In this post I show you my Steak au Gratin Recipe. A gratinated steak is a fine and tasty affair and I would be happy if you try it.
The steak gets an additional taste finish by baking with various ingredients. You can see how this goes step by step in the cooking video steak au gratin.
Discover all professional chef tips for baked steaks 🙂
I wish you all the best!
- 1. Steak with Herb Crust
- 2. Herb Crust Recipe
- 3. Steak Pine Nut Crust Recipe
- 4. Steak Pistachio Crust Recipe
- 5. Gluten-free Herbal Crust
- 6. Steak au Gratin with Cheese
- 7. Steak with Feta Cheese, Olives and Tomatoes au Gratin
- 8. Pork Steak with fresh Tomatoes, Pine Nuts and Basil
- 9. Steak Cooking Time
- 10. Steak au Gratin, a crazy Idea
- 11. Video Steak with Crust au Gratin
- 12. Recipe Steak with Crust au Gratin
- 13. Calories steak au gratin, the nutritional values at a glance
1. Steak with Herb Crust
You can bake a beef fillet steak, a pork fillet steak, a saddle of lamb or even thick chops with a herb crust. The meat must first be put in the pan and fried on both sides. Your oven stage grill should be preheated at 250°C. When the steak has been fried on both sides for about 2 minutes (depending on the desired cooking degree and the thickness of the steaks!), place the meat on a baking tray and cover it conscientiously about half a centimetre thick with the prepared herb crust. My advice: The herb crust should be rather soft, then it can be spread better and more evenly on the meat.
2. Herb Crust Recipe
For the steak herb crust you need 120 g soft butter, 40 g breadcrumbs, a teaspoon of thyme, a teaspoon of rosemary, finely grated garlic from a garlic clove, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3 pinches of pepper to taste or according to my quantities. You can quickly mix the ingredients for the herb crust mixture with the hand mixer or knead them with your hands.
Fillet steak with herb crust, an excellent dish for guests!
3. Steak Pine Nut Crust Recipe
I have seen and tried many recipes, if you want pine nuts in your crust, add them to the herb crust in the above recipe. I like the herb crusts basically without egg, the breadcrumbs bind the herb crust sufficiently. The recipe for the pine nut crust: 120 g soft butter, 40 g breadcrumbs, to taste or according to my quantities: 80 g coarsely chopped pine nut, a teaspoon of finely chopped parsley, finely grated garlic from a clove of garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3 pinches of pepper.
Fillet of beef with pine nut crust, it tastes like summer and holidays!
Cooks call the herb crust or the mass for baking – gratinating mass
4. Steak Pistachio Crust Recipe
It’s a classic for the saddle of lamb! You can prepare the mass for the pistachio crust with butter or olive oil, you need for it: 120 g soft butter or 120 g olive oil, 40-60 g breadcrumbs, according to taste or according to my quantities: 80 g coarsely chopped pistachios, finely grated garlic from a garlic clove, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3 pinches of pepper.
Saddle of lamb with pistachio crust, this is an ideal combination for Easter!
5. Gluten-free Herbal Crust
For a gluten-free herb crust, use gluten-free breadcrumbs. You can use corn flour instead of flour to bind the herb crust. Coarse corn flour is rather unsuitable because it becomes very hard. Finely ground corn flour is better.
6. Steak au Gratin with Cheese
For me, this variant is only suitable for turkey steaks or pork steaks or chops. I have already read pork steak cutlet on various menus, it is then about a 1.5 cm thick cutlet steak.
Cheese to bake over steak – Gruyère and Raclette cheese are my first choice!
The most common types of cheese such as Emmental, Gouda or mountain cheese are suitable. The baked cheese steak with a raclette cheese and a Gruyère is very ingenious. The Swiss already know why they like to eat this cheese au gratin! I rather use hard cheeses, mozzarella is too watery for me and it also likes to run out, so I don’t recommend it.
7. Steak with Feta Cheese, Olives and Tomatoes au Gratin
I always want to seduce you to try it out and simply give you good suggestions. Those who like Greek cuisine will be happy with the steak, baked with feta cheese, dried tomatoes and herbs. I like to serve it with tomatoes and raw onions, if you want to make it with the herbs, a wild garlic pesto or a basil pesto is enough in addition.
8. Pork Steak with fresh Tomatoes, Pine Nuts and Basil
Another variation to the steak is gratinated with cheese, fresh tomatoes, pine nuts and basil.
9. Steak Cooking Time
Depending on the size and thickness of the steak or piece of meat and the desired cooking degree, you must adjust the cooking time in the pan. A thin fillet of beef steak that is to be served “medium” is placed in the pan for a very short time and then cooked covered with herb crust, under the grill, to the desired cooking degree.
10. Steak au Gratin, a crazy Idea
As part of a cooperation, I developed the idea of cooking with sweets. The result was a herb crust with bimenthol sweets and a jus with black elderberry sweets. You can find the recipe and the video below, it’s a little crazy, but in the days of molecular cuisine I simply gave myself a crazy idea!
11. Video Steak with Crust au Gratin
12. Recipe Steak with Crust au Gratin
- 5 pc black elderberry sweets
- 2 glass veal stock How to make veal stock, veal sauce, veal jus
- 25 g dark chocolate
- 50 g Butter
- 4 slices fillet of beef
- 1 tbsp. sunflower oil
- 4 tbsp. breadcrumbs you can also use corn flour (gluten-free)
- 1 tbsp. rosemary fresh or dried
- 1 tbsp. common thyme fresh or dried
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 pc Bimenthol candies
- 4 pinch Pepper red
- 1 pc Zucchini
- 4 pc shallots
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 glass artichokes pickled in oil
- 20 pc black and green olives
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Crush the black elderberry sweets in a mortar, boil down with the veal stock and the dark chocolate in a saucepan and reduce to jus. Mix the jus with cold butter and prepare for serving.
- Brown the slices of fillet of beef on all sides over high heat with the sunflower oil, place on a cold baking tray and season with salt and pepper. Mix the breadcrumbs with rosemary, thyme, olive oil and bimenthol sweets finely chopped in a mortar and finish with salt, pepper and olive oil to a herb crust.
- Preheat oven to 220 °C and grill level. Place the quartered and cleaned peppers, zucchini in 5 mm slices and peeled and octagonal shallots on a baking tray. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and sprinkle with a little olive oil. Cook the vegetables in the oven for approx. 15 minutes, add the drained artichokes and olives and leave the tray on the lowest shelf in the oven.
- Cover the beef fillet slices with the herb crust about 5 mm thick and bake under the grill for about 10 minutes until light brown. Arrange the vegetables, bring to the boil and add the sauce, add the fillet of beef to the vegetables and serve quickly.