkin water
- 1/2 Bund parsley
- Cook the raw and unpeeled potatoes in salted water until soft, drain, let steam out and peel.
- Let the potatoes briefly cool lukewarm, then cut into thin slices and place in a bowl.
- Cut the onion in half, peel and cut into fine cubes. Sweat onion cubes in sunflower oil until colourless, add broth and bring to the boil. Remove quickly from heat. The onions should still be firm.
- Add vinegar, mustard, oil, salt, pepper and sugar to the potatoes, pour in the stock, stir and marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- Before serving, season the Swabian potato salad again with salt and pepper, add a little cucumber water from the glass and mix in freshly chopped parsley.