OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Today I’ll show you a simple recipe for spring rolls. I like to prepare spring rolls with strudel dough, the dough is very similar to the traditional spring roll dough and is ready to eat everywhere.
This also has a practical component, you can prepare the spring rolls yourself quickly and easily. This article gives you an overview of how to prepare spring rolls and in the spring rolls spring rolls video I show you the preparation step by step.
You can find the recipe for spring rolls at the end of this page, I have designed it minimalistic, you get by with 6 ingredients. I wish you every success and would be happy if you share the article with your friends!
- 1. Spring Rolls, a short Definition
- 2. Spring Roller Dough Recipe Original
- 3. Spring Roll Dough vegan, Recipe without Egg
- 4. Spring Roll Dough Recipe with Egg
- 5. Filling for Spring Rolls
- 6. Ingredients for the traditional Spring Roll Filling
- 7. Preparation of the traditional Spring Roll Filling
- 8. Preparing simple Spring Rolls, the quick Variant
- 9. Prepare Spring Rolls in the Oven
- 10. Video Preparing Spring Rolls – easy Recipe by Thomas Sixt
- 11. Recipe Spring Rolls
- 12. Calories (kcal) Spring Rolls
1. Spring Rolls, a short Definition
The spring roll comes from Asian cuisine, especially from Vietnamese and South Chinese cuisine. It consists of wafer-thin dough with various fillings. In China, the spring rolls are fried in a wok, the unfried version (prepared with rice dough leaves) is called the lucky roll. Various variations can be found in China, Thailand, Vietnam and Japan. In China, the spring roll belongs to the traditional New Year celebration (Qing Ming). The festival celebrates the beginning of spring and at the same time commemorates the ancestors and the dead. The spring roll symbolizes the silkworm (new life) that hatches at that time. The ingredients of the spring rolls were originally vegetable offerings. The traditional Chinese spring roll filling consists of soy or mung bean sprouts, finely chopped vegetables such as white cabbage, carrots, onions, mushrooms, a little meat and glass noodles. The filling is steamed with garlic and spices and seasoned with soy sauce. When cold, the filling is wrapped in the spring roll dough and fried or baked over high heat. The thinner spring rolls from Thailand are called poh pia tod.
Spring rolls prepared with strudel dough, the minced meat rolls are Asian tasted and simply succeed!
2. Spring Roller Dough Recipe Original
As already written in the first paragraph, I like to use strudel dough, please prepare the filling and process the strudel dough quickly so that the dough remains elastic during processing and does not break. Take the strudel dough out of the packaging just before use, otherwise the strudel dough will dry out. Here is the promised traditional original recipe for spring roll dough:
3. Spring Roll Dough vegan, Recipe without Egg
For the traditional spring roll dough you need 250 g flour and 125 g water as well as a pinch of salt. Stir the dough until it is quite liquid and let it rest for about an hour covered. Then bake out very thin pancakes and let them cool down. It is best to use a coated pan or a crepe pan that is already running well. You can prepare the filling during the dough resting period. Seal the spring rolls with a flour-water mixture. Mix one part flour (1 teaspoon) with 3 parts water (3 teaspoons), brush the corresponding areas, then roll up the spring rolls.
4. Spring Roll Dough Recipe with Egg
Mix 200 grams flour, 150 millilitres water, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon salt and let rest for 15 minutes. Fry thin, colourless pancakes and allow to cool to fill.
I like to serve spring rolls as finger food or as main course with steamed beans and vegetables!
5. Filling for Spring Rolls
Here I show a short and concise traditional recipe for spring roll filling. This is already connected with some effort and buying ingredients. Below you’ll find my simple recipe with only six ingredients, all of which you can buy at the supermarket.
6. Ingredients for the traditional Spring Roll Filling
150 g chicken or pork meat cut into fine strips (or minced meat), one tablespoon of corn starch for binding, 20-30 g mushrooms (shiitake also called Tung Ku mushrooms or Mu-Err mushrooms), 100 g white cabbage strips or soy sprouts, 50 g bamboo sprouts cut into strips, a small leek stick. For frying 1-2 tablespoons peanut oil. Season with a little garlic, 1 tablespoon sugar, a pinch of salt, 1-2 teaspoons dark soy sauce, 2 tablespoons chicken stock, 1-2 tablespoons sake and traditionally with glutamate.
You can get creative with the spring roll filling!
7. Preparation of the traditional Spring Roll Filling
Mix the meat with the corn starch and marinate for 5 minutes. Then fry all the ingredients in a pan or in a wok at high heat. Due to the amount of ingredients, the frying quickly turns into steaming, the spices and aromatics are added and there should be little or no liquid left. Let the filling cool on a sheet and later wrap in the spring roll dough. Mix the meat with the corn starch and marinate for 5 minutes. Then fry all the ingredients in a pan or in a wok at high heat. Due to the amount of ingredients, the frying quickly turns into steaming, the spices and aromatics are added and there should be little or no liquid left. Let the filling cool on a tray and wrap in the spring roll dough later.
8. Preparing simple Spring Rolls, the quick Variant
For traditional spring rolls you need many exotic ingredients that you don’t use that often. So I’ve prepared a simple recipe for spring rolls, you’ll like it, it’s made of few ingredients and it’s very easy to make. Just watch my cooking video.
9. Prepare Spring Rolls in the Oven
My spring rolls are prepared in the oven. The strudel dough spring rolls are brushed with oil and then cooked in the preheated oven at 200°C hot air. This saves time, fat and does not smell in the kitchen.
10. Video Preparing Spring Rolls – easy Recipe by Thomas Sixt
In the video I show you the preparation of my simple spring rolls step by step. I would be happy if you try it out and develop your own variations.
11. Recipe Spring Rolls
The recipe was created with the idea of using as few ingredients as possible. In the simplest case these are six ingredients. You can add as many spices and garlic as you like, a seven-spice powder and chilli are pleasantly noticeable in the filling. Let yourself be inspired and test for yourself, try and refine!
- 200 g white cabbage
- 200 g fresh minced pork meat
- some sun flower oil
- 1/2 Bund coriander cabbage fresh
- 4 tbs soy sauce
- 100 g strudel dough sheets
- Preheat the oven to 200°C hot air.
- Cut the white cabbage into fine slices with the slicer and sauté vigorously in a pan with the minced meat and some sunflower oil.
- Season the cooked filling with the coriander and the soy sauce and allow to cool.
- Brush one layer of strudel dough with oil and place another layer of strudel dough on top.
- Brush the top layer of strudel dough with oil and cut out squares that fold into triangles.
- Fill the squares with the filling (may also be lukewarm) and close. Fold in the edges and brush the spring roll corners well with oil from both sides. Bake the spring roll corners on baking paper in the oven for approx. 6-10 minutes until crispy brown and arrange.
12. Calories (kcal) Spring Rolls
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Asian Recipes
- Main Courses Recipes
- Meat Recipes
- Recipes with Cooking Videos from Thomas Sixt
- Starters & Appetizers
OTHER LANGUAGES: German