My Strawberry Jam recipe will please you. Everyone loves the aromatic red fruits.
When the sun shines, when the strawberry fields invite you to pick them yourself, then the best time to get the sun in your glass is for an extension of the oh too short strawberry time.
So I set off and got the red berries straight from the field to show you how to cook jam.
Well, it’s true, I also wanted a delicious spread of bread. I succeeded in doing that and how, that’s what I show you here.
It follows my step by step instruction with many photos. I wish you good luck!
1. Preparing Strawberry Jam – Shopping and Preparation
It is so simple and today there are very few ingredients…
1.1 Ingredients and Shopping List
- freshly picked strawberries
- fresh apples
- white, dry wine
- vanilla beans
- Gelling sugar 2 : 1 (2 parts fruit – 1 part sugar)
Please make sure that you have the following things for the preparation in the kitchen:
- Screw glasses for boiling down
- large saucepan
- sharp knife
- wooden spoon
- vinegar essence or other strongly acidic vinegar
- clean kitchen towels
- hand blender
1.2 Preparation and Cleanliness
Hygiene during preparation is the be-all and end-all. Our fruit preparation has a shelf life of one year. After half a year, the colour fades and the jam tends to turn grey-brown and also loses its aroma slightly.
Experience shows that the jars are usually emptied after a few weeks as if by magic.
My tip: Don’t cook too much strawberry jam, because it only lasts about half a year. If you love strawberry jam, make it out of frozen fruits out of season, that works too 🙂
- I clean my jam jars thoroughly before filling.
- In addition, I use a strong vinegar, from which I put 2-3 tablespoons into the empty jars and screw down the lid. Then I shake the glasses, so that the acid is distributed everywhere inside. Then I open the glass again and pour the rest away from the vinegar.
- When filling the jars with the hot finished jam, something goes wrong and stains the edge and the jar. This I wipe with a new kitchen cloth or wet kitchen paper quickly clean again.
My recommendation: Use a beak cup (a 1 l jug) to fill the glasses, then you will hit more accurately and hardly spill anything.
2. Additional Success Tips for Strawberry Jam
- Please use apples, very finely chopped or even grated. Apples contain pectin and help you to bind them.
- I love a beautiful dry white wine in my strawberry jam. I have used this delicacy here: Nina Viognier 2017, poderelapace.
- Otherwise I recommend also a great dry Prosecco – please pay attention to good quality!
- I use more preserving sugar than is indicated on the sugar package.
- When processing strawberries, I make a gelling test during cooking: Put the jam on a plate with a tablespoon to check its consistency and see whether it fits or whether more gelling sugar is needed.
3. Strawberry Jam Recipe
Now we can get started, I’m looking forward to it. This will be a lot of fun! Following many step by step photos for the preparation of your strawberry jam…
- 1,5 kg strawberries
- 1 kg jam sugar I prefer to take jam sugar 2:1
- 3 pc apple
- 2 pc vanilla beans
- 150 ml white wine dry
- Buy the berries fresh from the market or go to the field and pick them yourself.
- Prepare the ingredients and cooking utensils.
- Wash the berries well under running water, then remove the green and halve depending on the size.
- Weigh the strawberries to determine the right amount of preserving sugar.
- Use gelling sugar 2:1: 1.5 kg strawberries and 1.0-1.3 kg gelling sugar. I think most Internet recipes are wrong. The berries contain a lot of water and need a lot of preserving sugar!
- Cut the peeled apples into small pieces.
- Scrape out the vanilla pod. Add the pod and pulp to the fruit.
- Put the berries with apple pieces, vanilla pod and pulp, jam sugar and white wine into the pot.
- Bring the ingredients to the boil, stirring constantly on the bottom with a spatula so that the preparation does not burn.
- Cook the strawberry jam for five minutes.
- Remove the vanilla pod and mix the fruits with a hand blender.
- Carry out the gelling test, put some strawberry jam on a small plate and let cool. You can pull through the fruit preparation with a spoon or your finger, if the jam "stops" the firmness is good. Otherwise add more preserving sugar, test again and then prepare for bottling.
- Wash screw glasses and lid under hot running water. Fill glass by glass with vinegar essence, shake and disinfect. You can pour the vinegar from glass to glass!
- Make the jars ready for filling with lids.
- Bring the strawberry jam to the boil and fill the jars with a measuring cup or beaker. Caution hot!
- The glasses quickly close to form a vacuum.
- Fill all glasses and leave.
- The fine strawberry jam is now ready. From the basket to the basket! Enjoy your meal!
- Enjoy a freshly prepared jam bread right away...
4. Calories and Nutritional Values
5. Further suitable Recommendationsstrawberry tart
strawberry cake simple
strawberry creamy cake
strawberry puff pastry
strawberry risotto We are looking forward to more spreads.... apricot jam without preserving sugar
apricot jam with preserving sugar
berry fruit jam without preserving sugar