My new recipe Strawberry Strudel gives you a safe guide to baking strudel. I’ll show you how to prepare strawberry strudel step by step here. You will get lots of tips and ideas for strudel variations with strudel dough or puff pastry.
The questions: “What should I pay special attention to when baking strawberry strudel?” and “What goes well with strawberry strudel” are answered here.
I wish you all the best with strudel baking. I am looking forward to your comments and questions. Please share this recipe on Facebook!
1. Strawberry Strudel with Puff Pastry
The strawberry strudel with puff pastry is very easy to make. You can find ready-made puff pastry in the refrigerated shelf or buy frozen puff pastry. The finished puff pastry is even used in star gastronomy and rarely made by yourself. I personally prefer the puff pastry from the refrigerated shelf, the dough rolls can be processed directly.
1.1 Puff Pastry Baking Tips
Puff pastry generally requires a high temperature when baking. The oven must be preheated to approx. 220 °C. Only when this high temperature has been reached should the puff pastry strudel or puff pastry in general be placed in the oven.
The explanation for the high temperature: The high temperature is needed so that the fat does not separate from the dough. The puff pastry gets its flaking property from the fat layers in the dough, which are produced during the puff pastry production by the so-called touring. A cold butter plate is wrapped in a flour dough, then folded several times and rolled out accordingly. The result is a dough with flour and a layer of fat which, when baked properly, develops the familiar leafy layers.
1.2 Puff Pastry Baking Time
The strawberry strudel with puff pastry has a baking tPuff Pastry only Outside!ime of approx. 15-20 minutes. The dough is only on the outside because wrapping the dough makes no sense. The wrapped puff pastry would become very doughy inside and not crispy.
1.3 Puff Pastry only Outside!
With my strawberry strudel the dough is only on the outside. It is important that the dough seam of the strudel lies on the baking tray at the end. The weight of the strudel keeps it in shape. Additional roughening of the dough before pressing it together helps to keep the dough seam together. I illustrate this graphically here:
2. Strawberry Strudel with Strudel Dough
I also like to use the finished strudel dough here, which is practical and reduces the preparation time of the strudel by more than half. Nevertheless, I present a strudel dough recipe in the recipe. When using strudel dough, there are two variations of “wrapping”.
2.1 Strudel Dough only on the Outside, several Layers, becomes crispy Leafy
The whole strudel dough is spread with melted butter, then sprinkled with sugar. The filling (apples at the apple strudel, here strawberries) is placed in a sausage and then completely wrapped. The dough leaves a nice leaf during baking because butter and sugar separate the dough just as beautifully. Here is the sketch:
2.2 Strudel Dough inside and outside, classic as with Grandma, inside doughy
The dough is spread with butter, sprinkled with sugar and then the filling is spread over the entire dough surface (without edges). The strudel is then rolled up, the strudel seam should lie down again so that the strudel holds. Now dough is inside and outside, this is the typical granny strudel. In this variant, there are pieces of dough inside, not everyone likes that, but very often this is the classic way of preparing strudel, also for apple strudel. Here the graphic:
2.3 Baking Time Strudel with Strudel Dough
When using strudel dough, the baking time depends on the thickness of the strudel and which wrapping variant you choose. If the dough is inside, then the baking time is definitely longer so that the dough can cook. If the dough is only on the outside, then the cooking time is shorter, yet crispy and the filling may still have a bite. The cooking time is between 20 and 40 minutes, I always start at 210 °C preheated and reduce after inserting the strudel to about 185 °C hot air.
3. Strudel Filling, what to consider
Apples and berries in particular contain a relatively large amount of water, which is why, in addition to the fruits, some roasted breadcrumbs and almonds are always needed for filling. The almonds are for the taste, the crumbs for the taste on the one hand, for the binding of liquid on the other hand. In addition, the fruits should be cut finely so that a good binding is achieved by adding the breadcrumbs.
4. Breadcrumbs to bind the Strudel Filling
For the crumbs, fine baker’s breadcrumbs are roasted in a pan without fat, then refined with sugar and lightly caramelised. After cooling, the roasted crumbs can be added to the strudel filling. Please be careful when roasting crumbs! In the beginning nothing happens for a long time, but then it happens very quickly. The crumbs must be “stirred” well so that they brown evenly and do not burn. Tip: The strawberry strudel always tolerates a little more breadcrumbs, as the red berries are always quite juicy.
5. What matches the Strawberry Strudel?
Strawberry strudel with pudding is a well-known and popular variation, and you can also serve strawberry ice cream or vanilla ice cream with it. Very nice is a variant with vanilla mirror and decoration. This is ideal if you serve the Studel as a dessert! I show this variation at the apple strudel with muesli.
6. Recipe Strawberry Strudel
- 250 g flour
- 100 ml water lauwarm
- 1 tbs sun flower oil
- 2 pinch salt
- 1 tbs Butter fluid
- 1 pc strudel dough sheets
- 1 pc puff pastry
- 250 g strawberries
- 5 tbs roasted almond flakes
- 5 tbs roasted breadcrumbs
- 2 tbs barbarie duck breast
- 150 g Butter for coating, inside and outside
- vanilla pudding
- mint leaves
- Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl and add all the ingredients for the strudel dough except for the butter. Mix for 8-10 minutes with the kneading hooks of the hand mixer to a smooth, elastic dough. Form the dough into a ball and spread with butter. Cut a cross with a sharp knife and wrap the dough in cling film and let it rest at room temperature for 2 hours. Roll out the dough on a floured, large cloth, then put the back of your hand under the pond and pull out the dough thinly.
- You can also use puff pastry or ready-made strudel pastry.
- Wash and dry the strawberries, remove the green and cut into 5 mm thick slices. Place the strawberries in a bowl and mix with the almond flakes, breadcrumbs and sugar.
- Spread the strudel dough on a cloth, spread with liquid butter and sprinkle with sugar. Place the filling on top according to taste (see article on variations and doughs), leaving out the edges of the dough generously. Roll up the strudel with the help of the cloth and place it on the baking tray with baking paper with the seam facing downwards. Coat the strudel generously with liquid butter.
- With puff pastry, an additional roughening of the dough at the seam would be necessary. The puff pastry should also be squeezed well with your fingers.
- Put the strudel in the preheated oven, strudel dough 210°C, puff pastry 220°C. In the strudel dough version, reduce the oven temperature immediately to 190-200°C for the puff pastry, maintain the high temperature for half the baking time, then, depending on the browning of the strudel, reduce to 180°C if necessary.
- Depending on the thickness of the strudel, the baking time of the strudel is 18 minutes for strudels with a diameter of approx. 5 - 7 cm and up to 40 minutes for strudels with a diameter of 8 - 12 cm.
- Remove the baked strudel from the oven and allow to cool lukewarm for a while. Carefully portion and arrange the strudel with an electric knife or a bread knife.
7. Calories and nutritional values
8. Other Recipe Ideas for Strawberries
Want to see other recipes? Discover more strawberry recipes in my cookblog.