My appetizer recipe Crispy Prawns for Christmas I will show you today. Looking for a great starter for Christmas Eve? Then you’ve come to the right place!
Here are the two varieties of appetizer: Crispy prawns in Austrian or Bavarian Filo dough :-). The preparation time is less than 40 minutes. There is also a tip for a vegan or vegetarian version of this Christmas starter. After all, we want to make everyone happy on hypocrisy night…
Read the article to find out all the tips for relaxed cooking at Christmas from professional chefs.
1. Crispy Shrimps in a Dough Coat
In most supermarkets you can buy Filo pastry ready to go. What is Austrian Filo pastry? Bavarian Filo dough? I answer this question quickly: It is strudel dough… That makes shopping easier! You can prepare the crispy shrimps with filo dough or strudel dough. Use raw shrimps! You can recognize the cooked shrimps by their red colour. They are only second choice. Wrapping shrimps in dough is the same as I explain a paragraph further on the tofu. Maybe I can seduce you to tofu without antibiotics?
2. Vegetarian Starter for Christmas
In the introduction I promised you a vegetarian or vegan variant of this starter. Use smoked tufo instead of shrimps or prawns. I like the strong smoked tofu better than normal tofu. Smoked tofu is such a wonderful thing. The smoked tofu reminds me of my grandfather’s smoking chamber: cohabitated black, smelling like beech, taste explosion. Smoked tofu in filo pastry really delicious? Cut smoked tofu french fries from the whole piece. Place the tofu fries in some cornflour, then in sweet and sour chili sauce. Yes, really, I mean this devil stuff from the China-Shop! Sweet-sour together with smoked taste is a taste-bomb! Now just wrap it in the dough. That’s a bit of a mess in good German named “Kleckserei”, but it tastes great!
3. Christmas Appetizers Salad
Crispy tofu and crispy prawns are my favourite dishes on a Christmas salad. I use fennel, orange fillets, red cabbage, carrot strips and pomegranate seeds to match the season. Chef’s tip: Cut or plane the ingredients relatively finely, this gives the perfect mouthfeel at the end. 🙂 Please do not plane pomegranate seeds, that would be a massacre! Again from the front: plane fennel and red cabbage finely. Prepare the carrot strips with the kitchen grater or with the economy peels. Cut the pomegranate open and soak the tasty red seeds in cold water. There are also the orange fillets: I will show you how to prepare the orange fillets in the following videos:
4. Christmas Salad Dressing and Wasabi-Dip-Kick
My tips for the salad dressing for Christmas and the extended taste kick:
4.1 Christmas Salad Dressing
Use orange juice as a base for your salad dressing. When preparing the orange fillets, there is always some orange juice left over. Orange juice + white wine vinegar + sugar + salt + pepper and olive oil makes a delicious Christmas salad dressing!
4.2 Wasabi Kick Dip
Christmas and Hypocrisy Night is not a boring sausage dinner this year! The Wasabi Dip bangs the taste buds into the universe. Mix the Wasabi paste with some mayonnaise and the Wasabi Dip is ready. Better …vegan? Just use soy cream instead of mayo. Please don’t forget salt, pepper and lemon juice!
5. Recipes for two Christmas Appetizers
Everything wonderful, two starters in one recipe… let yourself be inspired and conjure up a great starter on the Christmas table. Summary: Vegan with tofu, who likes to eat the little animals with prawns… Good luck!
- 2 pc oranges Prepare orange fillets and juice for dressing
- 1/4 pc Red cabbage finely chopped planed!
- 2 pc Chicory
- 2 pc carrots
- 1 pc fennel bulb
- 1 pc pomegranate You need only the seeds!
- 50-80 ml white vine vinegar
- salt I use Ursalz or Himalaya salt
- brown sugar
- olive oil
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 16 pc prawns or 1 pack smoked tufo
- 4 EL sweet chili sauce
- 1 pack Strudel-Pastry oder Filo-Pastry
- 300 ml rapeseed oil for frying
- 1 tbsp Mayonnaise or Soy Cream+Salt+Pepper+Zironen Juice
- 1/2 tsp wasabi paste
- Peel the oranges and prepare the orange fillets according to the video instructions. Collect the juice in a bowl.
- Prepare the vegetables according to the instructions in the article, cut or plane them into small pieces and add them to the orange juice. Remove the leaves from the chicory. Cut the pomegranate in half, dip in cold water and pluck the pomegranate seeds. Prepare the chicory and pomegranate seeds for later serving.
- Marinate the winter salad with salt, pepper, sugar, vinegar and olive oil to taste.
- Mix some starch with a little cold water. Clean the prawns and remove the intestines. Alternatively, cut the tofu into chips. Spread out the filo or strudel dough and cut 9x9 cm squares. Turn shrimps and tofu into cornflour, then place in the sweet chili sauce, then wrap individual tofu fries or shrimps in the dough. Brush the edges of the dough with corn starch water and close the rolls tightly.
- Mix wasabi dip. Prepare cold plates. Apply Wasabi Dip to the plates with a brush. Place the salad on a sieve and arrange in the middle of the plates. Marinate the chicory and add it in a star shape. Fry shrimp rolls or tofu rolls in hot oil until crispy light brown and place on the plate in a star shape. Decorate with the pomegranate seeds and serve quickly.
6. Christmas Menu matching this StarterMain Courses:
Crispy fried zander with red wine risotto and oranges
Saffron risotto with sole rolls or plaice rolls
Vegan saffron risotto Desserts:
Vegan chocolate mousse - Note: Flavour for Christmas with gingerbread spice
Apple and gingerbread strudel