In this article we will deal in detail with the preparation of ribs. The spare rib recipe shows you different variants for marinades and seasoning mixes which we know in recent times as “rubs”.
Surely one contribution to this topic is better than many? Therefore, here is the ribs-summary which, in addition to the product knowledge and the purchase of everything important to spice mixtures, marinades and the optimal use in the kitchen and garden!
You can print out the secrets around the popular peeling rib and take them with you into the kitchen. As a professional chef, I am happy to pass on the most important tips for ribs that are sure to succeed.
Get inspired to cook for yourself and send me your questions using the comment function at the bottom of the page.
1. Product Knowledge and Shopping Tips
We all know spare ribs from the meat counter, where you can usually get the raw product without marinade. Personally, I prefer to buy unmarinated ribs and then romp around in my own world of taste.
Unmarinated ribs are first choice when shopping – we conjure up the taste ourselves!Recommends Chef Thomas Sixt
Ribs that have already been cooked or marinated have a big disadvantage: Mostly pickling salt is used for seasoning, this salt is unfortunately not good for the stomach, intestines and health. In addition, these are usually pre-cooked ribs. I simply don’t like them, for me the typical grilled meat mouthfeel is missing here, so I prefer to eat a boiled prime beef named “Tafelspitz“.
You’re not getting any unseasoned spare ribs? Buy raw marinated prime ribs and wash them down for your own seasoning!Recommended by Chef Thomas Sixt
I learned to cook in a 19-point restaurant with a Michelin star, the circus, which is partly made around the ribs, is totally strange to me and I don’t understand many things about it. Usually you can only buy “normal” spare ribs from us. These ribs need about 30 minutes on the grill. You can also cook the ribs with a lid or grill them indirectly longer on the edge.
Precooking the German ribs is neither necessary nor does it promise a better taste experience. We only do this because of the shelf life, because meat on the bone simply spoils faster.
The pre-cooking of the ribs comes from another country, the USA. From there we also know 3-2-1 ribs: This stands for a preparation time of 6 hours, of which 3 hours are smoking, 2 hours steaming 1 hour glazing. Not even a roast pork from Bavaria with the preferred pieces of meat pork belly or pork neck needs that long. But where do these long preparation times come from?
Very simple: The piglets are cut differently in the USA and therefore more meat remains on the ribs. Thicker pieces of meat have to be cooked longer to soften the meat. It certainly doesn’t need the 6 hours for that and I assume that this recipe was made by a cowboy without any cooking skills :-).
Back to our home made ribs: I’ve included a picture below so you can find one at the butcher’s. Let’s take a look at the most important ways of preparing them next.
2. Tips for preparation in the oven
The oven version has some decisive advantages: It is very fast, you don’t have to worry about the ribs and the preparation is sure to succeed, you can save yourself heating up the grill :-).
Step by Step Instructions How to Prepare Ribs in the Oven:
- Preheat oven without trays hot air stage at 220° C.
- Preheating means: The oven should have reached the set temperature!
- Wash the ribs and dry them.
- Cover the baking tray or trays with baking paper.
- Season the ribs and place them on the baking tray with the curved side down, arching upwards.
- Grill the ribs in the oven for 35-45 minutes and serve.
- Additionally, you can brush your ribs with a marinade for the last 10 minutes and then glaze them in the oven.
“Rub” is nothing but the dry seasoning for the ribs. The seasoning is added to my ribs just before cooking, sometimes even later…Recommends Chef Thomas Sixt
It’s easy and quick, it’s not a circus and you can enjoy wonderful, home-made spare ribs. By the way, you don’t need a higher temperature, otherwise the ribs will dry quickly. The baking paper is heat-stable up to 220°C and the baking tray is quickly cleaned again.
3. Tipps für die Zubereitung auf dem Grill
The grill variant is particularly popular, I prefer the charcoal grill over the gas grill, because the coal has a positive influence on the taste. I like it smoky at this point and simply find the resulting taste better. Sometimes I put a few small pieces of beech wood into the embers and wait until the wood is almost burned down. My ribs fry indirectly next to it and keep the fine beech wood aroma. That tastes delicious!
Step by Step Guide Ribs on the Grill:
- Wash and dry the ribs, then put them in a cool place.
- Preheat the grill, the embers should have taken on a white colour.
- The grill grate must be hot and preheated
- Season the ribs sparingly just before serving and place them directly on the hot griddle.
- Important: I leave out marinades and herbs at this point, these ingredients would only burn!
- Grill the ribs on both sides for about 30 minutes, possibly cooking them indirectly on the edge with or without a lid.
- Shortly before serving, mix the remaining spices in oil and brush them onto the ribs.
- Alternatively, apply the marinade and glaze the ribs again over the grill embers.
Rippchen vormarinieren ist Blödsinn: Salz enzieht Wasser, viele Marinaden verbrennen. Lieber später bzw. im Verlauf des Grillvorganges nach und nach würzen bzw. die Marinade kurz vor dem Servieren auftragen und die Ripperl final glasieren!Recommends Chef Thomas Sixt
4. How to Handle the Marinades
Marinades are always liquid and consist of aromatics such as garlic, lemon peel and onions as well as oil. Marinades can be chunky or very finely mixed, that is a matter of taste.
As a man in the kitchen I always cut the ingredients finely first and then use the mortar. I think the taste is better then, in the world people mix too much anyway!
Adding sugar has proven to be a good idea because the sugar caramelises during preparation and conjures up a great flavour on the ribs. I don’t want to list the marinades here, because everything is listed further down in the recipe.
Marinades for grilling are always prepared fresh and zeinah, garlic and onions can ferment quickly at hot temperatures!Recommends Chef Thomas Sixt
5. Use Rub and Spice Mixtures
In a small internet screening I found out Most rubs on the market are a mixture of spices and salt. Therefore please always season just before grilling. If you put the salt on the meat too early, it will simply pull out the meat juice and make the ribs dry.
If you do not want to do without marinating for hours, prepare a mixture without salt and sugar yourself and add the salt and sugar just before cooking.
Apply BBQ Rub and spice mixes with salt just before cooking, so the ribs stay nice and juicy!Recommends Chef Thomas Sixt
6. Recipe Spare Ribs
In the following instructions I show you my best variations for delicious ribs.
- sweet paprika
- brown sugar
- 4 cl Rum
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 4 pinches curry
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp brown sugar
- 4 CL Cognac
- 1 bunch Thyme
- 1 pc Garlic clove fein gewürfelt
- 1/2 pc Chili
- 1 pc Lemon
- 2-3 tbs Olive oil
- 2 tbs Soy sauce
- 3 tbs Teriyaki sauce
- 1 tbs White wine vinegar
- 1 clove Ginger fein geschnitten
- 1 pc Garlic clove
- 1 pc Lime
- 4 pc Garlic clove fein gewürfelt
- 80 ml Ketchup
- 3-4 tbs Sunflower oil
- 6 tbs Soy sauce
- 2 tbs Honey
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tbs Paprika noble sweet
- Unpack the raw, unmarinated ribs, wash them under cold running water and dry them. Prepare an appropriate tray or other suitable container for seasoning and marinating. Unpack and wash the marinated ribs and refine them individually with less seasoning.
- Sparingly apply pepper, paprika and curry to the ribs. Sprinkle salt and sugar on the ribs just before cooking. Grill the ribs or prepare them in the oven, the variant with rum I only do in the garden, I flambé the ribs shortly before serving (please be careful!)
- Mix paprika, smoked paprika and curry and rub the prepared ribs with it. If necessary, leave to marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours. Sprinkle the ribs with salt and pepper just before cooking. Flambé with the cognac just before serving. Attention, I only do the flambé in the garden. Please be careful – I assume no liability!
- Season the ribs with salt and cook immediately on the grill or in the oven. Pluck the thyme, you can also use dried herbs, finely chop the garlic and grate it finely with a little salt, add the chilli finely chopped and finely grate the lemon peel. Mix all the ingredients with olive oil and marinate the ribs several times with a brush and finish cooking.
- Reduce soy sauce and Teriyaki sauce in a pot by half. Grind finely chopped ginger and garlic in a mortar with the warm reduction. Rub the ribs with the marinade shortly before cooking. Cook in the oven or on the grill, sprinkle lime grated on the ribs just before serving, the aroma is best developed on the edges when cooking indirectly. Cut the ribs open and serve.
- Finely chop the garlic clove with the remaining ingredients without salt in a mortar or blender. Barbecue: Salt the ribs and grill them for 20 minutes, then brush them several times with the marinade and finish cooking. Oven: Season the marinade with salt and rub the ribs with the marinade. Cook at 220°C and reduce the temperature as the ribs begin to brown.